Tropico 4
Elder Sign: Omens
The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood
Forbidden Island
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any games people are surprised you haven’t played and/or beaten? For instance, maybe you’re a JRPG fan that has never played/beaten Final Fantasy VII. Perhaps you love turn based strategy games but haven’t played Civilization. You can also answer the question more generally; with some games, if feels like everybody has played them except you.

So, are there any notable games that you haven’t played and/or beaten even though, based on your preferences, you probably should have by now?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I could probably think of several examples, but since I sort of outed myself in the question post, I suppose it’s worth pointing out that I’ve never beaten Final Fantasy VII despite being a JRPG fan (and a PS1 era JRPG fan at that!) for many years. In fact, I’ve barely played it. I sat down to give it a go years ago and played for maybe 2 hours. There wasn’t anything notably wrong with it as far as I remember. Nothing stood out as particularly annoying or bad. But I found myself completely uninterested in the story for some reason. It could have been the result of playing it out of some perceived obligation as opposed to a real desire to play, but I turned it off and never went back. It is on my list of games to finish at some point, but I’m not sure when I’ll get around to it. I know a fair amount of what happens in the game some 22 years later, but I still think it’s worth completing.

Folks are surprised that I’ve only played about 10 minutes of the Gran Turismo series despite being such a big racing game fan. I picked up GT5, and I remember the install forever on my PlayStation 3. I played for 10 minutes, thought the graphics were okay at best, and stopped playing with plans to return but never did. By now, there are plenty of racing games that give me the enjoyment I need, so unless a new entry in the series catches my eye, I’ve probably played all of the GT I’m going to play.

More generally, the Left 4 Dead games come to mind. I honestly don’t know if they were critically acclaimed across the board or if I just happened to be around a large group of people who played the games, but I’ve never given it a try. I don’t think I’ve even seen gameplay footage come to think of it. From my understanding, it was fun at the time. But I’ve never really cared about zombie related stuff, so I just found myself completely uninterested in the series.

I’m sure I will think of more as others respond.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
People? What people? People here on VGG know I'm a relative newb.

People I know IRL who know I play videogames aren't very interested. Maybe the Assassin's Creed (Core Series) series. I haven't really played any of those. A few hours of IV and a tiny bit of II only.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
People? What people?

All those people you constantly imagine peering over your shoulder, judgmentally inquiring into every aspect of your life--all your thoughts, words, and deeds. That crowd of people, all much wiser than you, who surround you everywhere you go and are always shaking their heads, pointing fingers, and saying, "tsk tsk." If you look, you'll probably see your parents' faces among them, with looks that question whether you'll ever get things right or amount to anything.

Those people.

(Either that or just other gamers in the world--real or imagined based on what you've heard or read.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, maybe Galactic Civilizations. Or Empire.

I have GalCivI, and I played it a bit and liked it OK. But somehow I never got motivated to pursue it any further. Maybe it's because I've heard GalCivII is much better and I'm waiting for it to be deeply discounted. GalCivIII gets mixed reviews, so maybe II is the sweet spot in the series. Anyhow, I'm still happy with Master of Orion, and I don't need another space strategy game.

Empire should've been right up my alley, but I missed it when it was new. And by the time I heard about it, other good games (like Civ and MoO and Master of Magic and Conquered Kingdoms) were around. Anyhow, the 20th century is my least favorite historical setting because it's too close to everyday life. Even in fiction, I'd rather see something other than a bunch of mechanical and electronic gadgets. If I must see them, I'd rather they be mind-blowing futuristic gadgets (or maybe weird steampunk gadgets).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure anybody would care, but some people might be surprised that I haven't gotten very far in Resident Evil 4.

A lot of people consider it the best game in the series, but I still have a kind of mental block about it. When it was first released, I hated how different it was from the other main line series. No static camera, no tank controls. It didn't feel like a Resident Evil game. Apart from that, the controls were terrible at the time (and honestly still are pretty garbage).

I've started the game a few different times, and I think the furthest I've gotten is past the first big village. I've never even gotten to the point where you find Ashley.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
skyrim, farcrys, just causes, nearly any and all playstation exclusives, nier, any anything thats come out in the last few years as I am always a few years behind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason W
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a people, and I'm surprised I've never actually beaten Ocarina of Time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
I'm not sure anybody would care, but some people might be surprised that I haven't gotten very far in Resident Evil 4.

A lot of people consider it the best game in the series, but I still have a kind of mental block about it. When it was first released, I hated how different it was from the other main line series. No static camera, no tank controls. It didn't feel like a Resident Evil game. Apart from that, the controls were terrible at the time (and honestly still are pretty garbage).

I've started the game a few different times, and I think the furthest I've gotten is past the first big village. I've never even gotten to the point where you find Ashley.

I definitely do find that surprising given how much of an RE fan you are. But I can completely understand the way you feel about it. It was such a departure for the series, I remember it being quite jarring for me at the time as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdw734 wrote:
I'm a people, and I'm surprised I've never actually beaten Ocarina of Time.

This is another one that I could apply to myself as well. I've played a little bit of it, but never got very far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I told my cousin I was finally finishing up Final Fantasy VII and Kingdom Hearts last year, and he had thought I'd already beaten them.

I also haven't played more than maybe 1 hr (if that) of Chrono Trigger and only 1/2 of Final Fantasy VI. I've also only played like 1 hour of any Zelda game (sans 4 swords).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:

If you haven't already, you may want to try Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition. I didn't play the original, but I played the Wii Edition and I thought it was great. I'm led to believe the Wii version alleviates some of the control issues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
There are some classic adventure games that I still haven't played: Maniac Mansion, Maniac Mansion: Day of the Tentacle, Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge, The Curse of Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, The Beast Within: A Gabriel Knight Mystery, Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned, The 7th Guest, The 11th Hour...

However, I still plan on playing all of them, at some point. I've been going through a few a year - I'm very happy most have been remastered to work on modern machines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
I'm very happy most have been remastered to work on modern machines.

Yeah, but now you're old enough to be calling them machines.

Sorry--I'm remembering a story about Senator Strom Thurmond. He served well into old age, and apparently he never got used to the word "microphone" (much less the short version "mike," which has only recently started being superseded by "mic," much to my dismay), so he'd tell others in the room to "speak into the machine."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

I'm honestly am confused by this statement. I don't know what you mean? Computers are a type of machine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

I'm honestly am confused by this statement. I don't know what you mean? Computers are a type of machine...

LOL. They probably are. See my latest blog post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I haven't beaten Stellaris yet and I've been playing for over 350 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
I haven't beaten Stellaris yet and I've been playing for over 350 hours.

I'm in a similar boat (spaceship?) with this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
My buddies are surprised that despite playing it for over a year and having well over 100hrs in it, I've still not beaten Fallout 4. My fault... I was playing on survival. all my buddies assume I'm deep into the settlement building, but really i'm just spending my time running back to town to cure flu and and dying to molerats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

I think he's saying that young people don't use the word "machine" to refer to computers/consoles. I'd say that's true in my country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

I think he's saying that young people don't use the word "machine" to refer to computers/consoles. I'd say that's true in my country.

I used unusual words when I was young, so I don't think that's a good measure of anything.

I'm the kid who read (and still reads) dictionaries for fun.

I do not talk - or even type - like other people.

So I find the statement all kinds of odd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Yay! At least one country's aligned with what I meant.

Quote:
I used unusual words when I was young, so I don't think that's a good measure of anything.

I'm the kid who read (and still reads) dictionaries for fun.

I do not talk - or even type - like other people.

So I find the statement all kinds of odd.

Well, for even more toying around with it, see this blog post and the comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nearly all of the Final Fantasy games proceeding Final Fantasy VI

Warcraft I & II

many MMORPGs, including but not limited to WoW

Many Nintendo games on Game Cube (since I don't own the system, and have yet to get them for Wii since it is backwards compatible with that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
shelflife3000 wrote:

If you haven't already, you may want to try Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition. I didn't play the original, but I played the Wii Edition and I thought it was great. I'm led to believe the Wii version alleviates some of the control issues.

Yeah I think the Wii version was the one I got the furthest in. I need to sit down and take the time to get through it.

As for all the people talking about Ocarina of Time, that's another great example for me. I've started it maybe 3 or 4 different times, still haven't made it past the Deku tree... yes the very beginning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
People hack on me about not having played Race for the Galaxy yet. But I will probably never do it. The theme doesn`t feel like my thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.