Popular Tags: [View All]
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any idea in getting this Japanese home computer platform in? From time to time I find some X1 games which I can't add (some do get added because they also have a PC-8801 and/or Sharp X68000 release too).

The X1 was Sharp's compeditor to NEC's PC-8801 platform.

Here is a Wiki Artichle about it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X1_(computer)

Basically I can say this much as a quick note:
The platform is based on the 8 Z80 CPU (same as the Sinclair/Timex computers, among a few other), 64kb RAM and 4-48kb on V-RAM.
It was introduced in 1982 and was succeeded by the X68000 (using the 16-bit 68000 CPU that is also used in the Amiga 500, Sega Genesis and Macintosh SE - among others).

When looking at MobyGames there are 217 games registered as Sharp X1 games: https://www.mobygames.com/browse/games/sharp-x1/
And that's just one source.

Any thoughts on this? Too rare/obscure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Sharp X1
If it's a distinct system with its own range of games surely it should have its own entry?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
If it's a distinct system with its own range of games surely it should have its own entry?
It was some of the Japanese computers that fought for the market (PC-88, X1 and FM-7 - among others); Kind of the Japanese Commodore/Spectrum/Atari war of you will. Software (including games) weren't interchangeable on the platforms, so many games for the PC-88 also came for the X1.
The second war became PC-98, X68000 and FM Towns. Most games made for PC88 were also made for X1 - kind of like when you look at Commodore 64 games there are usually often also a Speccy and/or Atari tape available.

It was of course the PC-88 that we the most popular of them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
If it has at least some 10 games released for that platform only, then it should be in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
If it has at least some 10 games released for that platform only, then it should be in.
I am only aware of one game made exclusively for the Sharp X1 (Brain Breaker - an side view action adventure game from 1985), but at least 217 titles that was published for the X1 platform (many which also were published for PC-88 and MSX)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyCatman wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
I am only aware of one game made exclusively for the Sharp X1 (Brain Breaker - an side view action adventure game from 1985), but at least 217 titles that was published for the X1 platform (many which also were published for PC-88 and MSX)

Well, then the X1 platform should be in, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
CrazyCatman wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

Well, then the X1 platform should be in, right?
I do not know if one unique game qualifies, but I suppose that 200+ titles do.
However: I am also a little concerned of "flooding" the database with obscure platforms, as I do not know how many users actually are using the X1 (or even have been using as I think it was only on the Japanese market unlike the earlier Sharp MZ).

But at least the coin is inserted; then let's see if the game will be played
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CrazyCatman wrote:
However: I am also a little concerned of "flooding" the database with obscure platforms, as I do not know how many users actually are using the X1 (or even have been using as I think it was only on the Japanese market unlike the earlier Sharp MZ).

Number of using users isn't an issue. If it's a platform for gaming, it should be in the database. There cannot be any "flooding" as long as the information is relevant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
CrazyCatman wrote:

Number of using users isn't an issue. If it's a platform for gaming, it should be in the database. There cannot be any "flooding" as long as the information is relevant.
In that case I hope an admin will pop by soon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
CrazyCatman wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
CrazyCatman wrote:

If there are only a few games, I think "Other" is the better platform option and a geeklist/ tagging system is better suited for further diversification. But with over 200 titles, I think you should add it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
CrazyCatman wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
CrazyCatman wrote:

If there are only a few games, I think "Other" is the better platform option and a geeklist/ tagging system is better suited for further diversification. But with over 200 titles, I think you should add it.
Great! Ehm. How? I thought this was the way to add it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
CrazyCatman wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:
CrazyCatman wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
CrazyCatman wrote:

Great! Ehm. How? I thought this was the way to add it
laugh
Indeed. Sort of.

I hadn't forgotten users can't submit platforms. Nope. Totally not. blush

Sharp X1

You can now add hardware and games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
THE MAVERICK
United States
Roseville
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
_Kael_ wrote:
I hadn't forgotten users can't submit platforms. Nope. Totally not. blush

There has always been a way for users to submit platforms. I've submitted ten.

Here is the link to the submission form:

https://videogamegeek.com/item/create/videogameplatform
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Maverick wrote:

This should be added to the 'Misc' dropdown along with the other options.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jørgen K
Denmark
Copenhagen S
flag msg tools
Seaman recruit
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
The Maverick wrote:

This should be added to the 'Misc' dropdown along with the other options.
It was removed some years ago... Something about something... I need to find it in one of my old threads
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.