StarCraft
Braid
NFL 2K3
BurgerTime
The Black Mirror
Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet
Scarface: The World is Yours
Street Sports Basketball
Commander Keen: Aliens Ate My Babysitter!
Sky Force
The Black Cauldron
Sub Battle Simulator
Big Brain Wolf
Atlantis Evolution
Journey (2012)
Card Hunter
Metro: Last Light
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Swords & Sorcery
Dominion Online
Elite: Dangerous
Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
Don't Starve
Tomb Raider (2013)
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Lords of the Fallen
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
AI War: Vengeance of the Machine
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
What game(s) have you spent the most time with in terms of hours played?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a little over 300 hours in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim across 3 different characters.

Right around 200 in both Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5 and Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain.

Hey look, those are all game 5 in a series!

Hard to estimate total time, but I have beaten Final Fantasy VI, VII, and XII six times each. I suspect the only one of those that may actually edge out Skyrim is FFXII.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Easy for me - Warframe and Path of Exile. Well over 1,000 hours in each.

And they're free! Really free, not pay-to-win microtransaction-hammering crap! You can certainly pay to support them (and should if you like them; I certainly did multiple times in each), but no content/weapons/levels in the game is locked behind any paywall, just bonus inventory and cosmetics.

Even if they weren't free, I think they compare favorably with the leaders in their respective genres (Destiny 2, Diablo 3), and highly recommend them to anyone who likes that sort of thing. Costs you nothing to try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be the Mass Effect Trilogy on PS3, which I have played through twice (including all DLC), almost three times, for a total of around 400 hours so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim. Was the only game I played in the end of 2011 and beginning of 2012. Played over 400 hours, and got all of the trophies. But did only played the first expansion. Maybe I play Dragonborn sometime as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
Call of Duty: Black Ops II, World of Warcraft, Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, League of Legends
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
I never count the hours, and I don't pay much attention when some service does the counting for me. So I don't know really, but I'd guess it's probably Master of Orion. Civilization might be up there, but only if all the versions are counted. I put a lot of hours into Conquered Kingdoms and Warlords II Deluxe back in the day.

Spent many hours on Fantasy General too. Games like Baldur's Gate and Planescape: Torment seem very long, but I don't think those once-through games add up to all the hours I spend on games I keep coming back to.

Lately Age of Wonders III is gobbling up all my time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
World of Warcraft no competition.

I have completely forgot what /played showed, but across three characters, I think it must be like 100 days or something. So 2400 hours, or thereabouts?

Edit: Come to think of it, maybe not that much. I had four characters, of which two were really much used. I think one of them had 27 days at some point, so a reasonable guess is maybe 50 days for the two mains, and maybe another 20 days for the two others. So maybe 60–70 days? (1500–2000 hours?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Stellaris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

I have completely forgot what /played showed, but across three characters, I think it must be like 100 days or something. So 2400 hours, or thereabouts?

Edit: Come to think of it, maybe not that much. I had four characters, of which two were really much used. I think one of them had 27 days at some point, so a reasonable guess is maybe 50 days for the two mains, and maybe another 20 days for the two others. So maybe 60–70 days? (1500–2000 hours?)

I wish I played so few hours of WoW. I surpassed one year on my main. =(

Other games I spent a huge amount of time on:
StarCraft: Brood War and SC2. Game I was most competitive on.
Civilization IV And previous games of the series. Like a huge, elaborate, streamlined board game. So much to explore and yet each start feels like something you can never predict/master, though you probably can.
Diablo II Played this a ton during high school. Pushing to level 99 (which I never got) is a huge time investment, and builds were interesting, even if limited.
Chrono Trigger Most played single player only game by far. So many endings, and it just captures "the magic" for me. I can replay it and still be invested in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dandin wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

I only played for two years or something. I didn't enjoy top-level gaming. I tried it out a bit in vanilla, and it was OK, but wasn't worth it. So when I dinged 70, I just shut off the game and did something else. Left and came back years later, dinged 80, shut off. Came back years later, dinged 85 and vowed to complete every single quest in the entire game. I did everything in Mulgore, Eastern Kingdoms, Outland and Northrend, I think, but I never got to Pandaria. Anyways, that style of game doesn't generate more than that. I had fun all the way through. Probably the most enjoyable game I've ever played, but I'll never venture into an MMO again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Dandin wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

I only played for two years or something. I didn't enjoy top-level gaming. I tried it out a bit in vanilla, and it was OK, but wasn't worth it. So when I dinged 70, I just shut off the game and did something else. Left and came back years later, dinged 80, shut off. Came back years later, dinged 85 and vowed to complete every single quest in the entire game. I did everything in Mulgore, Eastern Kingdoms, Outland and Northrend, I think, but I never got to Pandaria. Anyways, that style of game doesn't generate more than that. I had fun all the way through. Probably the most enjoyable game I've ever played, but I'll never venture into an MMO again.

I did find the end game engaging, but I think I more liked the sense of community, and the sense of accomplishment when 25-40 people work on something for 8-9 straight hours to finally overcome an obstacle. Not much else like that. But, as a guild leader I spent a ton of time trying to be diplomatic and make sure things ran smoothly for everyone. I guess I learned a decent number of social skills in the role, but I definitely was far too invested for something in hindsight was so silly. In terms of the actual gameplay, I didn't really like it. But I kept at it for the community aspect.

I agree though, that the end game stuff was not worth it. To the different version of me 9+ years ago, different story I guess =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Dandin wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
Dandin wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

I did find the end game engaging, but I think I more liked the sense of community, and the sense of accomplishment when 25-40 people work on something for 8-9 straight hours to finally overcome an obstacle. Not much else like that. But, as a guild leader I spent a ton of time trying to be diplomatic and make sure things ran smoothly for everyone. I guess I learned a decent number of social skills in the role, but I definitely was far too invested for something in hindsight was so silly. In terms of the actual gameplay, I didn't really like it. But I kept at it for the community aspect.

I agree though, that the end game stuff was not worth it. To the different version of me 9+ years ago, different story I guess =)

I've always found the idea of WoW to be interesting. I played around with it once or twice, but never got out of the first area/free trial. I might give it a shot again at some point though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Dandin wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
Dandin wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

I've always found the idea of WoW to be interesting. I played around with it once or twice, but never got out of the first area/free trial. I might give it a shot again at some point though.

Don't do it! It's a trap!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Back before I tracked time:

Treasures of the Savage Frontier - I spent literally years trying to beat this when I was growing up.
The Four Crystals of Trazere - Same with this one, played it for years!
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind – Game of the Year Edition - Played this for years, for many hours at a time, I'm guessing I have over 1000+ hours in this.
Diablo II: Lord of Destruction - 100+ hours. I played so much of this, particularly with friends in college.
Angband - I've been playing this since middle school, I'm guessing that I have over 100+ hours in it, possibly over 200+ with all the failed attempts over the years.

As I currently track time:

Candy Crush Saga - over 400+ hours... though I can happily say I've kicked the addiction at this point... by substituting out a different game in its place. shake
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Legendary Edition - 244 hours on record and I suspect it will be closer to 400 when I'm finished with it.
Minecraft - 132+ hours since I started tracking in 2015... but I also used to test this on Xbox and I have a feeling the true count is closer to 500+ hours...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Dandin wrote:
As a guild leader I spent a ton of time trying to be diplomatic and make sure things ran smoothly for everyone.

I've been a guild avoider the couple times I've tried a game like this (not WoW, but other MMO games). I was having a pretty good time exploring and doing the elementary things I knew how to do, and then I encountered another player. That was OK; I figured we'd chat, and maybe even trade something, then go our separate ways like two hikers headed in opposite directions on a mountain trail. But no. I was informed of guilds and how beneficial they are. And how there are rival guilds, and how so much of the game depends on cooperation and teamwork.

Man, this is too much like real life, I thought. And then I quit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Without a doubt, Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn. I spent several months between jobs playing it and racked up somewhere around 2000 hours in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenneth Stuart
United States
Hawthorne
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Over 700 hours with ARK: Survival Evolved and expansions.

Over 200 hours with Infinifactory thanks to the Steam Workshop levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm grateful that I got MMOs out of my system when they were still text-based and known as MUDs (multi-user domains). That moment in time was magical, but as soon as Ultima Online arrived and a good friend of mine would chat with me about fletching individual arrows out in the woods, I thought, 'you know, I"m good.'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
Top three are Borderlands 2 (218 hours), Fallout New Vegas (over 230 hours) and Phantasy Star Online Episode I & II on the GameCube (easily over 500 o 600 hours).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Explorers of the North Sea

I have reached 69 individual plays, and I am going for 100 by the end of this year.

Edit: Ooops!! This was Video game.... blush
Then the answer is Gems of War. I am on 801 hours for now, and I have also started playing it on my new media pad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I'm grateful that I got MMOs out of my system when they were still text-based and known as MUDs (multi-user domains). That moment in time was magical, but as soon as Ultima Online arrived and a good friend of mine would chat with me about fletching individual arrows out in the woods, I thought, 'you know, I"m good.'

Ah, I forgot about MUDs. My finger information at http://islandsofmyth.org/3k/cgi/finger.c?name=apathy shows I played that MUD for about 3000 hours. I recollect that the play time information also got reset at some point and I would wager that the majority of my play time was actually before that, so it may even have been much higher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guild Wars. Probably about 2500 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The following games DEFINTELY have 100+ hours sunken into them...

StarCraft + its Brood War exp.
People weren't joking.. once you play this game, you don't do your homework or go to work for weeks No joke, this game was partly why I almost failed out of college shake soblue

StarCraft 2
I had this on my home PC back in 2011 (odd especially after my experiences with its predecessor blush ). Later on, I never bothered to put this back on my hardrive, but did visit vg lounges to play this. These days, I still play this, but on weekends. AFAIK, average once a month

ADDITION: I used to just play "Vs. AI" matches and coop matches in Custom/Arcade mode. Now, I play exclusively on Blizzard's actual Coop mode.

Plants Vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time
B/c this game had a Daily Pinata event that you check in over the internet. I also played a fair share of games offline to boot. For those who aren't aware of my history with this game, the brief synopsis is I loved this game, but it went in numerous unsavory directions. Put the game on 2 long hiatuses, with the 3rd time having me quit AND delete the app out of sheer frustration and disgust.

Since then, I'm playing Defending Camelot on PC/Steam, which is a PvZ clone/knockoff. I may get into a version of the game which is akin to what "Project M" was to Super Smash Bros. Brawl. Otherwise, if I ever get back into this game, I'm learning how to hack the files. Even all of that is less frustrating than playing it "as is".

Castlestorm: Free To Siege
You know a game is bad when its title makes reference that it's a freemium/"free-to-play". If you'd like to get into this game without the grindiness, I'd recommend playing the PC/Steam version which does away with ads, premium currencies, etc.

Same deal here as with PvZ2... I had fun with the online daily levels (which were divided into 3 legs per 24 hour period), but it ended up consuming me. I quit this game after 8 months of fun, but frustrating play.

Still a lot, but not past the 100 hour mark...

Final Fantasy 4 (SNES)
24 hours. Nice that the game keeps track of this for you cool

Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
40+ hours. Ditto cool Still "need to" do more optional, fun stuff to 100% this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's impossible to know for sure which is ahead at this point, but I'd say the front runners are Diablo II or RollerCoaster Tycoon, with Interstate '76 being a distant third place.

If all games within a franchise are lumped together, the X-Wing series possibly jumps ahead of The Interstate, but would still be well behind DII and RCT. Soooo much time has been spent on those two over the years, and honestly, I'd probably still be playing them regularly if I had a decent computer to run them on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.