Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015
Card Crawl
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you enjoy the “walking simulator” genre? If so, which games? You can view the genre loosely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sometimes enjoy games that are called that, although I sometimes really dislike games that are called that, and it's usually not clear to me why they are both supposed to be the same category of thing.

Gone Home is excellent.

Firewatch and Tacoma are both OK.

Those are probably the three I've played most recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a genre, no.

I found a few games -- Stanley Parable and Virginia -- pleasant enough. But I wouldn't seek out such games in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the idea of them, but I find myself not drawn to complete them in a lot of cases.

I played a bit of Dear Esther, which I think the term walking simulator was based on (could be wrong), and never finished it.

I explored the house a decent amount in Gone Home, but still never finished it.

What Remains of Edith Finch is one I played just recently, and I thought it was pretty cool, but alas, still never finished it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm apparently too far behind the times on recent games, because I'd never heard the term before. Even after a little research and looking up examples, I'm not seeing any that I've played.

Perhaps stretching it a bit, can the opening level of HλLF-LIFE count?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to be impressed, but to be fair I have yet to try the stanly parable which I would probably like.

Tried gone home and didn't like it. Loved the idea and thought it was made well but I ended up board and disinterested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a few:

Firewatch
Vanishing of Ethan Carter

a dipped into a few others, but didn't find them very enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These are not normally the type of game I get into. I enjoy exploration, but not that much, is how I'd put it.

However, I have played Gone Home and Firewatch as others have mentioned. And I've watched critical analyses of Edith Finch. They almost make me want to play it, my main issue is that it's a bit depressing and violent for me with all of the deaths. But I admire it in terms of its craftsmanship and family histories. I've also watched Stanley Parable walkthroughs, but while I get the point of the story, I find it boring.

I think the big difference between the early games like Serena and later games like Gone Home is how they play with the player's assumptions to deliver intellectually challenging stories. It's a matter of "how well did you read the situation and what do you think about it?"

So it's generally not my kind of game if I'm just going to be walking around looking at pretty things, but I'm always up for a mindscrew.

ETA: For those who are looking for a free trial, the guy who made The Stanley Parable also made the free downloadable game Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and the Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist. Is it the best? No. But it's a short representation of the Stanley Parable style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the genre on the whole. I think it gives space for experiences that are not usually provided by action-oriented mainstream, or even most indie, titles.

My favourites are probably What Remains of Edith Finch (I'm pretty sure that's the best the genre offered to date), Gone Home and The Vanishing of Ethan Carter (though that one has some more mechanics to it than just walking, so it's not a perfect fit in the genre). I also liked Dear Esther, Virginia (though I was more impressed with its art than its storytelling) and Firewatch (for the most part, though I was miffed about the conclusion), but was kind of ambivalent about things like Thirty Flights of Loving, Proteus or The Stanley Parable and strongly disliked some others, like Eidolon (which has some survival mechanics to it).

On our beaten geeklist Journey was called a walking sim - not what I would call it, perhaps, but it fits the bill somewhat. And Journey's awesome. If it does, then Abzu, which I also liked, is another walking sim I played.

I guess that Glitchhikers fits the description too, and I will take any opportunity to remind people that this is a game you should definitely play because it's weird but very cool and also FREE http://glitchhikers.com/download/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist is hands down my favorite.

Gone Home was also enjoyable as a moody, atmospheric game that could be picked up and played with little stress.

There are a couple of others I want to try. I like the low-stress way the game allows you to discover the story at your own pace, and the occasional puzzles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't seek out a walking sim game at this point, as I feel like a lot of them are boring and/or uninteresting. I did like some of them, though.

Stanley Parable is great. I found it funny and enjoyable. The Tiger Dr. Whirlwind Hiest whatever one was good, but not nearly as good as Stanley Parable, but it's short and free.

I've played through Gone Home, and I found it pretty boring, unoriginal, and unsatisfying. Dear Esther was better and had much more interesting environments, but was still just pretty good/OK. Proteus is very minimalistic and has some interesting ideas, but not enough to justify playing it for more than 10-15 minutes. I've played a few others that were just barely interactive storytelling mediums where you walk from one disjointed story bit to the next.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter Redux was good, though it has a lot more gameplay than most walking sims. Not enough to be completely a puzzle game, but more than any of the others I mentioned so far. I liked it for the Cthulhu-ish setting and the stunningly realistic environments.

ABZÛ is more of a "swimming simulator", but I found this one a lot more enjoyable than the Gone Home-style walking sims. There is also some light puzzle-gameplay in this one. There are a lot of interesting and colorful environments and things to see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysti_Fogg wrote:

ETA: For those who are looking for a free trial, the guy who made The Stanley Parable also made the free downloadable game Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and the Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist. Is it the best? No. But it's a short representation of the Stanley Parable style.

There is also a free demo of the Stanley Parable. And the Demo is completely different than the full game! Worth playing if you like the Stanley Parable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysti_Fogg wrote:

More precisely, Langeskov et al. was made by one half of the design team behind The Stanley Parable. The other half went on to create The Beginner's Guide. It seems to me that those who enjoyed the humor of The Stanley Parable would likely be drawn to Langeskov as a follow-up, and those who enjoyed the thought-provoking aspects of the narrative would likely be more interested in The Beginner's Guide. I think that says a lot about what each of them brought to The Stanley Parable to make it so special.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ooops
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
I played

Gone Home: Not bad but overrated in my opinion. The main plot is too predictable and the dad subplot is better but easily missed.

Firewatch: The mystery at the game's heart is not that great, but the rest, including the character interaction, is excellent.

The Stanley Parable: Certainly unique, but it didn't grab me nearly as much as most people.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter: Not a pure walking simulator, but the visuals are breathtakingly gorgeous.

What remains of Edith Finch: would have been perfect if it could have maintained consistent quality throughout the game. Still warmly recommended.

I like Walking Very Much: short, free, 2D walking simulator. I like it very much.

Proteus: nice aesthetics, but made me sick.

Connor Sherlock is a frequent producer of Walking Simulators. I find them all extremely bland.

Dear Esther: I played it a bit and quickly got stuck (Yes, I know...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not fond of it as a genre, but I find that I have very much enjoyed those that I have played:

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture was probably the first I played, and I still adore it. I love the visuals, and I love the music. I also like the mystery of it all.

Dear Esther is of the same team, but I've merely touched it.

The Vanishing of Ethan Carter was played with a very high enjoyment.

Firewatch I liked a lot, but not as much as the two above.

Stanley Parable Don't have it myself (would LOVE a PS4 port), but I really really enjoyed it. Especially the cupboard ending.

Considering that my gaming is mostly that I like to delve into a story and an atmosphere, Walking Sims should probably be my preferred genre. It isn't though, but the genre is definitely not deterring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Considering that my gaming is mostly that I like to delve into a story and an atmosphere, Walking Sims should probably be my preferred genre. It isn't though, but the genre is definitely not deterring.

Heh, that's kind of how I feel about them. I should like them more than I do since they hit most of what I'm looking for in a game... and yet... they are missing that one ingredient that would make this my favorite genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ive never played one but I think its something I could like. I enjoy exploration, especially in first person view. They seem sort of on rails the few Ive taken a glance at, besides that I dont think I completely understand the genre.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I think I've only played Gone Home, Firewatch and Stanley Parable, but I enjoyed them all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

Heh, that's kind of how I feel about them. I should like them more than I do since they hit most of what I'm looking for in a game... and yet... they are missing that one ingredient that would make this my favorite genre.
What ingredient is that, do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Zimeon wrote:

What ingredient is that, do you think?

I think it is me interacting with the game world.

I mean, in a way, Myst was a walking simulator, in that it's just you wandering around the various lands looking for clues as to what happened - and how can you get home... but with Myst I could trigger things in the world. There were more puzzles. In the walking simulators I've played thus far (which is a small number - there are likely some that do fall into what I'm talking about) the puzzles are few and far between, and aren't necessary to solve to move to a new place where I can walk around.

I like seeing where I need to go, but then having to solve a puzzle of some sort so I can get there. In the few walking simulators I've played, you can just go there, and if there are puzzles, they deal more with unlocking your understanding of the world, not where you physically can go in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.