Elder Sign: Omens
The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood
Forbidden Island
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
yaverot wrote:
GibbRS wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

So now I always associate scrabble with deep existential dread.

And why wouldn't it be? Existential is a 36 point word!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I'm just making stuff up for a joke, I have no idea what points the letters are worth.

Only the x isn't worth only 1 point, X is 8. As an 11 letter word in't can't be done as a single play. I've found 33 point and 34 point plays for finishing it... so not bad as a wild guess.

If you started with 'TENT' in the right place, you could hypothetically play 'EXIS' + 'IAL' covering two triple word scores for 162 points, plus the 50 point bonus for playing all seven tiles for a grand total of 212. Probably not possible to do better than that unless you also form a cross word in the process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
Mysti_Fogg wrote:
People get on my back about Scrabble (the board game).

I work in publishing. I despise Scrabble. They can't quite seem to understand that working with words doesn't equal obsessing over Scrabble.

If you want more, spending all day essentially playing word puzzle games by trying to figure out what people meant by using context clues and the actual meanings of words is not the same as arbitrarily throwing letters onto a board for points. I don't like the crossword style layout getting in the way of me putting down a word, I don't like fitting things into an arbitrary size, and I've never liked using impressive words just to be impressive.

Thank God there's another one out there. I abhor Scrabble. Such an awful awful game. Instead of playing Scrabble I would rather sit in a dark room and despair while I considered my life choices that brought me to a moment of playing Scrabble.

I enjoy Scrabble as an exercise. What I don't like is the part of the game where all the other players are grumbling about AP and nagging you to take your turn already while you're searching for the best possible play. whistle

I like it as a puzzle, not so much as a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
A lot of friends and family really liked scrabble. I ended up starting to really dislike it once I learned the power of 2 letter words. Building a word parallel to an existing word, using a bunch of two letter words is probably one of the stronger things you can do in the game, because it prevents opening up a lot of new spaces while also letting you score a bunch of letters already on the board, and double scoring all the letters you put down.

But, learning that lead to a strong need to memorize all the two letter words. In one phone app someone in my family had, there was a button that just showed you every two letter word. Some of my "favorites".....

XU
ZA
XI
KI
GI
AA
ZO

Among many others.

I basically quit once I realized that 90% of the words I played down I had no idea what they meant, just that they were legal letter combinations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
The Legend of Zelda series (I think I've only played some of the first two?)

World of Warcraft
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
You should really buy it!
badge
Friday, June 28 2019!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised I haven't played all the Mario Karts (I've played half)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.