DmC: Devil May Cry – Bloody Palace
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
mbmbmbmbmb
Although, I will add, that I am very annoyed when I see a "remastered" game come out only a year after the original did. Just send a patch for everybody, o.k.? Or do it right the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally like them and embrace remakes and remasters gratefully, though they don't always end up better than the original. Rise of Nations, Age of Empires II, StarCraft Brood War, and Skyrim all got remasters that are strictly better in all ways.

Some remasters/remakes have pros and cons compared to the original, like Metro 2033 Redux, Black Mesa (or even Half Life Source), or Secret of Mana.

And then some are just straight up garbage, like D/Generation HD.

mafman6 wrote:
anyhoo
think of all those N64 and gamecube games that would rock with a new look. How is a revamped OoT not out yet?

Ocarina of Time has been updated and rereleased a couple times now. The 3DS release even has 3D graphics. They also released Mario 64 for the DS, adding some content and sharpening the graphics a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that a remake of ocarina of time seems to be a no brainer. Do you think it would be a success?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought a updated version of Fable for my Xbox on the chance I ever want to play through it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do like some remakes now that I think about it, Ducktales on PS3, Wizardry for SNES and PS1. With a remake I like improvements to the UI, graphics and maybe some small quality of life stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halo Master Chief Collection for Xbox One was nice. I played the first one for PC. I tried to install the 2nd one (compatible with WinXP not it was, but still better than "upgrading" to Windows Vista). Halo 2 here had a feature where you press a button on the controller to switch between classic Xbox graphics and remastered Xbox One.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mb
Bought Stronghold: Crusader HD. Is great to be able to play the old game on a modern sized monitor and be able to produce unlimited amounts of troops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WDP
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
_Kael_ wrote:
Bought Stronghold: Crusader HD. Is great to be able to play the old game on a modern sized monitor and be able to produce unlimited amounts of troops.

Isn't it? That cap got so frustrating in the original. But now we can build as far as we want. Distance is no problem!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tiwsman wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:

Isn't it? That cap got so frustrating in the original. But now we can build as far as we want. Distance is no problem!

Reminds me of some constraints in the original Final Fantasy XII. The game couldn't handle having lots of spell effects on screen at once, so in the endgame you could run into problems trying to rely on magic. If the effect limit had been reached, any spells on the verge of casting just got delayed until there was "room" for them visually, which was obviously a problem tactically.

Ancient history in the remaster.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
In two instances, yes. One was the recent BioShock collection. I only played through each of the three games once and wanted to revisit them. I was not disappointed (though 2 is still kinda meh for me). For the other, I've been picking up the Mega Man and Mega Man X Legacy Collections as of late. I only ever played through 3 and then 11 last Christmas in the core series and only beat the first X game, though it's my favorite of the two series. They're a little messy in terms of the port but the games are still great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
No way, I totally don't buy remasters or anything

*checks collection*
Disgaea, Disgaea PSP, Disgaea 1 Complete...

Um. Yeah, I'm totally onboard with remasters. If I liked the game enough the first time and the remaster has something other than prettier graphics, I'd go for it.

For others like Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker - I would bank on it despite having it for Gamecube. Because I don't have a Gamecube, I have a Wii which barely works. Remasters in this case could extend the life of games we love while making them better at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerdion wrote:
No way, I totally don't buy remasters or anything

*checks collection*
Disgaea, Disgaea PSP, Disgaea 1 Complete...

No Disgaea DS or Disgaea PC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I have. It's almost always been worth it.

Prime example is Final Fantasy I, II and IV, of which I own like three copies each. I also have Wind Waker and Twilight Princess HD remakes. I have Wander and the Colossi Colossus both on PS2, the remaster on PS3 and the remake on PS4, and have played all three.

If it's a game I like, I tend to buy it a couple of times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've bought the Prince of Persia Trilogy and Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection remasters for the PS3. I'm still trying to decide whether to get the PS4 update of Shadow since my PS3 died...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
Yeah, I've bought the Prince of Persia Trilogy and Ico and Shadow of the Colossus Collection remasters for the PS3. I'm still trying to decide whether to get the PS4 update of Shadow since my PS3 died...

The PS4 version is gorgeous. The gameplay is next to identical, though, and the game is impressive even with grainy graphics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

The PS4 version is gorgeous. The gameplay is next to identical, though, and the game is impressive even with grainy graphics.

I thought they redid the controls for the PS4 SotC. If they didn't, then I'm not going to buy it again. I loved the game when I first played it on the PS2, but I tried to play it again a couple years ago and the controls were worse than I had remembered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

I thought they redid the controls for the PS4 SotC. If they didn't, then I'm not going to buy it again. I loved the game when I first played it on the PS2, but I tried to play it again a couple years ago and the controls were worse than I had remembered.

They redid some of the controls, but it wasn't anything that I noticed much. I don't remember swearing over the controls in the original though, so I might not be the best person to ask. I know they remapped buttons and changed a few details, most probably for the better. It's slightly easier to jump up on Agro, for one thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an expert on this, but with Shadow of the Colossus, I thought they originally remastered it on PS3 (I've played that version and it looks great), but then actually had Bluepoint Games go in and rebuild a fair amount of it for the PS4, to the point where it blurs the line between a remaster/remake. Like, it's almost an extremely faithful remake?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

Oh yeah that "hanging on" control takes a lot of getting used to yuk Could learn to live with it, but I don't want to.

I'm in a similar boat, have the PS3 remaster and wavering on the PS4. But figure I can save the money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I'm not an expert on this, but with Shadow of the Colossus, I thought they originally remastered it on PS3 (I've played that version and it looks great), but then actually had Bluepoint Games go in and rebuild a fair amount of it for the PS4, to the point where it blurs the line between a remaster/remake. Like, it's almost an extremely faithful remake?

That's correct, that's why I was surprised when Simon said it hadn't changed much. I want to get the game at some point if the control scheme is solid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

That's correct, that's why I was surprised when Simon said it hadn't changed much. I want to get the game at some point if the control scheme is solid.

It might be. As said, I'm not someone who cares much about control schemes, so for me, it was "the same game, only hugely more beautiful".

We all have our own definition of "remasters" and "remakes", of course, and I would definitely call the PS4 version as a remake. The amount of polygons added is huge. Ground polygons that in the original was just a flat surface has been replaced with trickling brooks and stone, and stuff. I still regard them as exactly the same game though – the content is the same, the music's the same, the puzzles're the same. What you do is exactly the same. It's just extremely more beautiful. And yeah, perhaps the controls are remapped. I don't remember the original controls as being highly annoying, and I do remember that some buttons were remapped, and I read some notes on that they changed some of the UI, and the whatever for the horsie and so on. So I think it got definitely better. It's just that I don't care much when the game is so infinitely great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
We all have our own definition of "remasters" and "remakes", of course

It's sometimes so easy to forget how fuzzy the boundaries of some concepts can be. In another thread, someone replied to my incredulity that Necromunda was Cyberpunk to assert that it definitely was. To me, the "near future" aspect of cyberpunk is pretty much non-negotiable as one of the prerequisites for something to be cyberpunk. But to others, I guess the genre is a lot broader.

In this case, I'd just like to try the game and decide for myself, as I've long wanted to play Shadow of the Colossus, but haven't had any kind of non-handheld PlayStation for many years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
In this case, I'd just like to try the game and decide for myself, as I've long wanted to play Shadow of the Colossus, but haven't had any kind of non-handheld PlayStation for many years.

Well, to say this: The PS4 version cannot possibly be seen as inferiour to the original, at least, so there's no reason to hesitate as to which version to try out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.