Tropico 4
Elder Sign: Omens
The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood
Forbidden Island
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Which handheld system is your favorite? Anything from the Switch to the N Gage or Wonder Swan is in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
Currently, the Switch is king in this household.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nintendo DS.

Hard to see how anything else could possibly compete in terms of library, given that it's tied with the PS2 as the best-selling piece of gaming hardware ever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
The old school Gameboy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
iPhone. I don’t need another device.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been truly wow'd by two handheld systems in my life.

The Playstation Vita is a gorgeous system. The screen is amazing, the button layout is great, and it's relatively comfortable. Unfortunately the library wasn't the greatest on it, and the memory card issues caused it to not be as impactful as it should have been. I prefer my game library from the PSP, but the Vita wasn't too bad overall.

The second is the iPad actually. I'm a mostly anti-Apple person, but I bought a 3rd gen iPad back when 99% of board game apps were being released on it, and I was quite pleased with it. Beautiful screen, very responsive, games worked really well, battery life was quite good, etc. I still have it and still play games on it to this day, but it's definitely showing its age. It's not quite as responsive, and I've encountered a few different games that won't work on it because the iOS version cannot be upgraded past 9.

The Switch is a decent system, but the screen isn't super high quality, or resolution, it's not super comfortable to use for extended periods of time, and the battery life isn't all that great. However, the Switch is going to have quite possibly the best library of any handheld system ever, so it's going to be hard to compete with it. It already has something like 3 times the lifetime number of games the Wii U had, in only 3 years or something.

edit: after re-reading my opening line, I have to admit that the original Gameboy did wow me at the time. Thinking back it's hard to remember a black and green screen with no backlight wowing me, but I'm sure it was amazing for its time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Switch. The console came out of the gate kicking ass and revived an ailing console market as well as reminding everybody why Nintendo is still important and why they've been around so long. I love that it can seamlessly move back and forth between handheld and home console, I love how powerful it is (even if it's a bit behind the other consoles), and I love the library as it's the richest a Nintendo console has seen since the N64 thanks to another wave of outstanding first party titles and massive resurgence in third party support, as well as a wealth of indie titles. Just wish the battery life was a bit better and, more importantly, I wish that the grips were a bit more ergonomic when used in its basic handheld mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
Gameboy Advanced SP. I just have so many fond memories playing that little thing.

But the one I am actively using is my phone. I am going strong with my goal of playing/winning a 5 lap minimum race on F12016 on every circuit before the actual race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've never owned a standalone handheld game system, so the closest I've got is my phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the PlayStation Vita is the most impressive handheld system I've ever owned. The Switch is a close second, followed by the DS/3DS, but something about the original Vita felt incredible. It had vibrato. It was innovative. It's just such a shame that Sony screwed it up with the proprietary memory cards and lack of support in the West. Fortunately, I've always enjoyed JRPGs, and I discovered I also love visual novels, and there are plenty of both on the Vita.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Atari Lynx.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
It quacks
badge
What happens when you drop a duck egg on the ground?
mbmbmbmbmb
Today, it is just my smartphone.

In my youth, my only handheld game was this one, and I played it to death:

(yeah, I know, it is not a hand held system, but it was my only handheld game I had)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Jlerpy wrote:
I've never owned a standalone handheld game system, so the closest I've got is my phone.
Same, and i don't really like gaming on my phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
My sticky paws were into making straws out of big fat slurpy treats - incredible eight-foot heap / Now the funny glare to pay a gleaming tare in a staring under heat involved an under usual feat
mbmbmbmbmb
Nintendo 3DS in XLS format, with 3D turned off. Favorite, hands down, ever.

I have a Nintendo Switch and it just doesn't feel right. Totally awkward size and format. Too big for your pocket, too small to be great. The compromise that doesn't work. At least, for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely the DS, if only just for The World Ends with You, a unique, imaginative, and entertaining game that used the dual screens to great effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
When I was growing up, it was the Game Boy.

Then it was the Kindle... and now it is my phone. Which isn't so much a system, as my currently way of playing games contained only in my hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gameboy Advance SP. I've only had a few different handheld systems and just the backlight on this thing makes it much easier to play on the go than my PSP. It's kinda neat that they involved it with the GameCube in some of the games, but it's kinda a pain now that I moved away from my cousins and don't know anyone around with one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Game Boy Advance SP. A lot of my favorite games are Game Boy Advance games. I also like that you can play Game Boy games on it and that it has a backlight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
You should really buy it!
badge
Friday, June 28 2019!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nintendo Switch. Console games on the go. Better than all other systems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.