Lords of the Fallen
DmC: Devil May Cry – Bloody Palace
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
61 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: VGG QOTD 2019 May 5 - What aspect of modern gaming annoys you the most? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
What aspect of modern gaming annoys you the most?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gambling by a myriad of other names in order to avoid the legal implications but still function in the same way psychologically and economically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh God the constant insistence on online multiplayer gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Dyke
England
London, England.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The abundance of games that focus entirely on ripping each other apart instead of working together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
All the things the industry does to give you less of a quality experience, including, but not limited to: microtransactions (including lootboxes) in games you paid for, nickel & dime DLC, releasing unfinished games to be updated later, the whole idea of live services, always online functionality...

If I was to pick just one of those, I'd probably go with microtransactions, as those are the most obviously wrong in my opinion (a method of monetization borrowed from free to play games, which themselves introduced the entirely idiotic concept that you can have something a lot of people worked on for many months or even years for free), and in addition serve as insidious tools for messing with the balance of even purely single-player experiences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Anything that requires paying extra for necessary parts of the game, after you've already paid for it. Pay to win (or to get past a specific, intentional, roadblock in the game) is the worst of the worst.

Subcription for an online game can be okay, as long as the monthly payments are reasonable, and the initial start-up cost wasn't anywhere near the cost of a complete non-subscription game.

Lack of decent single-player is annoying too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I would prefer it if the transaction between the consumer and the manufacturer be transparent.

So when a game spies on me or rakes data, or when they ask for microtransactions I don't like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam K
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like the pay to win micro transactions. Pop ups advertising in-game content constantly are annoying - just give me the announcement of new content once and let me get on with my gaming. Better yet is to have an announcements/news area that you go to or not depending on whether you're interested.

The ones that are just for aesthetic bling are tolerable as are the cheap dlc options on otherwise complete games (borrowing from board game apps - ticket to ride doesn't bug me because the game is complete by itself with just the standard usa map and the extra maps are both reasonably cheap and not particularly advertised).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
"Gamer" culture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
I hadn't thought of the "gambling" angle that others are bringing up, but I guess it's just because I've steered clear of that entirely.

I'd better not answer the question, because "modern gaming" to me could be anything since 1995 or so. And some of that might seem like ancient gaming to others.

Let's just say there have been trends I've had no interest in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WalkingDeadMann wrote:
The ones that are just for aesthetic bling are tolerable as are the cheap dlc options on otherwise complete games (borrowing from board game apps - ticket to ride doesn't bug me because the game is complete by itself with just the standard usa map and the extra maps are both reasonably cheap and not particularly advertised).

Ticket to Ride is obviously complete with only one map because that's the form in which the board game was originally designed and published. I wonder, though, whether it would still have been seen that way had the video game version come first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I believe that there are too many zombie based games. That is what annoys me the most.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"The Ravens of VGG - 2016-2019"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AAA style over substance, acidic gaming communities, paywall content segregation, the death of offline couch coop in favour of online multiplayer to the point that there is now boxed video games in my collection which are already no more then useless bundles of physical material as their associated servers were switched off long ago.

People that cheat. Seriously just go and play another game if you can't play this one without god mode switched on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
"Gamer" culture.

Same
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
mbmbmbmbmb
Trolls that reside in many MMO games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Gambling by a myriad of other names in order to avoid the legal implications but still function in the same way psychologically and economically.

manukajoe wrote:
Oh God the constant insistence on online multiplayer gulp

Lord_Kristof wrote:

If I was to pick just one of those, I'd probably go with microtransactions, as those are the most obviously wrong in my opinion (a method of monetization borrowed from free to play games, which themselves introduced the entirely idiotic concept that you can have something a lot of people worked on for many months or even years for free), and in addition serve as insidious tools for messing with the balance of even purely single-player experiences.

Peristarkawan wrote:
"Gamer" culture.

Nailed it. Would be hard to choose among these. And while it certainly falls under "gamer culture," I would add:

Fervent, naive, uncritical, fragile, born-yesterday, anticipation-obsessed fandom; fandom as identity; fandom that seeks to define, claim, and defend the presumptive validation of unreleased games; fandom as emotional vulnerability that seeks to pre-empt disappointment at all costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
I believe that there are too many zombie based games. That is what annoys me the most.

NSFW

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Live Services" and all that they entail:

1) Microtransactions

2) Loot Box gambling

3) "Engagement" (ie making games more grindy than is reasonable or otherwise creating problems (armor and weapons wearing out too quickly, for example) and then selling ways to bypass the problems with real money).

4) Multiplayer everything (You thought Mass Effect 3 should be winnable by simply completing single player mode since it's a single player game? Silly you, you HAVE to compete in multiplayer or the best endings will be gated away from you until gamers are outraged enough to create petitions to fix all of the things wrong with the ending including this).

5)Constant online connections for games or you can't access the game or get the right endings (a problem which still exists for ME3. If my internet goes down while I'm playing, it's possible that the good endings will be gated away from me).

6) A dearth of single player games because they don't make 1000% profit returns like FIFA and Battlefield and Fortnight and Apex. Single player games simply don't offer as much for live services "recurrent monetization" models.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
The aspect of "this is the last game you'll ever need in life"

I.e, cramming extra stuff and achievements and stuff you can do and new game+ and "get the final ending" or "discover all endings" or "did you know you can craft your own blablabla", or, generally put, not just being a goddamn game, but a lifestyle.

That, and microtransactions. But I never play those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:

They come in waves.

Just like zombies... zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cricky wrote:
GeoffreyB wrote:

They come in waves.

Yeah. But they could have had the courtesy to be Romero-like zombies and just slowly shuffle onto the market. I was never a fan of fast zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Cricky wrote:
GeoffreyB wrote:

They come in waves.

Yeah. But they could have had the courtesy to be Romero-like zombies and just slowly shuffle onto the market. I was never a fan of fast zombies.

I think the real problem is the nature of FPS (which is where you see most of the zombie games). FPS needs waves of enemies for you to fight. It can drop you in the middle of a military battlefield or ... zombies. Zombies explain why there are endless enemies for you to shoot. No one questions zombies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
The aspect of "this is the last game you'll ever need in life"

I.e, cramming extra stuff and achievements and stuff you can do and new game+ and "get the final ending" or "discover all endings" or "did you know you can craft your own blablabla", or, generally put, not just being a goddamn game, but a lifestyle.

I don't like the idea of cramming everything but the kitchen sink into a game either, but I love the idea of a lifestyle game--one game for life. I just wish I could make it work for myself. Because there's so much around, I've ended up being a dabbler, and I'm disappointed about that.

I admire the person who says, "I'm not much into games, but I play [chess, bridge, Civilization, D&D, or whatever]; I'll be playing that all my life."

All this jumping around from one game to another, wading through the thousands of games available to play, is perhaps the aspect of modern gaming that annoys me the most. Personally I could do without the embarrassment of riches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
All this jumping around from one game to another, wading through the thousands of games available to play, is perhaps the aspect of modern gaming that annoys me the most. Personally I could do without the embarrassment of riches.

I see your point, but I do think we have different expectations upon what a game is – for me, it's mostly a work of art, something personal, like a book or a story. There is no "the one and only" story, or painting, or sculpture really – it's not the point of sculpting or painting or books. They are all different, and express different things. So what annoys me there is when they try to tie you to it.

If games is a plaything, something you play to train or tantalize your brain, then I'm all with you – would be wonderful to have one game to delve into. But that's not at all how I play video games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysti_Fogg wrote:
paralipsis wrote:
Cricky wrote:
GeoffreyB wrote:

They come in waves.

I think the real problem is the nature of FPS (which is where you see most of the zombie games). FPS needs waves of enemies for you to fight. It can drop you in the middle of a military battlefield or ... zombies. Zombies explain why there are endless enemies for you to shoot. No one questions zombies.

Maybe a game with zompires instead could be a nice compromise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.