StarCraft
Braid
NFL 2K3
BurgerTime
The Black Mirror
Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet
Scarface: The World is Yours
Street Sports Basketball
Commander Keen: Aliens Ate My Babysitter!
Sky Force
The Black Cauldron
Sub Battle Simulator
Big Brain Wolf
Atlantis Evolution
Journey (2012)
Card Hunter
Metro: Last Light
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Swords & Sorcery
Dominion Online
Elite: Dangerous
Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
Don't Starve
Tomb Raider (2013)
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Lords of the Fallen
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
AI War: Vengeance of the Machine
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: VGG QOTD 2019 May 9 - Do you collect video game merchandise? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you collect video game merchandise? If you do, are there any particular franchises/characters/games you collect for? Do you collect for a variety of games or just a few specific ones?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never really been a big collector of video game merchandise. I've acquired a few things by happenstance -- some plushes, t-shirts, and the like -- and held onto them, but not really for collecting purposes. However, I have started to collect for Final Fantasy VIII. There were figurines released of each major character in the game, and I've been tracking down those where I can. I've also picked up a few posters and some promotional items. It sort of sparked an interest in me that I never knew I had. I don't see myself expanding beyond a few of my all-time favorite games, but as I get older, these things seem more important to me, probably as I desperately cling to my youth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, although only because I don't really collect merchandise in general. I do have a half-dozen little Final Fantasy 3d printed meeples on my computer desk though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a lot of 40K miniatures. From a certain point of view that could be considered merchandise for a number of different video games. Takes a bit of squinting to make it look that way though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
I do have some Pokemon cards if that counts. I don't have any plushies or other figurines though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
A few things

- Zelda T shirt and phone case
- Mass Effect jacket badge and phone case
- some Amiibo especially for Zelda
- a Mario Kart 8 figurine
- a Super Mario T shirt

Not really to collect, I definitely use these items.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I collect merchandise for Resident Evil and Disgaea, but that's about it.

The Resident Evil series gets a decent amount of merchandise. Collectible figures, toys, board games, unique controllers, soundtracks, art books, snow globes, energy drinks, etc.

The Disgaea series doesn't have quite as much stuff, but I have several plush Prinnies, some t-shirts, some figures, pencil boards, key/phone chains, soundtracks, art books, etc.

hannahxx wrote:
I've never truly been a major authority of computer game product. I've procured a couple of things unintentionally - a few plushes, shirts, and so forth - and clutched them, yet not by any means for gathering purposes. Be that as it may, I have begun to gather for Final Fantasy VIII. There were dolls discharged of each significant character in the amusement, and I've been finding those where I can. I've likewise grabbed a couple of notices and some limited time things. It kind of started an enthusiasm for me that I never realized I had. I don't see myself growing past a couple of my record-breaking most loved diversions, however as I get more seasoned, these things appear to be progressively essential to me, presumably as I frantically stick to my childhood

Welcome to the forum hannah! FFVIII was a great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
I've never really been a big collector of video game merchandise. I've acquired a few things by happenstance -- some plushes, t-shirts, and the like -- and held onto them, but not really for collecting purposes. However, I have started to collect for Final Fantasy VIII. There were figurines released of each major character in the game, and I've been tracking down those where I can. I've also picked up a few posters and some promotional items. It sort of sparked an interest in me that I never knew I had. I don't see myself expanding beyond a few of my all-time favorite games, but as I get older, these things seem more important to me, probably as I desperately cling to my youth

hannahxx wrote:
I've never truly been a major authority of computer game product. I've procured a couple of things unintentionally - a few plushes, shirts, and so forth - and clutched them, yet not by any means for gathering purposes. Be that as it may, I have begun to gather for Final Fantasy VIII. There were dolls discharged of each significant character in the amusement, and I've been finding those where I can. I've likewise grabbed a couple of notices and some limited time things. It kind of started an enthusiasm for me that I never realized I had. I don't see myself growing past a couple of my record-breaking most loved diversions, however as I get more seasoned, these things appear to be progressively essential to me, presumably as I frantically stick to my childhood

????? OK I'm confused. This is the same post but with some words replaced with synonyms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dandin wrote:
ghostpants wrote:

hannahxx wrote:

????? OK I'm confused. This is the same post but with some words replaced with synonyms.

Cool. And if Hannah's native language is Turkish, that must've been quite a feat.

(Merhaba, Hannah. Hoş geldin.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Dandin wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
I've never really been a big collector of video game merchandise. I've acquired a few things by happenstance -- some plushes, t-shirts, and the like -- and held onto them, but not really for collecting purposes. However, I have started to collect for Final Fantasy VIII. There were figurines released of each major character in the game, and I've been tracking down those where I can. I've also picked up a few posters and some promotional items. It sort of sparked an interest in me that I never knew I had. I don't see myself expanding beyond a few of my all-time favorite games, but as I get older, these things seem more important to me, probably as I desperately cling to my youth :P

hannahxx wrote:

Cool. And if Hannah's native language is Turkish, that must've been quite a feat.

Maybe. I'm a little less trusting. Looks a little like, let us just say... "procedural generation". I'm willing to be proved wrong, but I've seen patterns like this before lead to a post from said "user" in a couple of days that is clearly spammy and/or phishy using the cover of the existence of previous posts to bypass filtering of said content.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Maybe. I'm a little less trusting. Looks a little like, let us just say... "procedural generation". I'm willing to be proved wrong, but I've seen patterns like this before lead to a post from said "user" in a couple of days that is clearly spammy and/or phishy using the cover of the existence of previous posts to bypass filtering of said content.

And if that's the case, I just spoke to a bot in (attempted) Turkish for the first time ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. Maybe a cool knick-knack or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. Back when games provided maps I loved them and have the one for Morrowind. But I certainly didn't go out of my way to collect it, it came with the game box. I do have some merch from when I backed Obduction on Kickstarter, but the extras weren't really worth the price, so I generally don't bother for all those bells-and-whistles anymore. I don't really have room to store random video game merch when I need that room for board games and RPGs... and dice and minis!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
As for the QOTD...

I notice I tend to really like small things that are arbitrarily video game related. Glasses, coasters, maybe some small wall art or refrigerator magnets, things like that. Going to conventions, I've seen some pretty nifty looking stuff that's all video game related, so I've gotten a few small things like that. Friends of mine also got me a set of glasses that have characters from paper mario on them, so that's about all I have. Aside from those, I have started to really come to appreciate art styles in board and video games. Therefore, I am finding myself more interested in possibly finding some art that's board/video game related. There's a lot of interesting styles out there, I just haven't really pulled the trigger on something I'd hang on my wall. yet. I think I'm close, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't collect anything. Way back, when PC gaming was brand-new, there were very few games around, and it looked like the best ones (e.g., Civilization) might be around forever--like chess and other classic games, or like Monopoly and other long-in-print games. So if I liked one of those games, and merchandise had been available for it, I might have bought something. Just to show off or expand my hobby or something like that.

But now that there's such a glut of video games and series and franchises, I wouldn't know where to begin anymore. And if I did begin, whatever I acquired would seem like just a knickknack or a piece of trash. So, I don't even have any use for a game soundtrack or screen saver or anything. I see those things offered (sometimes free) and just shrug.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never have.

One thing I've never done is gotten rid of an old console. But I've definitely thinned down my games for each console, and for PS2/Wii/PS3/PS4, my "previously owned" games exceed currently owned.

I'm not sure I own a non-game or non-console piece of videogame merchandise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olden times....

I used collect Nintendo magazines (Nintendo Power, their strategy guides), cards, and stickers. I easily spent thousands of dollars there shake If I got a PayPal credit card, I probably could've gotten $500 worth of cashback alone since much of it was purchased on Ebay (paid via PayPal) wow When I did think about getting into a PP cc, I stopped myself right there, and just decided to cut my losses, and stop buying.

I ended up throwing out all of it b/c I had to move in a hurry for a new job. It was fun, but wasteful. It was also a "learning experience", and while I wasn't making as much money back then, I was even more aggressive about saving (went one winter using only 10 hours of heat. For the whole winter)

Nowadays, I still buy them, but nowhere near the level of "collection". It's mostly functional... T-shirts are comfy, and I'd prefer not to walk around without a shirt anyways. Showing off vg culture is just a bonus, although quite a bonus at that.

If there are other vg merch. that's also functional, I'll consider it too. Like vg stationary, fidget spinners. On rare occasions, I'll buy some decoration piece for my office desk (e.g. ceramic blue turtle shell, although I'm running low on space, so I've probably reached my cap. I've still got more flexibility on posters and other wall stuff (just got a new supply of pushpins).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
The closest to buy merchandise for me would have been a strategy guide. No T-shirts or hats or anything like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a number of Skylanders figures. You can argue that they're part of the game, but I got the first ones without the game, because they were neat figures (and on sale). Since getting the initial game, I've gotten a bunch more, though again, some were gotten for being a neat figure without any hope of using it... 'in game'.

Smudge has a few of the Disney Infinity figures. And we both have a number of Amiibos. None of them with any practical use planned. As you might guess, Smudge also has a good number of non-game figures as well.

Past that, we've had some FF X shirts (now worn out), because they had neat designs. And currently, we both have a couple Pokemon shirts. Oh, and Smudge trolled me with with a thermal Pikachu blanket gift a year ago. I call it my 'electric blanket'.

I think that's about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I often want to but there is rarly something I really like enough to buy. I do have the occasional shirt but its been a while and even the they were like the woot videogame inspired joke type.

I do want to accent my life with video game shoutouts but thats more about the project really. As an example I would like to make a borderlands gun chest for my project room or my back yard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've acquired a few things from some video game franchises - mostly Final Fantasy - but I don't consider myself a collector. I've got a couple plushes and quite a few tees since Shirt Punch started doing them. Got a couple things from those nerdy monthly subscription boxes, but I don't have much room to put such things.

I spotted the figurines from FFVII in a comic store as a young adult, but never bought them because they seemed so pricey. Although I might like to now that I have more disposable income, I don't really have a place to put them, so I tend towards more practical merchandise if I can find it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't really collect merchandise. I buy the game and then I'm usually happy. On rare occasions though I will buy game-related stuff but my mindset isn't that "it's from a game so I want it" it is "I like this thing on its own so I want it".

For example, I want to add stuff to my desk at work because it is boring to look at. I like the Nendoroids I see on other people's desks so I go on to look for one I like. I find that the Legend of Zelda BOTW nendoroid is fabulous looking and has tons of accessories. So I get it. So it is game merchandise - but it isn't my number one factor in buying it.

I'm rambling but I think you get the point so I'll stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a Kirby plushie, a Kirby magnet, and an Ice Climbers amiibo. I plan to get amiibo of Kirby, Luigi, Jigglypuff, Daisy and Duck Hunt. I like how Duck Hunt looks, I'm just not good with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

The exception to the rule has been the Dragon Age novels. They're perfect at what they're supposed to do: fill time between games in the series while making me want to play more games in the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
Far too much of it. I've been getting the Fallout themed Loot Crate for over a year now, I bought the collector's edition of Fallout 4 that came with the Pip-Boy, I have around half a dozen Amiibos, at least that many t-shirts...the list goes on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.