The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood
Forbidden Island
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Elida wrote:
People hack on me about not having played Race for the Galaxy yet. But I will probably never do it. The theme doesn`t feel like my thing.

You don't like the study of iconography?

(yeah RftG isn't my kind of thing either, really)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. You guys tell me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

Okay, please list every game you haven't played or beaten. Please be thorough, as this is important
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People get on my back about Scrabble (the board game).

I work in publishing. I despise Scrabble. They can't quite seem to understand that working with words doesn't equal obsessing over Scrabble.

If you want more, spending all day essentially playing word puzzle games by trying to figure out what people meant by using context clues and the actual meanings of words is not the same as arbitrarily throwing letters onto a board for points. I don't like the crossword style layout getting in the way of me putting down a word, I don't like fitting things into an arbitrary size, and I've never liked using impressive words just to be impressive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysti_Fogg wrote:

I work in publishing. I despise Scrabble. They can't quite seem to understand that working with words doesn't equal obsessing over Scrabble.

If you want more, spending all day essentially playing word puzzle games by trying to figure out what people meant by using context clues and the actual meanings of words is not the same as arbitrarily throwing letters onto a board for points. I don't like the crossword style layout getting in the way of me putting down a word, I don't like fitting things into an arbitrary size, and I've never liked using impressive words just to be impressive.

Hear, hear.

I gravitated toward my job as editor because I love working with the written word. Scrabble is practically the opposite of what I love.

An analogy that pops into my head is saying to a dog lover, "You should take that physiology class; you get to dissect a dog."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
I'm surprised you haven't played
Twilight Princess
Journey (the real one on PS)
Mass Effect
Final Fantasy X
Talos Principle

There ya go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Twilight Princess
Mass Effect
Final Fantasy X
Talos Principle

There ya go.

Twilight Princess is going on my Hardcore Challenge list for 2020.

Journey, I don't have a playstation 3/4. Is the PC port not very good? Is that why you call the PS real? I could play the PC version. And Journey is right up my alley.

I should play Mass Effect. But isn't the idea you port one save to the next game and so on? Can you do that with Mass Effect on Steam Mass Effect 2 on Steam and Mass Effect 3 on Origin? I'm not a computer wizard.

I don't know why I haven't played Final Fantasy X. I should look into buying it. Of course I'm already trying to get through a huge backlog of JRPG games I own before playing Dragon Quest XI (which I am super mega excited for). So maybe I will put Final Fantasy X one step behind DQ11.

I'll look into Talos Principal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Twilight Princess
Mass Effect
Final Fantasy X
Talos Principle

There ya go.

Journey, I don't have a playstation 3/4. Is the PC port not very good? Is that why you call the PS real? I could play the PC version. And Journey is right up my alley.

I should play Mass Effect. But isn't the idea you port one save to the next game and so on? Can you do that with Mass Effect on Steam Mass Effect 2 on Steam and Mass Effect 3 on Origin? I'm not a computer wizard.

I don't know why I haven't played Final Fantasy X. I should look into buying it. Of course I'm already trying to get through a huge backlog of JRPG games I own before playing Dragon Quest XI (which I am super mega excited for). So maybe I will put Final Fantasy X one step behind DQ11.

I noticed you'd played a mobile version of Journey and didn't like it? Is it on PC? It's good to play because of its historical important in gaming, although it seems less impressive now.

Yes Mass Effect you want to carry over your saves. Maybe a PC guru can chip in here? Looks like you can buy the whole trilogy on Origin. Or I can send you my PC trilogy disks that I'm not using! (The trilogy includes the DLC for 1 and 2 but not 3).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
frumpish wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
frumpish wrote:
Twilight Princess
Mass Effect
Final Fantasy X
Talos Principle

There ya go.

I noticed you'd played a mobile version of Journey and didn't like it? Is it on PC? It's good to play because of its historical important in gaming, although it seems less impressive now.

Yes Mass Effect you want to carry over your saves. Maybe a PC guru can chip in here? Looks like you can buy the whole trilogy on Origin. Or I can send you my PC trilogy disks that I'm not using! (The trilogy includes the DLC for 1 and 2 but not 3).

Not a guru by any means, but I've got the first two on steam and the last one on origin through amazon.

I seem to recall there was a slight problem in finding the saves, but I was either able to figure it out myself or look up a solution online and get to playing within about 10 minutes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:

I think Journey is on that Epic store. I never played it. If it is showing up on my account it's probably because when adding information about a game I sometimes add it as owned to my account by accident (click the wrong one).

That would be awesome for Mass Effect, but no idea when I would get to it. And would it be region locked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
That would be awesome for Mass Effect, but no idea when I would get to it. And would it be region locked?

Region locking on Mass Effect save transfers? If that's what you mean, there's no such thing. You can't do cross platform transfers (Playstation<->Xbox<->Wii<->Windows), but there's no other significant limitations. I've played the game across game delivery platforms (Steam and Origin) as well as across continents (Australia and Europe).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Almost certainly. I suffer pretty severe clinical depression and I don't get to a lot of things I would love to get to even though games are something I reliably enjoy, plus I have a lot of great evergreen games that are already difficult to pick between. Many games I should (and genuinely want to) play are already in my library, waiting for their turn, like AI War, Dustforce, Cloudbuilt, Stellaris, and even Supreme Commander.

I'm also someone with fairly strong tastes and a good, accurate assessment of my own potential experience, so lots of "must play" games are actually an easy, solid pass to me. Witcher, Final Fantasy, Mario Whatever, Journey, Pandemic... Matters very little to me what "everyone" thinks "everyone" has to play, especially with as much as gaming has changed over the years. Just because gaming has changed doesn't mean what I game for is supposed to follow the new market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysti_Fogg wrote:

I work in publishing. I despise Scrabble.

You will Scrabble, and you will like it, Jennifer!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I dunno, to the extent anyone on here notices, probably:

Mark of the Ninja, because I love stealth games and it took forever to come to PS4.

I have played, but not beaten, Dragon Age: Origins, a game that I'm definitely "supposed" to like. There's basically no hope unless I ever play on PC with more precise turn-based tactical controls, as opposed to the way it works on consoles.

I have played, but not beaten, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, a game that I'm definitely supposed to like. I'm never going to try to dig back into it unless I can eliminate the load times. Maybe on PS5.

Fallout: New Vegas, a game I haven't even played and would almost certainly love, but was perhaps the most legendarily buggy/broken thing ever to be released on PS3. Remaster please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I dunno, to the extent anyone on here notices, probably:

Mark of the Ninja, because I love stealth games and it took forever to come to PS4.

I have played, but not beaten, Dragon Age: Origins, a game that I'm definitely "supposed" to like. There's basically no hope unless I ever play on PC with more precise turn-based tactical controls, as opposed to the way it works on consoles.

I have played, but not beaten, The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, a game that I'm definitely supposed to like. I'm never going to try to dig back into it unless I can eliminate the load times. Maybe on PS5.

Fallout: New Vegas, a game I haven't even played and would almost certainly love, but was perhaps the most legendarily buggy/broken thing ever to be released on PS3. Remaster please?
I'm enjoying Dragon Age Inquisition ATM, and it makes me want to go back and finish DA:O. I played 35 hours previously. I also picked up a copy of DA:2 to try at some point.

I also have a copy of Witcher 3 sitting here. Untouched so far.

I am having a resurgence in interest in fantasy RPGs, including JRPGs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Mysti_Fogg wrote:

I used to play it a lot with my family and especially my grandmother. But since I got into modern boardgames I can't stand it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Mysti_Fogg wrote:

At one point, some intense Scrabble players in my play group asked me what Scrabble had ever done to me. Did it kill my cat?

Like I was some sort of freak for NOT liking the game. (I was just sitting around patiently waiting for them to finish so we could play something else.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I absolutely love Scrabble, and often win with over 200+ points. I've read books about those who compete in it, even I own a Scrabble dictionary (the words in it are ridiculous!) - but I wouldn't assume that everyone who works with words would love it. It takes a certain obsessive-puzzle oriented type to enjoy it - after all, it's all about anagrams not how the words are used. I mean, I also love reading dictionaries, so that is part of the fun for me - pulling out long-disused words that are still valid according to the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
adularia25 wrote:
I absolutely love Scrabble, and often win with over 200+ points. I've read books about those who compete in it, even I own a Scrabble dictionary (the words in it are ridiculous!) - but I wouldn't assume that everyone who works with words would love it. It takes a certain obsessive-puzzle oriented type to enjoy it - after all, it's all about anagrams not how the words are used. I mean, I also love reading dictionaries, so that is part of the fun for me - pulling out long-disused words that are still valid according to the rules.

There is a huuuuuge distinction to the gamey part of using the official dictionary in a way that is point oriented versus the fun of having a big vocab to bring to ursus. Both can be fun... but my preference leans me towards non-optimal points if it means putting a funny word on the board.

When we have played most recently, we like to designate one of our obscure profession based dictionaries for the game. I am the reigning champ using the 1702 Dictionary of Mechanical Terms as published by the New Haven Wainwright's Guild. Bring it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything Final Fantasy, everything Dark Souls, everything Grand Theft Auto.
I've dabbled enough with FF and GTA to know that I'm not interested in FF and loathe GTA. No interest in DS. Get a lot of puzzled looks over FF, a lot of outrage over GTA and the usual "Brah, you just got to git gud!" over DS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysti_Fogg wrote:

Thank God there's another one out there. I abhor Scrabble. Such an awful awful game. Instead of playing Scrabble I would rather sit in a dark room and despair while I considered my life choices that brought me to a moment of playing Scrabble.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True story: several years ago, I was out of state at a big family celebration, and for the first time since I was maybe 12 years old, I talked with the step-mom of a childhood friend.

She had become a hardcore tournament/ranked scrabble player. But she was also going through a kind of existential crisis about getting older and finding her purpose in life.

So now I always associate scrabble with deep existential dread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

And why wouldn't it be? Existential is a 36 point word!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'm just making stuff up for a joke, I have no idea what points the letters are worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
[...]the usual "Brah, you just got to git gud!" over DS.

Even when you're good at the game or enjoy challenge, the Dark Souls series has always been, to me, just okay at best. Though I did think Bloodborne was notably better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

And why wouldn't it be? Existential is a 36 point word!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'm just making stuff up for a joke, I have no idea what points the letters are worth.

Only the x isn't worth only 1 point, X is 8. As an 11 letter word in't can't be done as a single play. I've found 33 point and 34 point plays for finishing it... so not bad as a wild guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.