Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: VGG QOTD 2019 May 6 - How long is your ideal gaming session? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
How long is your ideal gaming session? Do you prefer marathon sessions of several hours, small chunks of time, or somewhere in between? How much does this vary from game to game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy finding a great game to really get immersed in and just to be able to play it for hours at a time, but those long gaming sessions don't really happen anymore with all the daily responsibilities and other things I want to get done and stuff.

I'm pretty happy to get a solid hour and a half or two hours to game, which is more feasible, but still infrequent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WDP
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My ideal gaming session is about 36 hours, during which time I get neither sleepy nor hungry and also somehow accomplish a great deal of physical work for the good of the household.

I've always liked Victoria for the first part of that. I still haven't bought the DLC that lets me get the second part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably 3-6 hours. Enough time to actually become immersed in a game world and enjoy the full dive experience while losing track of the day, but not so long as to actually lose the whole day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
2-4 hours. Uninterrupted. I find I can't relax and enjoy myself if I think someone might come and stop me to attend to something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerdion wrote:
2-4 hours. Uninterrupted. I find I can't relax and enjoy myself if I think someone might come and stop me to attend to something else.

That's about right for me too. On a day off, I'll go a lot longer, but part of me then resents how long the game is. I'd rather play a game that can be completed in 4 hours, and then play two of them back-to-back on a lazy day off.

In practice, though, I play games that run a lot longer. I just save and reload, playing them in 2- to 4-hour chunks of time. And sometimes I'll squeeze in as little as 15-30 minutes before getting ready for work in the morning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I don't feel like I need to be playing multiple hours to get lost in a game. I actually kind of appreciate games that are able to be put down 30-60 minutes in and I won't feel like I stopped at a terrible spot. I think that's why my gaming has switched more to things like roguelikes and anything turn based.

But that's a double edged sword, because I feel there are games I would have liked a bunch more if I could devote a decent amount of time to the game early on. Breath of the Wild's controls were not very nice to people who didn't play too much and took breaks. Too many options and controls to remember all the stuff you can do. But I'm sure if I pushed through the game in bigger chunks and faster, I wouldn't have noticed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerdion wrote:

About right for me too. Every now and then there are games I dive into for longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Gerdion wrote:

About right for me too. Every now and then there are games I dive into for longer.

Same for me as well. Around 3 hours seems to be my sweet spot if I'm really enjoying a game. On occasion, I've played closer to 5 or 6 hours. Any more than that -- even I'm enjoying the game -- starts to feel like I've wasted too much of my day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Realistically, 2-4 hours, since I can happily spend half-a-day immersed in a game world and spend the rest of the day getting stuff done.

Ideally, in a world where I have no outside obligations, 6 hours is nice - especially for games heavy on exploration or travel.

There once was a time when I loved to spend 8+ hours playing games, but I have too many other things I'd also like to do these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"The Ravens of VGG - 2016-2019"
United Kingdom
Scarborough
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Life limits the possible times for all gaming sessions. I think I'd spend hours playing whatever game I'm currently hot for if there was nothing else to worry about.

I do find even when binging I will eventually want a break though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For "bigger commitment games", typically the AAA titles or those with longer involvement (e.g. The Halos, Resistance, and other FPS), minimum 30 minutes, but 1 to 3 hours. It's slower, but with half an hour to an hour at a time, I can chip away enough at the game each time that in due time, you reach the ending, and are done with the game!

For more casual and/or lighter games, 30 seconds minimum, to 30 minutes. Especially mobile games like Angry Birds, or various games by Donut Games. These games are level based where each level only takes 5 seconds to 45 seconds EACH to play. Hell, I can load up the game, jump into a level here, and be done with it, before a triple AAA game loads (let alone the time to put the game disc in, boot up the console, etc.).

When on emulators, the whole system and game states load up so fast, the playtimes it lean closer towards mobile than AAA games on console/PC

Last but not least is a vg lounge where I play StarCraft 2... because it's not local, 6 to 9 hours is my preferred allotment. Interestingly enough, if I get a day pass, then I need to play more than 8.33 hours for it to pay for itself, which I do.

The "fun" part is when I'm into the 12-hour mark... it depends on how much sleep I've gotten, other factors, but I've actually done 15 hours of on-and-off gaming one time b/c of that. No joke, I played a match of coop, and must've nodded off for about 4 minutes of the 22 minute match. (I don't think my partner even noticed, but it's one of those types of games where you don't need full cooperation and communications 100% of the time). After that game, I got "my wind" back, and played through closing just fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Until I get bored of a game. Usually 2-4 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Same, about 2-3 hours. Let's me get fully into it without eating the whole day.

Whole day is nice too, sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:

You get bored?

If I get bored with a game, I abandon it entirely, once and for all. But I'm more likely to get frustrated than bored. And the amount of time I put into it is irrelevant. I can play all day and long into the night without getting bored, as long as it's a game I like.

Occasionally, I run into uneventful stretches and say to myself, "This is boring." But even then I don't feel like stopping. I still want to get past that slow stretch and on with the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
just a few more minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer playing in 30-minute, 45-minute and 1-hour chunks. I try to wait 3 hours before playing again, but lately I have been playing Pokemon Silver between two Nintendo Switch game times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
just a few more minutes.

This is the very best answer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Desi W.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on whether it's a new-to-me game or not. For a brand new game, since I usually go with story-based/RPG-style games, I want 4-6 hours to get into the story/world. After that, 2-4 hours is fine. I feel a little guilty if I go for more than 4 hours if I'm not sick or otherwise physically down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess a few hours at a time. I used to love to play all day, but screen fatigue plagues me nowadays, and I need a good sized break if I'm gaming all day or I can get cranky and have migraines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Several hours, preferably.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
GeoffreyB wrote:

You get bored?

If I get bored with a game, I abandon it entirely, once and for all. But I'm more likely to get frustrated than bored. And the amount of time I put into it is irrelevant. I can play all day and long into the night without getting bored, as long as it's a game I like.

Occasionally, I run into uneventful stretches and say to myself, "This is boring." But even then I don't feel like stopping. I still want to get past that slow stretch and on with the game.
We're talking about sessions right? So it's possible to get bored of the session, but still want to finish the game in the long run, via future sessions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2-4 hours. On the rare occasion I have the day to myself and no external obligations, I'll do multiple sessions of that, breaking it up with housework.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
GeoffreyB wrote:

You get bored?

We're talking about sessions right? So it's possible to get bored of the session, but still want to finish the game in the long run, via future sessions.

Yeah--except that I never do. I play until I get to a good stopping point (ideally I've just won, but it could be that I'm in a good place to save) and there's something else I need to do.

I don't remember the last time I said to myself, "Enough of this game; I'm bored with it, and I think I'll go do something else now."

Just a few minutes ago, for example, I won a game of AoW3 after playing for a couple hours. I've been nodding off in my chair all evening, and I have to go to bed. But my gaming self is saying, "Aw, c'mon. Can't I start another game and play just a few turns?"

I get tired of reading, watching videos, and other things after a while. But I don't seem to ever get tired of game playing. Life just won't let me do it continuously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll join the 2-3/2-4 choir. I'd love to say that a whole day is preferable, but I'd be kidding myself. Nowadays, unless a game really sits well with me, I tend to have my share after 2-3 hours and feel fine with playing something else and return later.

I find that if I force myself to sit through a level, or section of the game after I feel done with it for the session, my enjoyment tends to sink hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.