Tropico 4
Elder Sign: Omens
The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood
Forbidden Island
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Which video games have some of your favorite music? Do you listen to it outside of the game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Homeworld had some phenomenal atmospheric music - not to mention the chilling use of Adagio for Strings.
The copy I have (Game of the Year Edition or something like that?) came with an audio CD of the music, and it's great to put on in the background when doing other stuff.

At one point years ago I picked up a copy of the soundtrack CD for Command & Conquer: Red Alert. It had a few really great tracks on it ("Hell March" in particular), but the majority wasn't worth listening to outside the context of the game. Probably still have it somewhere, buried in a box in the basement.

ADDED: The Red Alert soundtrack is on Spotify! Couldn't find Homeworld, but there's a playlist that claims to have music that's similar.

Also, anyone that does have Spotify should look up the Capcom Sound Team. They've got the soundtracks from tons of great games on there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Secret of Mana (1993), Final Fantasy (Nobuo Uematsu era), Child of Light. Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished also had good music, and I remember playing Lunar: The Silver Star Story Complete's soundtrack a lot back in the day. There are probably some others I am forgetting because I haven't played them in so long.

I have the soundtrack to FFVII and a couple of others, so I do listen outside of playing. I also follow some music streamers on Twitch, many of which play video game music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam K
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy the music in the Civilization games (at least 3, 4, Colonization) though I don't listen to it outside the game.

Risk II makes heavy use of the 1812 Overture, which is one of my favorites.

Forza Motorsport 3/Forza Motorsport 4 have reasonably pleasant driving music. It's not my normal choice of music but works for the game.

Sid Meier's Pirates! (2004) also has some good classical music in it.

Sentinels of the Multiverse has some interesting music that I will listen to outside the game as a compromise with one of the kids that really likes electronic music that drives me insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
The original Tiger Woods 99 PGA Tour Golf because you could have custom soundtracks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the double CD of Digital Devil Saga. I wouldnt mind having the soundtrack to Might and Magic 6-8 either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WalkingDeadMann wrote:
I enjoy the music in the Civilization games.

Coincidentally, this was on my Facebook feed today:

While I've still never actually played the game, NIER remains my favorite soundtrack:

and I'll echo Stephanie on Secret of Mana and Nobuo Uematsu's stuff from Final Fantasy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, boy, just...so many. Shovel Knight, the Pillars of Eternity games, the Neverwinter Nights games, The Messenger, Streets of Rage 2, the Kingdom Hearts games, The Last Door series, Transistor, anything by Koji Kondo, most of the Sonic games, Axiom Verge and just...so many more. Oh, also, as for licensed soundtracks: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3 and 4, NHL 2003 and the Fallout games are the best by far and have informed a lot of my personal musical tastes. But yeah, I listen to around half the of the other ones I listened outside of their respective games and they're fantastic. I love music, so a good soundtrack to a game is basically a must for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
It's hard for me to remember the music from a video game, as it's just background sound to me (see today's blog post for more on that). But I do recall the music in Civilization IV and V being especially nice.

An older game that features strikingly good music is Fantasy General.

Oh, another one I liked is Railroad Tycoon II. (But the music turned out to be about the only thing I liked in that game.)

Lately I've been enjoying almost all the music in Age of Wonders III. It helps set the mood, and there's only one tune that gets a little on my nerves after a while.

I've never listened to game music outside the game. It always seems odd that soundtracks are sometimes sold separately or offered as part of a package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Way too many great video game soundtracks over the years. I tend to listen to a lot of music from video games, past and present. I buy games with the soundtrack included whenever able if I really like it, and sometimes just because.

Five soundtracks that I listen to regularly:
Halo 3: ODST
Mirror's Edge
Unreal Tournament
Planescape: Torment
Max Payne

Five soundtracks that have impressed me in the last decade or so:
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Sunless Sea
Bastion
The Banner Saga

Five solid soundtracks from games you might not have heard about:
Shadowrun: Dragonfall – Director's Cut
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Beatbuddy: Tale of the Guardians
Anno 2070
Serial Cleaner
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
I have mainstream (ie garbage) tastes so I don't expect anyone to be impressed.
Albums I own:
Kingdom Hearts
Kingdom Hearts II
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy VIII
Gitaroo Man
Guild Wars Nightfall

Games with music I listen to on the regular
Rocket League
Elderscrolls Series
PUMP IT UP Exceed
LOZ: Breath of the Wild
Pacman Championship Edition 2

All I can think of for now. I'll add more later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There should be a geeklist for providing the best 2 songs from any given game.

Sorry if too many links, I had a hard enough time whittling it down to just three. My favorite soundtrack I think, followed closely by Might and Magic 6.

For myself, music in animation and games is especially important and can make or break the experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WDP
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, the first thing that sprang to mind was Christopher Tin's Grammy-winning "Baba Yetu" at the opening of Civilization IV. My wife and I used to start that up and just leave the title menu open to play it. We still sing it together fairly frequently. You have to love the official music video:

Other great soundtracks I listen to frequently without the game include:
Victoria: An Empire Under the Sun
Europa Universalis II — my wife and I sing "Margot, labourez les vignes" together, most recently while harvesting last year's grapes.
Civilization IV: Colonization
Crusader Kings
Tropico: Paradise Island — I will sing "Morena café" to my wife a lot. She loves it.
Stronghold: Crusader

If I could listen to Agricola's soundtrack without opening the app, I would.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SanctuaryRPG has a great soundtrack, provided you enjoy chiptunes or chiptunes-inspired music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
You should really buy it!
badge
Friday, June 28 2019!
mbmbmbmbmb
Super Mario Galaxy has the best music
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
The stage music from Street Fighter II is burned into my brain for life. While Guile's theme does indeed go with everything, I love them all.

I also really like the sea shanties from Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, although I've never played the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.