Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: VGG QOTD 2019 May 7 - What was your most agonizing defeat? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
We've all had those moments where we were so close to winning, defeating a boss, etc., but it all falls apart at the last minute in the most devastating of ways. So what moment(s) comes to mind when you think of your most agonizing defeat in a video game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had several (due in large part to me sucking at most things), but I just had one of those moments in iRacing. I ran three races tonight, and the first two were a wash. I just screwed up and wrecked out early. I decided I'd give it one more go after running around 40-50 practice laps and finding good speed. I qualified 4th and didn't make any stupid decisions. It was a 20 lap race, and I found myself in second with 4 laps to go. I managed to pass the leader even though he was putting some nasty blocks on me, but I got loose in the next turn and he pulled alongside me. We raced that way until there were two laps left, at which point I got really loose and started to slide. I corrected it, but slowed down significantly in the process. The next thing I know, I'm spinning around after someone rear ended me. I could taste that victory, and yet I let it get away. So close.

Is it my most devastating defeat? I don't know. But it certainly stings pretty bad and is the most notable in recent memory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The ones where it puts you through a gruelling fight which you have to win, only to frame it as you losing anyway.
Looking at you, Prince of Persia: Warrior Within. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Final Fantasy II ROM crashed and burned in the final dungeon, eating my save game. I still never beat that game, and it remained the only Final Fantasy game I hadn't beat until FF XIII came out (which I'm buying as soon as it hits $5 on a sale).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Missing one of the last arrows on a Dance Dance Revolution song, failing a perfect.

But I did it just 15 minutes later, so it didn't bug me so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last boss on Final Fantasy VIII. I've been stuck on her for a long time cry

It's at the point where I almost don't feel like streaming it because what's really so entertaining about me dying a bunch of times? Get to the 4th phase and die and have to spend a ridiculous amount of time just to get back there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
The most recent one I can think of was Yakuza Kiwami 2.

45 hours of game play or so, hadn't died a single time in the game.

Got to the final boss and died in a .3 second quick time event, one which insta-killed me, even though my health was almost full.

I then realized I had to re-play the entire boss fight.

It was super frustrating.

I ended up failing that quick time event another several times. I almost gave up on the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew McClain
United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.twitch.tv/cruxcapacitor
mbmbmbmbmb
This isn't exactly what you're asking, but one of the most crushing defeats in a video game in general comes from Ninja Gaiden.

The game is frustrating for casual players in general. The knock back from taking damage is pronounced, so that taking damage sends you back a solid amount. The game has plenty of platforming, so that those knock backs can send you sprawling into a pit to your death. To exacerbate this, greatly, enemies spawn when you reach their spawn point, and if you move backwards, you reactivate their spawn point. So enters knock backs, which sends you backwards, and can reactivate the enemy that knocked you back in the first place. If that wasn't bad enough, there are enemies like birds which swoop back and forth making them hard to kill and avoid, knocking you back in the most inconvenient of places.

That is all to say, the game is difficult and frustrating and you will encounter many deaths. This is not the crushing defeat that I'm talking about, however. Normally, after a death, you start over at the beginning of the screen. If you have to use a continue, the game brings you back to the beginning of the section, which might be a few screens back and undo some progress, but still lets you hammer through and keep progressing.

The Acts get progressively harder, throwing more and more enemies at you, and Act V and VI in particular are brutal, with an endless assault of enemies. Getting through to the boss of Act VI takes a lot of repetition for a casual players, many deaths, and a lot of patience. At the end of Act VI, there's a mini-boss, after which you begin the last boss.

The last boss is comprised of three segments, and is wildly, disproportionately more difficult than any other boss in the game. It doesn't take much damage to die in Ninja Gaiden, and the last boss has three chances to kill you. On top of that, your power-ups can't last through three segments, so at best you can get a quick kill on the first segment but will have to use your sword for the other two. (There's a trick to help with the other phases that lets the player attack more quickly, but casual players aren't likely to know this.) So suffice to say that defeating the last boss is not trivial. Well, remember what I said about how a death usually starts you over at the beginning of the screen? Dying to the final boss sends you to the beginning of the Act. Take a single death to the hardest boss in the game and you have to begin Act VI - that brutal, punishing, enemy-laden Act VI - all over again. All over again, now knowing that if you die at the boss again you'll be stuck in an endless loop.

That's my vote for my most crushing defeat. Sure, Battletoads is more difficult, with limited continues, but you're prepared for this fact. Ninja Gaiden punishes you, but peppers forgiving checkpoints all through the game. Then at the final boss, the most difficult boss, it takes all those checkpoints away and makes you redo the hardest Act in the game all over again. Not even after a continue, but after a single death. It lifts you up, convinces you that you can do this, if you just have enough patience, and then says, "Think again..."

I did beat the game eventually, but my accomplishment of getting through the onslaught of enemies to get to the boss, only to be sent right back to the beginning was unspeakably brutal... Actually, maybe this is what you're asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
When Starcraft 2 first came out, I pushed a bunch of ranked games 1v1, and got "pretty good" (Don't get me wrong, I was a garbage cheeser who couldn't hold a candle to people with good fundamentals, but I was still pretty high up on the ladder.) I got invited to do a casted "tournament" of sorts. Well, it wasn't a tournament as much as a series of showmatches. I have no idea how legitimate it was, but I know a couple other people who were similar ranks that also played. I ended up getting my favorite map, against my least favorite race, and had no idea how the best people played. I had a strategy I am confident could have won, but I completely forgot one SMALL (but incredibly major) part of the strategy, by maybe 10-15 seconds. I got crushed. Oh well, I figured it was just nerves, and I could do better next time.... and I never got a chance to try again.

Overall, pretty minor. I was never destined to be a progamer or anything, but it's a defeat that I don't think I'll ever forget. It's been 9 years, I remember what happened clear as day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the original Final Fantasy, they wanted to discourage you from using Cure 4 during the final battle, so instead of giving it a numerical healing value, they made it so that it resets your HP to its maximum value.

And then they made it so that whenever you cast the spell, Chaos (the final boss) also cast the spell on himself. Due to the mechanics, it was far more beneficial to him than to you.

As a kid, I got 90% of the way through the fight once and then forgot/panicked and cast Cure 4. I did not pick up the game again until years later.

surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
The first time playing the end of Metroid and not escaping the basement before the explosion. I was near the top when I lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Mine's a Final Fantasy one also. The final boss in Final Fantasy X. I just could not beat it with the party I had. Self-healing enemies always annoy me but this was the worst. Later i got an additional summon which could have helped but couldn't face trekking back through the final level, so technically I still haven't beaten the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
The one that comes to mind is the final battle in Icewind Dale. I had played the whole game on normal difficulty, and I really wanted to finish up on the same setting, but I just couldn't do it. I must have reloaded and refought the battle a couple dozen times before I resorted to turning the difficulty down a notch.

Some time after I won, I thought of another trick I might have tried. Maybe it would have worked, but I was too exhausted to go back and try again.

I run into a lot of defeats that are agonizing in that sense. As to the kind where you come within a hairbreadth of victory and then blow it, I'm drawing a blank right now. No, wait ...

In a game of Age of Wonders III not too long ago, I risked my leader in a battle and lost her. I had forgotten that my throne city had been taken over a turn or two before, so my leader had no place to return to, and the game abruptly ended. That wasn't so bad, though, as I was losing anyway.

Come to think of it, there have been numerous Master of Orion games I was sure I was winning, when suddenly I lost a galactic-council election and the game. Hard for me to keep tabs on population and votes when I'm out to conquer the galaxy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried a hard run for SMT Nocturne and got trounced. I already had 10 or so hours in the game when I ran into the 1st candelabra fight with the bullfighter. I found out I was way under leveled so I started grinding, but I was dying about once an hour grinding in the sewers because any surprise attacks usually meant a party wipe and hard had more surprise attacks. After about five times getting party wiped trying to level up I said this isnt worth it. I wasnt even sure I was good enough to beat the later levels if I was already having so much trouble, but I was sure it wasnt worth it either way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Debbie Downer here!

Performing CPR on my Dad waiting for EMS to show up. Agonizing defeat. Video game defeats mean crap to me. It's all about perspective!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
Debbie Downer here!

Performing CPR on my Dad waiting for EMS to show up. Agonizing defeat. Video game defeats mean crap to me. It's all about perspective!

Well that escalated. Sorry to hear!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Lurkfish wrote:
Debbie Downer here!

Ignore me, I'm in a mood. Another active shooter at a Colorado school has left me in a dark place about humanity and life and what is really important. Genuinely sorry to bring my baggage here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kirby Star Allies, The Ultimate Choice on Soul Melter Difficulty. I actually managed to get to Void Termina several times and Void Soul twice, but I had a hard time getting Vividria and Chef Kawasaki to heal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One comes to mind (will post back if I can remember others).

Back in 2011 when StarCraft 2 was on my home (and none of the expansions have been yet released, as that's the year it came out)…

After I finished the campaign, I'd "goof off" with some of the Arcade maps. One of them had minerals in a maze formation, which formed a sort of path for a tower defense type game. Those mins are invincible, but the game went on for so long (around 3 hours IIRC) that one of the mineral patches actually got mined out! That allowed enemy units to circumvent the usual path (as well are our laid out defenses), and overrun us!

I was most upset b/c the match was close to over anyways (with us winning). One player noticed it (too late), and pinged that spot moments before the min patch disappeared. I noticed it too (too late), and would've had a worker mine someone else.

Everyone else was pissed. One of them even posted "fuck you!" into the game chat. I didn't really mind that (looking back, it's still "just a game". And I'd like to think I'm better than that sort of behavior). I'm more so upset that I should've noticed it since I did scan my layout on several occasions, looking for weaknesses to shore up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
Lurkfish wrote:
Debbie Downer here!

Ignore me, I'm in a mood. Another active shooter at a Colorado school has left me in a dark place about humanity and life and what is really important. Genuinely sorry to bring my baggage here.

We've all been there. Very sorry to hear about this news and hear that it's so close to home.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
In the original Final Fantasy, they wanted to discourage you from using Cure 4 during the final battle, so instead of giving it a numerical healing value, they made it so that it resets your HP to its maximum value.

And then they made it so that whenever you cast the spell, Chaos (the final boss) also cast the spell on himself. Due to the mechanics, it was far more beneficial to him than to you.

As a kid, I got 90% of the way through the fight once and then forgot/panicked and cast Cure 4. I did not pick up the game again until years later.

surprise

Except that's not the actual mechanic. Chaos has a set of 8 spells that he rotates through, and a set of 4 enemy skills that he separately rotates through. On any given turn he'll randomly either attack, or cast the next spell on his list, or use the next skill on his list. So if you're familiar with the lists, you always know that he'll do one of exactly three things.

Anyway, CUR4 is simply the fourth spell on his list, after ICE3, LIT3, and SLO2. After that he casts FIR3, then ICE2, then FAST, and finally NUKE before starting over from the beginning of his list.

A common strategy for beating Chaos is to focus on powering up and keeping healed until he casts CUR4, and then to go all-out on him because after the first casting it takes him a while to work his way back to it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

surprise

Except that's not the actual mechanic. Chaos has a set of 8 spells that he rotates through, and a set of 4 enemy skills that he separately rotates through. On any given turn he'll randomly either attack, or cast the next spell on his list, or use the next skill on his list. So if you're familiar with the lists, you always know that he'll do one of exactly three things.

Anyway, CUR4 is simply the fourth spell on his list, after ICE3, LIT3, and SLO2. After that he casts FIR3, then ICE2, then FAST, and finally NUKE before starting over from the beginning of his list.

A common strategy for beating Chaos is to focus on powering up and keeping healed until he casts CUR4, and then to go all-out on him because after the first casting it takes him a while to work his way back to it again.

I'll make sure my 8-year old self gets the memo.

Weird, though. I could swear the only times I ever saw him cast Cure 4 was when I cast Cure 4. But, it was a long time ago, and even if I only saw it happen a couple of times, I would not have given much thought to it being a coincidence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
Lurkfish wrote:
Debbie Downer here!

No worries, I know the feeling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
Genuinely sorry to bring my baggage here.

Nothing to be sorry about. We all need to be reminded. Hang in there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the examples I can think of are the kind where it's designed to be a big defeat, like when you go after a boss without grinding your level high enough so it kills you in one hit with no way to dodge or block. Those aren't so bad, as long as you have an opportunity to save the game just beforehand, and it doesn't string you along for several minutes before effortlessly wiping you out.

A much more specific, recent example was playing the original Forza Motorsport about a week ago, where I got within one corner of winning a race that had frustrated me for years.

There's one particular event in the higher levels of career mode where you have to race 4 laps around the Blue Mountain Raceway in an unmodified Shelby Cobra. It's a fictional track that's loosely based on Mount Panorama (Bathurst), so there are lots of tight corners, technical sections, and elevation changes. It's a fun track with a good car, but in that game the Cobra is anything but. It's lightweight, ridiculously overpowered, and rides on what are effectively bicycle tires, which is the worst possible combination to take through a twisty track.

Anyway, after almost four full laps of sliding through almost every corner and just barely holding off the pack of AI cars behind me, the final corner was in sight - a tight 90° turn to the right. I let off the gas a second or two early just to make sure I got around cleanly...

Then one of the AI cars slams directly into me from behind, sending both of us into the tire barrier. angryangryangry

That specific event is the main reason I'd taken a break from playing the game years ago. So many failed attempts at it. None got anywhere near as close as that most recent one, so it doesn't seem impossible anymore, but it may still take several more tries to actually get there. Fortunately there were a bunch of other events I hadn't finished back then, so when I pulled the game out on a whim a couple weeks ago there were plenty of other, far-less-frustrating things to do without starting over from scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.