Popular Tags: [View All]
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
First off I want to thank you for letting me have my time to shine. Hope you have enjoyed the weekend with me!

Now for the introduction of the next VGGeek of the Week. I find his name popping up here and there, and I enjoy playing Video Game Hangman with him.

Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb

Quote:
Welcome, and thanks for reading this! I'm a long time board gamer, who used to play video games a lot more than I do now. I am a father of two beautiful ladies, the youngest of whom will graduate high school 7 days from when I become VG Geek of the Week. I've been married to my wife for 21.5 years. I'm currently working in the warehouse of an online vinyl record/CD store, coming up on my 5 year anniversary there. Now for the questions!

- What is the worst game you ever played (and why)?

I'm not sure what the worst was...I remember hating B-17 Bomber because I couldn't succeed at anything, and I paid extra money for that Intellivoice thing.

- What is your favorite video game-related memory?

Playing American football on my friend's Atari, and he is bragging how he is unbeatable at this game. And right after he said that I ran a defensive back at his tight end at JUST the right time, intercepting the pass, shaking his confidence, taking away his best play in his playbook, and ultimately beating him by two touchdowns.

- How long was your longest single VG-playing-session ever (and what game(s))?

At least 4 hours. I sat down at that same friend's house at around 7 p.m. to play Wolfenstein 3-D, and the next thing I know, the 11 o'clock news is on.

- What is your current platform of choice?

Intellivision will always have a special place in my heart. Currently the Xbox is hooked up. If you are looking for the new hotness, I am the WRONG VGGer to ask.

- What are you playing now, and what will you be playing next?

My oldest and I have been playing a little Doom. I'm not sure what we will play next.

- Do you use cheat codes?

No.

- What is your favorite contribution (of yours or of another user) to VGG (provide a link, if possible)?

MABBY's A different kind of Roll contest thingy, to use the acceptable parlance for these things

Now, list your Top 5 Games of All Time. Give some thought to which of these games you would keep if it were the only game you could have the rest of your life. Throughout your week in the spotlight, your fellow VGGeeks must guess which game you will select (and perhaps they may even try to sway you throughout the week why you should select a particular game, or maybe even why your favorites all suck!) At the end of the week, (right before passing the torch to the next VGGotW and going back to your mundane life) post a final message revealing your selection and why.

Poll
Which of these 5 games will Jerry select as the one game he would keep if he could have no other games the rest of his life?
  Your Answer   Vote Percent Vote Count
Burgertime
16.7% 2
Sub Hunt
8.3% 1
Tecmo Super Bowl
25.0% 3
Tetris Plus
25.0% 3
Wolfenstein 3-D
25.0% 3
Voters 12
This poll is now closed.   12 answers
Poll created by Elida
Closes: Sun Jun 2, 2019 6:00 am

Have fun in the sun, Jerry! kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jerry!

My youngest daughter is also graduating HS in a few days. thumbsup

What is the oldest system that you have played?

Do you multi-player game?

Enjoy your time in the sun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jerry!

Are there any videogames that you play/played with your daughters?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jerry!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Jerry:

What three games from you childhood (video or tabletop) do you remember the most?
Do you have plans on purchasing some new video games in the near future? Which? What platform?
TV/Computer is broken, it`ll take over a month to get new one (I shiver by the thought! blush). What do you do for games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jerry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
Congrats Jerry!

My youngest daughter is also graduating HS in a few days. thumbsup

What is the oldest system that you have played?

Do you multi-player game?

Enjoy your time in the sun.

Thanks, Jeff!

I know this one! TelStar by Coleco! My aunt got us one for Christmas in the late 70's.

I've only played multiplayer with my daughters. I'm not up to date enough to play with others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Congrats Jerry!

Are there any videogames that you play/played with your daughters?

Thanks, John Ray!

Doom with the oldest, and Ford Racing 3, Wii Sports resort, Intellivision Lives with both (every now and then).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadnorth wrote:
Congratulations Jerry!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!

Thanks, Doug!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Jerry! And congratulations on your daughter's graduation as well! Here are some questions:

1 Since you work around vinyl/cds, what's your favorite genre of music? Any favorite artists or bands?
2 What are some of your favorite board games?
3 What are some of your favorite games for your Xbox?
4 I noticed you had several NFL microbadges - which is your favorite team? (I'm going to guess Indy ) Any other sports you follow?
5 Outside of gaming, what are some of your hobbies?
6 How do you feel about pineapple on pizza?

Enjoy your time as GotW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Elida wrote:
Jerry:

What three games from you childhood (video or tabletop) do you remember the most?
Do you have plans on purchasing some new video games in the near future? Which? What platform?
TV/Computer is broken, it`ll take over a month to get new one (I shiver by the thought! blush). What do you do for games?

Thanks, Monica!

My mom loves to play tabletop games, and when I was young we played a ton of Careers, Clue, and Scrabble.

Well, it gets a little complicated. My oldest wants a newer system, but needs to save up to buy one. When she does, I will almost certainly buy something I'm interested in playing that plays on that platform. But I can't answer what game or what platform because she hasn't saved up enough to buy it yet.

I've actually been playing some lighter solo board games. Nothing requiring too much brainpower, because I don't have a lot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
Congrats Jerry!

Thanks, Ryan!

ghostpants wrote:
Congratulations, Jerry! And congratulations on your daughter's graduation as well! Here are some questions:

1 Since you work around vinyl/cds, what's your favorite genre of music? Any favorite artists or bands?
2 What are some of your favorite board games?
3 What are some of your favorite games for your Xbox?
4 I noticed you had several NFL microbadges - which is your favorite team? (I'm going to guess Indy ) Any other sports you follow?
5 Outside of gaming, what are some of your hobbies?
6 How do you feel about pineapple on pizza?

Enjoy your time as GotW!

Thanks, Gabe!

1 I like Country music and classical music, the best, but also like some jazz. Edit: If I hadn't worked where I do, I never would have found Eva Cassidy. I also like The Annie Moses Band, The Cars, Huey Lewis and the News, and a lot of Jack White.
2 Scotland Yard, Railways of the World, VOLT:Robot Battle Arena, Starfarers of Catan, and Quebec are my top 5.
3 Doom and Minecraft are the two I've played most. My oldest also owns a copy of Tropico 3, which I'm curious to try, but haven't yet.
4 Nope. The Pittsburgh Steelers are my team. The only other single event outside of the NFL I follow religiously is the Indy 500, won today by Simon Pagenaud.
5 I don't really have any other hobbies. I go to church, but that's not a hobby. I lead a boring life.
6 Every time I've had pineapple on pizza, I think to myself "This would be much better as a dessert than it is on this pizza." Pepperoni Forever!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Jerry!

Do you have a favorite comedian? Care to share a clip?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Man With The Head That Is Off
United Kingdom
Cowes
Isle of Wight
flag msg tools
That's going to happen, I don't think.
badge
Will I shut the holy hell up?
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Jerry.

Do you think that video games are more enjoyable than boardgames?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Congrats Jerry!

Do you have a favorite comedian? Care to share a clip?

Thanks, Seth!

My favorite right now is probably Robert G. Lee.

I can identify specifically with this clip because my wife will ask me strange questions in the middle of the night, like "When I die, who will you marry?" Sorry, honey, no way in the world I'll give you the name of someone I might consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pricero1 wrote:
Congrats, Jerry.

Do you think that video games are more enjoyable than boardgames?

Thanks, Robin Mango Boy Man with the head that is off!

No, for me boardgames are better. But lots of video games are fun, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Jerry!

Who is your favourite classical composer?

And more related... What is your favourite example / most nostalgic memory of classical music being used as part of a soundtrack to a video game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freechinanow wrote:
Congrats, Jerry!

Who is your favourite classical composer?

And more related... What is your favourite example / most nostalgic memory of classical music being used as part of a soundtrack to a video game?

Thanks, Adam!

I'll use his middle name: Amadeus.

At the end of Sub Hunt, if you are victorious over the invading fleet, it plays "Ride of the Valkyries" by Richard Wagner, heard at the 25:47 mark of this youtube video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Crazy Adam
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Congratulations. You have just discovered the secret message.
badge
Please send your answer to Old Pink, care of the Funny Farm, Chalfont.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrtolf wrote:
freechinanow wrote:
Congrats, Jerry![...]

Thanks, Adam![...]

That's some good chiptune!

I've done a bit of reading about the SID chip in the Commodore 64, as that was my jam as a kid. But I'm sure this point applies to any early sound generator: there are some great stories out there about how programmers had to make amazing creative leaps in programming to make these chips do what they want. Write code that was never designed for them to get interesting sounds and make them sound more powerful than they actually were.

Though it only used one voice, the chiptune that takes me back most is the theme from Super Solvers: Midnight Rescue, an educational program for PCs back in 1989. It was a pretty basic rendition of "The Sorcerer's Apprentice" and the in-game music is "In the Hall of the Mountain King". I'm sure those two themes primed my brain for my later love of classical music as an adult.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats Jerry! Have a fun and fruitful week of gaming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Congrats Jerry! Have a fun and fruitful week of gaming!

Thanks, Geoffrey!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Jerry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jrtolf wrote:

Thanks, Seth!

My favorite right now is probably Robert G. Lee.

Hadn't heard of him before! Cute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations on Geek of the Week Jerry!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Jerry! I hope you have a great week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.