Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: VGG QOTD 2019 May 14 - What's your favorite "clone" game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Check out my music at toastandbananas.com!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Today's question was submitted by Kyle:

Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb

What's your favorite "clone" game? Specifically, games that are obvious, blatant knock-offs, copies, or re-skins of much better known games. (Not games about clones.)

Thank you for your submission, Kyle!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if we stretch the definition quite a bit, I'll say Age of Wonders. In 1999 it started out as one of the first successful "spiritual successors" to the already classic Master of Magic (don't ask me how a five-year-old game can be a classic, but it was). By the time AoW3 was released in 2014, the series had greatly overshadowed MoM as far as I'm concerned (my nostalgic feelings for the latter notwithstanding).

But I guess that's a spiritual successor, not truly a clone.

About the only clone games I've tried, I think, are Elven Legacy (more or less a 3D clone of Fantasy General) and Panzer Corps (a modernization of Panzer General). They're both good, but I have no problem with the original games; I'm still happy to play them. If I get in the mood for Panzer General, though, I'll probably play Panzer Corps instead. And some day I may do a little more with Fantasy Wars and Elven Legacy just to see if I can learn to like the 3D graphics.

Oh, I shouldn't neglect to mention Remnants of the Precursors, a Java-based clone of Master of Orion with a few handy new features and all-new artwork and music. It's a work in progress, and I guess I'm waiting till it's finished before I do much with it. For now, I just play the original game instead. But RotP certainly looks and sounds a lot better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Evil Within- A slightly re themed Last of Us with Japanese sensibilities. I thought it was great, its negative point being how disjointed the world and story were which I thought subtracted, rather than added to the horror and fear aspect. It felt too disconnected from reality with the constant 'magical' environment changes. I think if they would have toned down this aspect the games theme would have been much more effective.

Legend of Grimrock- A Dungeon Master clone that showed the genre still had a place in modern gaming. My favorite of the clones too, very similar to Dungeon Master. Some of the secrets were too hard and I didnt like the lore /world/end boss as much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Strategic Command WWII Global Conflict
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
The question about 2D platformers the other day made me realize that, other than a few minutes here and there, I'd never really played any of the Metroid games prior to Metroid Prime.

Except, I kinda did, just not by name.
There was an old game called Vigilance on Talos V that I'd found as a demo (PC Gamer?) or as a shareware version somewhere along the line, and it was pretty fun, albeit short. A few years after the fact I found out that it was basically a direct copy of Super Metroid, with different graphics and a few other very minor tweaks to gameplay. It's not in the VGG database, but a good writeup about it can be found here: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/vigilance-on-talos-v/

-----------------------------

Two other notable "clones" that I recall fondly:

Way back when my family first got our Commodore 64, an uncle set us up with a pile of copied discs with all sorts of games and programs on them (in hindsight, most if not all were probably pirated).
One of them was "Super Mario Bros.", except that beyond the first level or two everything was completely different from the NES version, and a lot of other little things about the game were just slightly... off.
It was still a lot of fun to play, and we even figured out over time that a few of the levels were completely broken. One was "completed" by falling into a nearly unavoidable pit early on. If you actually managed to get past it and survive the exceedingly difficult path to the end (think of low-level Super Mario Maker craziness), you ran into a wall and got stuck until the timer ran out, because the screen scrolling only went one way. D'oh!
I remembered looking up the game again several years ago, and eventually figured out that it was a reskin of a Giana Sisters game, which has a bit of a story to it about the release date on the VGG page.

Rise of the Triad (also not in the VGG database) was another odd one that I'd always assumed was a clone/knock-off of Wolfenstein 3D that fell into the gap just before Doom (1993) landed, but it turns out was actually created by Apogee Software (3D Realms) themselves. It wasn't particularly good, but was kinda fun for the time and did have some neat features to it, like breakable glass, and the way they faked elevations by putting floating platforms all over the place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Clone Wars! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Minetest (http://www.minetest.net/), which (as Minecraft, too) is "inspired" by Infiniminer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a tough one.

If we take a broad view of what counts as a clone, it would be Ōkami for owing so much to the Legend of Zelda, but I don't think it quite meets the standard of being a more blatant copy or knock-off.

Jak and Daxter: The Precursor Legacy, on the other hand, is a straight clone of Super Mario 64. I revisited it last year... and taking from my comments on it:

Quote:
Power Cells are Stars, Scout Flies are Red Coins, and Precursor Orbs are regular coins. There are three thresholds for collecting power cells that allow you to fight a boss and move onto a new level hub throughout the game.

The game doesn't really disguise this at all... which is weird I guess, but all these years later my feeling is that there weren't many games like this overall, and this one displays genuine craft.

It's a reasonably good game, not great, but probably my best candidate for this question.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Um I don't think I've played one? If I had, it would definitely be my favourite.

Yeah there are a few "zelda clones" around. e.g. Oceanhorn: Monster of the Uncharted Seas, although I haven't played that. What about match-3 games, are they clones? Then HuniePop. Can we call Medal of Honor a COD clone? Then Medal of Honor (2010).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh I have a better answer!

Tomb Raider (2013), which is an Uncharted clone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:

Also a really good answer. I'd say it's the 2nd best Uncharted game out of all 5 of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
The Clone Wars! whistle

If nothing else, having an Asoka avatar..
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

who has implicit ties to The Clone Wars, and mentioning...

Quote:
(Not games about clones.)

… is many delicious layers of ingredients that make up our irony and synergy lasagna

Speaking of which....

Badlands was an EXCELLENT one in that regard. Storywise, I think all of those things you control are clones? wow Or some "mama" out there is really breeding them. Either way, there seems to be some science laboratory involved (I've been meaning to look up the game's background).

Gameplay wise, it's a clone of the hold Helicopter game. Notable changes here include but not limited to:
-better graphics
-flexibility
Touching a wall, floor or ceiling isn't instant death. It just slows you down (of which THAT could kill you)
-powerups
Multiply, shrink (to fit into tight areas), enlarge (to knock down doors, debris, and other loose obstacles), harden (unaffected by spikes, slow-mo (makes it easier to respond to stuff), move faster (make it past closing doors in time), etc.
-variety of obstacles
buzz saws, spiked surfaces, spikes that actually shoot out, closing and opening gates, vacuums, switches you need to press to open doors or turn off vacuums, and lasers. And oh, lasers
-achievements
Some of these were freaking crazy. I delved into these minimally, but it gives experts and hardcore players more to come back to
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide, which is basically a Warhammer-themed Left 4 Dead. It borrowed a lot of that game's DNA, most obviously the special Skaven who are translated almost beat-for-beat from some of L4Ds (and its sequel's) special foes.

manukajoe wrote:

Oh man, that's not my impression at all! Tomb Raider plays barely anything like Uncharted. Sure, it owes a lot of its thematic content to the series, but tone-wise, and mechanics-wise the two are almost entirely different!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:

irony and synergy lasagna

Thumbs up for that phrase alone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:
Probably Warhammer: End Times – Vermintide, which is basically a Warhammer-themed Left 4 Dead. It borrowed a lot of that game's DNA, most obviously the special Skaven who are translated almost beat-for-beat from some of L4Ds (and its sequel's) special foes.

manukajoe wrote:

Oh man, that's not my impression at all! Tomb Raider plays barely anything like Uncharted. Sure, it owes a lot of its thematic content to the series, but tone-wise, and mechanics-wise the two are almost entirely different!

Are you talking about the overall TR series or the 2013 reboot?

I actually think that comparisons of the 2013 Tomb Raider to the Uncharted trilogy have been understated. TR 2013 owes just about everything to Uncharted, gameplay included. Of course it has the silly horror-gore vibe, it has a slight layer of collectible clutter that goes beyond the treasure-hunting in Uncharted, and it has minimal crafting and upgrading, but in my mind those things amount to about a 5% variation.

I do agree that, with Shadow of the Tomb Raider and Rise of the Tomb Raider, it has started to branch off more into its own thing.

Uncharted wouldn't exist without the popularity of the original TR games, so that's why I'm not sure if we're talking about the same thing. But TR's popularity/viability was in trouble for all of the early 2000s, and Underworld, released 1 year after the first Uncharted, was a flop (and a bad game).

TR 2013 could have been titled: Uncharted: Wrath of the Sun Queen, and all you would have needed to do was rename Lara and give her some tangential connection to Nathan Drake.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only clone games I can think of that I have played are Zelda-like games Spiritual Warfare and The Hobbit (2003) and Cosmo's Cosmic Adventure which has elements from Mario, Sonic and Kirby games, but I don't really like those games that much. And what's funny is that although Level 3 of Cosmo is like a tree section of Grape Garden in Kirby's Adventure, I recently realized that Kirby's Adventure didn't release until the year after Cosmo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
Would Doom be considered a clone of Castle Wolfenstein? If so I say that. The definition of 'clone' was certainly more loose back then. For a while every first-person shooter was a 'doom clone'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
20XX is a fun Mega Man Xclone with roguelike gameplay and 2 player co-op.

Lately, I've been playing Overload, which is a great modern Descentclone/successor made by a number of the lead people who made the original Descent.

The Star Wars Battlefront series started out as a series of Battlefield clones set in the Star Wars universe, and I like them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds which is a clone of Age of Empires II.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of the FPS games back in the 90's all seemed to be inspired or cloned from each other. You could say Duke Nukem 3D is kind of a clone to Doom, and Shadow Warrior (1997) is an re-themed version of Duke Nukem, mostly. All good games, though.

Is Blaz Blue a clone of Guilty Gear?

When does a game become "inspired by", instead of the more derogatory "clone" word?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
When does a game become "inspired by", instead of the more derogatory "clone" word?

For me, that depends on if the game credits or game developers working on the game come out and say the game was "inspired by ___"

Often clones don't say where they got their inspiration, they take without giving back to their roots.

Hero U: Rogue to Redemption was created by the same people who worked on Quest for Glory and it the spiritual successor of Quest for Glory. So it is very much "inspired by".

Meanwhile Yeti Town was a direct clone of Triple Town to the point where the developers of Triple Town sued and Yeti Town no longer exists.

Though not all clones are like that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerdion wrote:
Would Doom be considered a clone of Castle Wolfenstein? If so I say that. The definition of 'clone' was certainly more loose back then. For a while every first-person shooter was a 'doom clone'.
I think Doom was considered a clone at first, until everyone collectively realized how much better it was than Wolf3D, then everything after became "Doom clones" instead.

There were a number of games written off as clones of Command & Conquer and Warcraft back then too, at least until there were enough around to hit the critical mass needed to consider real-time-strategy its own genre.

Another cloned game that just came to mind was Jazz Jackrabbit. It was basically Sonic the Hedgehog, but a green rabbit... with a gun. I'd briefly played the original JJ, but it must have been fairly successful because there are several different versions and sequels in the VGG database.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
GibbRS wrote:

For me, that depends on if the game credits or game developers working on the game come out and say the game was "inspired by ___"

Often clones don't say where they got their inspiration, they take without giving back to their roots.

Hero U: Rogue to Redemption was created by the same people who worked on Quest for Glory and it the spiritual successor of Quest for Glory. So it is very much "inspired by".

Meanwhile Yeti Town was a direct clone of Triple Town to the point where the developers of Triple Town sued and Yeti Town no longer exists.

Though not all clones are like that...

Good point. Grim Dawn is made by a lot of the same people who worked on Titan Quest. From an outsider view, it could look like Grim Dawn cloned Titan Quest, but it's certainly more of an inspired/spiritual successor type of situation. It's amazing how similar Crate Entertainment made Grim Dawn to Titan Quest, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

Oh, like Led Zeppelin songs, then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Oh, like Led Zeppelin all music, then.

FTFY.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.