Romancing SaGa (2005)
Until Dawn
Lords of the Fallen
DmC: Devil May Cry – Bloody Palace
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Today's question once again comes from Simon!

Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks again, Simon!

What game has the worst combat tutorial? What made it so bad? How did you respond?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
This question was inspired by the following combat tutorial:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=diw-onYo09U&feature=youtu.be...

(Sorry, can't get the embed to work) So there's this extended-but-not-funny comedic skit, and interspersed is a dump of most of the combat instructions, and then the actual fight which is actually a little tough.

To be fair, I didn't realise you could move during the instruction dump. It's fairly common to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
lose this tutorial!

I also thought the combat dump in Metroid: Other M and similarly in Vanquish were bad. I much prefer to be drip fed the information. Mirror's Edge is another offender.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
What comes to mind is Ultimate General: Civil War, but I probably shouldn't pick on it since I haven't played much of it yet. The problem is, it has no tutorial. And if you just start a campaign, it's tough right from the start. I happen to have had enough experience that I was able to monkey around and figure things out, but I still lost that first battle badly, and I haven't been back to the game since. I'm sure I'll love it when I return, but I much prefer being eased into a game gently. This one just throws you into the deep end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Vanquish is a lot of information at once. It's a risky approach and one that doesn't work in a lot of games, but Vanquish is so well designed mechanically that I was able to 'put it together' in my head.

Sometimes I think the info-dump is a frustrated developer response to systems that aren't very well designed. I remember feeling that way about Star Ocean: The Last Hope, which rather than trying to introduce combat in any integrated/reasonable way, just put a holodeck on your ship with like 20 tutorials and was like, "look at it or don't." But then everything else wasn't much good either.

I think it's worth mentioning the opposite problem as well. Far Cry: Primal doesn't trust the player to understand very basic things about its system (which is weird, since it's hardly an unforgiving or overly complicated system), so it blocks off the simplest things behind early game skills. It's a combat tutorial in the sense of being forced through a remedial curriculum.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't pass up an opportunity to post this (NSFW):

whistlewhistlewhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Schoonmaker
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
badge
This overtext intentionally left blank.
mbmbmbmbmb
My tongue-in-cheek response is Final Fantasy XIII, because it's 20-25 hours long (and ends in Chapter 9).

More seriously, I don't even remember whether Resonance of Fate has a tutorial, or if it's just an infodump at the colosseum. Either way, the game does a very bad job of usefully teaching the player how combat works.

Amusing that the two of them came out within a couple of months of each other.

(I must say, also, that I like both games)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Sometimes I think the info-dump is a frustrated developer response to systems that aren't very well designed. I remember feeling that way about Star Ocean: The Last Hope, which rather than trying to introduce combat in any integrated/reasonable way, just put a holodeck on your ship with like 20 tutorials and was like, "look at it or don't." But then everything else wasn't much good either.

I recall the holodeck training was specifically what turned me off of Star Ocean: The Last Hope, and I abandoned it pretty early. It didn't help that I also had a pretty poor experience with the original Star Ocean, though, where the combat is so fast that I just had no idea what was going on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Can't pass up an opportunity to post this (NSFW):

whistlewhistlewhistle

The question is what game has the WORST tutorial. Looks like you may have misread WORST as BEST, somehow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.