StarCraft
Braid
NFL 2K3
BurgerTime
The Black Mirror
Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet
Scarface: The World is Yours
Street Sports Basketball
Commander Keen: Aliens Ate My Babysitter!
Sky Force
The Black Cauldron
Sub Battle Simulator
Big Brain Wolf
Atlantis Evolution
Journey (2012)
Card Hunter
Metro: Last Light
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Swords & Sorcery
Dominion Online
Elite: Dangerous
Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse
BIT.TRIP Presents... Runner2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien
Don't Starve
Tomb Raider (2013)
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Lords of the Fallen
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes
AI War: Vengeance of the Machine
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
I have no need to ban EA games because they publish very little that interests me to begin with.
That's like a "self-ban"

JohnRayJr wrote:
A class of games? No. I mean I don't play Sports games because they bore me out of my mind, but that's not really what we're getting at.
Probably not, but since you've brought it up, I "ban" those games. Exceptions are sports games with sci-fi, fantasy, "fun" () elements, like NBA Jam, Mario Kart, F-Zero.

Oh, here's that thread!...
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1980241/alternative-spo...

Peristarkawan wrote:
Are there games that I won't play due to content, regardless of their other merits? Of course.

Some of the recent news stories about the development of Mortal Kombat 11 are depressing - developers/testers having to refine/adjust/test gruesome, photorealistic, anatomically grisly fatalaties hundreds of times, and becoming clinically disturbed to the point of seeking medical help and wanting to quit their jobs.
Kids seem to be fine with this. I hope blush Case in point was I was at a con playing MKX/10. There's a Fatality mode that lets you try out and practice multiple fatalities in quick succession. I did 5 of them and looked over my shoulder to see a couple of kids standing there.

I think to myself "damn.. how long have they been standing there?"
"Maybe they're old enough? No.. they look like they're 8 to 10 yo"
"Did I do any gruesome fatalities?"
Victim quartered
burned
burned via acid
head cut off and exploded
internal organs removed by telekenesis

"I hope their parents aren't pissed"
"..... where are their parents?"
I don't see any adults around.

"Eh. Let's see what Kung Lao can do"

Peristarkawan wrote:
(Of course there's a whole side discussion to be had about Mortal Kombat, but the new one achieves a gut-level repugnance that, to me, is totally foreign to the often-comical violence of the older MKs).
For a few of the finishing moves in MK3 Ultimate, you see some startup animations, but then the screen goes black. You still hear sound fx. I thought that was a lame "cop out" (censors or just lazy), but.. not something that would cause you to take on more "nerd rage points".

Peristarkawan wrote:
And I like fighting games. I enjoyed NRS's immediate predecessor to MK11, which was Injustice 2.

There may be much less blood and gore in this one, but dang if one of the endings wasn't dark, which in some ways, made this worse than the blood and gore in MK11.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
I mostly banned Ubisoft games

Interested to hear the reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't actively banned anything, although there are a number of genres and themes that don't interest me much, so I don't actively seek them out.

For the most part I stick with games/themes/genres that I already know that I like, and only really branch out when something looks especially appealing.

The only major deal-breaker for me is "multiplayer/online-play only". If there's no single player mode that you can do offline, it's not something I'd play much, if at all. That doesn't mean I'd be unwilling to try it, but it would have to be something truly amazing to go beyond that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
I mostly banned Ubisoft games

Interested to hear the reason.

Their record on DRM is terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I ban a class of games as much as a genre. Even then I don't really 'ban' it.

I'm not a fan of most horror games. They just don't do much for me. I've never really appreciated horror as a genre - but I can see why others like it. I'm just pretty 'meh' about it.

I don't think much of sports games in general either. I played a few once and I had fun, but seeing the same game released year after year and even being stuffed full of microtransactions lately (NBA 2K18 for example) just makes me lose interest.

What's a fun, untainted sports game that stands the test of time?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Gerdion wrote:
What's a fun, untainted sports game that stands the test of time?

Civilization. It has always had colosseums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I don`t really ban any classes of games, but first player shooter games and when fighting is the main part of the game, I don`t really go for those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

There are types of games that I like less (platformers for example). But I haven't "banned" them. I'm just far less likely to buy them.

However, I can't think of a genre of game that I have an ethical issue with, and that seems to be the crux of why OP wanted to ban a certain type of game.

If I had an ethical issue with a style of play (such as feeling that shooting enemies in a game made me worry about my morals in real life) then, yes, I wouldn't play that type of game.

I would like to note, however, since this is a topic I've actually read up on, that for the majority of people, games where you massacre faceless enemies are extremely effective stress relief and doesn't lead to the desire to kill real people.

The real key is how well you separate fantasy from reality in given situations, and only you can make the call of how "into a game" you feel that the division between fantasy and reality isn't working for you any more. I, personally, end up with some issues the more emotionally involved I am in a moral decision, so I can't get some achievements because my personal ethics vs. my engagement with the story can make me deeply uncomfortable when asked to do some "evil" actions. I just don't happen to feel anything about shooting "enemies" because they are "people who are doing bad things" and I have no issue with fighting bad people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
While there are definitely genres I avoid because I dislike most of the games in them, I can't think of any genres I've banned outright, since I'm willing to make exceptions for certain games within all genres.

I don't like most shooters... but I spent years testing Halo games and Halo: Reach isn't bad. Also, Oni was fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.