Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

JohnRayJr wrote:
Occasionally, you get indie 2D platformers and some of them get at least some things right. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is pretty sound, mechanically, but quite ill-conceived in terms of whole-level design. […] You also have games like Unravel, which are just bad - heavy on art style, low on carefully crafted gameplay.

Interesting. For the record, I found Unravel 2 to be absolutely super duper charming, and I loved it. I found Giana Sister Twisted Dreams to be extremely and utterly disappointing, and abandoned it to never look back.
I also did not enjoy Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams.

Some of my favorite 2D platformers of all time include:
Megaman 2
Megaman X
Super Mario Bros 3
Super Mario World
Rayman Legends
Super Metroid
Castlevania Symphony of the Night
VVVVVV
Battleblock Theatre
20XX
Guacamelee
Shovel Knight
Super Meat Boy
Ori and the Blind Forest
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
My thought is always, "ok... fine, but whats the hook?" Just basing fun on timing and getting in synch with the physics of the game doesn't do it for me anymore. There are plenty of things in life I cant do well for lack of timing (comedy) and coordination (close up magic) so I don't need a game to remind me I'm also bad at simulated jumping.

But when they do a good job with puzzles and clever gimmicks, they can be fun as a result of that extra dimension. Otherwise they feel pretty flat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aarontu wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

JohnRayJr wrote:
Occasionally, you get indie 2D platformers and some of them get at least some things right. Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams is pretty sound, mechanically, but quite ill-conceived in terms of whole-level design. […] You also have games like Unravel, which are just bad - heavy on art style, low on carefully crafted gameplay.

I found Giana Sister Twisted Dreams to be extremely and utterly disappointing, and abandoned it to never look back.
I also did not enjoy Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams.

I think this reinforces the point I was trying to make: that even when an indie developer seems to capture one aspect of good platformer design, it's usually not the total package. I thought Giana Sisters was 'OK.' What I remember more than anything, though, was the feeling that it clearly could have been more than that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am generally not a fan. I played a lot in the NES era because that's what there was, but even there, I was mostly playing action RPGs (Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, Faxanadu, Castlevania II: Simon's Quest, maybe Wizards & Warriors (1987)), and Megaman. I was good at straight platforming games (then, not now), but found them mostly insubstantial. The one straight platformer, which I still enjoy, would be Super Mario World. I do still enjoy platformers with some substance to them. Guacamelee! was awesome, for example. But unless there's some hook to keep me engaged beyond just the challenge of platforming, those games just make me annoyed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
middletonner wrote:
But when they do a good job with puzzles and clever gimmicks, they can be fun as a result of that extra dimension. Otherwise they feel pretty flat.
I'd say so!

That aside, I enjoy 2D platformers, but of course I do because I grew up playing those games. Another benefit of these types of games is there's almost no overhead up front. Once you press start, off you go jumping, dodging, and pew-pewing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
How do you feel about 2D platformers? Is it a genre you grew up with? Do you find them easy or hard? What are some of your favourites? What mechanics do you not want to see in your platformers?
They're okay. Yes, I think the first game I played was Super Mario Bros. They're a mixed bag. Flying is pretty fun in these type of games.

Super Mario World
Disney's Aladdin (1993)
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (16-bit)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.