The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood
Forbidden Island
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
33 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: VGG QOTD 2019 June 6 - Do you have any favorite World War II themed games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since today is the 75th anniversary of D-Day, I thought a WWII question might be in order. So, do you have any favorite World War II themed games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Iron Storm (Saturn)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
No. It is not a time period I enjoy. The only games I play with rampant battles are either ancient history, fantasy, or Sci-Fi with spaceship combat. I have no desire to live through modern atrocities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Medal of Honor: Allied Assault is definitely my favorite WWII themed game. For the time, it was an incredible experience and one of the games that first introduced me to competitive online multiplayer. Some of my love for the game is tied up in my memories with an old gaming clan, but I played through the story several times. It's interesting because it -- along with the original Call of Duty -- helped spawn the influx of tons of WWII themed games; too many, I'd say. And I grew to dislike the focus on a "one-man army" approach that had been present throughout the MOH series. Particularly in Allied Assault, you'd enter a mission with a squad of 5 people, and by the midpoint (if they even made it that far), they'd all be killed, leaving you alone once again. Not exactly a great leader there, Lt. Powell. I think the one exception is probably the Omaha Beach mission where you're surrounded by a large group of soldiers until the last minute or so.

At any rate, I occasionally revisit MOHAA and relive some of those exciting moments from nearly 2 decades ago. Fun times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
No. It is not a time period I enjoy. The only games I play with rampant battles are either ancient history, fantasy, or Sci-Fi with spaceship combat. I have no desire to live through modern atrocities.

Likewise. In fact, even ancient real-world war strikes me as inappropriate for games.

For me, that's what dwarves and orcs are for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually don't.

I played a little bit of Medal of Honor: Allied Assault and Call of Duty 2, but don't remember them very well and wasn't amazed by either.

If I still played RTS games, it would probably be Company of Heroes or the sequel.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
huh....I guess not.
I always had major complaints with medal of honor and call of duty games. I feel like games used WW2 as such a default setting that none really did exceptional with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
You should really buy it!
badge
Friday, June 28 2019!
mbmbmbmbmb
Only if you count Civilization IV due to WWII mods I never played....

Ironically, I don't play Civ much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam K
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I liked Company of Heroes and have been wanting to break it out again sometime soon.

Call of Duty (Core Series) and Medal of Honor were fun to play when I played them but I'm not necessarily wanting to get them out again.

There was also a WWII flying game on the Wii that I enjoyed but can't remember the name of right now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Since today is the 75th anniversary of D-Day, I thought a WWII question might be in order. So, do you have any favorite World War II themed games?

I don't really, because WW2 just isn't my favorite period. The reason for that, I think, is that I got an overdose of WW2 when I was a kid. My dad was one of those who parachuted into Normandy on D-Day; my little friends and I played army with WW2 surplus equipment; and there were too many shows and movies about WW2 on TV. So it got to where I wanted to turn my attention to something different for a change.

Also, I never liked mechanical or electronic gadgets much. So my interest in history has always been mainly in periods prior to the 20th century.

But if I had to name a good WW2 game that I've played, I guess it'd be Battle Academy. I haven't played much of it yet, but it's a nice series of easy-to-grasp tactical battles. BA brings back fond memories of Squad Leader and Advanced Squad Leader, plus Lock 'n Load. I still have a stack of LnL games in my closet, though I haven't touched one in at least a few years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer Front A tank simulator on the PS1. The game models tank combat pretty well. There is armor thickness of hull and turret and its four corresponding sides, the size of the gun, an optional manual gear drive. Theres plenty of 'oh shit' moments when a tank pops up on your flank and you are trying desperately to get this multi ton death trap turned so your thicker frontal armor may or may not protect you from the inevitable hit. There is no wind but there is shell drop, something I think all games should have. Its hard to tell if angles of shell hits go into the armor penetration equation, I thought it did when I was younger, not sure why... Great game, play as Britain, Germany and America, lots of content. You also will have a platoon of 3 tanks to set waypoints and commands for sometimes or some accompaning tanks you cannot control. I keep saying Im going to beat it again but its quite the endevour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
Medal of Honor: Rising Sun is my favorite by far. Really enjoyed the storyline and wasted countless hours on splitscreen multiplayer with my youngest brothers on the GameCube back in the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
E Decker wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

Likewise. In fact, even ancient real-world war strikes me as inappropriate for games.

For me, that's what dwarves and orcs are for.

I usually play the Sumerians in Freeciv, which is the closest I come to ancient wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far was a game that sparked a huge interest for both that type of game, but also for digging into the larger WW2 topic to find more personal stories about specific operations and the people involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Panzer General II

The best iteration of the PG series. I've played a bit of Steel Panthers, and East Front but never really got into either of them. Too hard to know how the engine is really working, though I occasionally go back to East Front, and have considered the rest of that series.

Close Combat: A Bridge Too Far was pretty good, but also ran into trouble with not knowing what's going on. When a PIAT team won't fire on a panzer that it's next to, and you can't find out why... I just kind of gave up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly, I'm having trouble thinking of any WWII games I've played anytime recently. Medal of Honor for PS1? Erm. Yeah, that's the only one I can think of. Good game though!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No.

I love film noir, but I can't think of any games in that genre actually set during WWII. There is no video game Casablanca. Though Discworld Noir does a nice parody of some of that.

And I don't generally play battlefield strategy games or shooter games, so that pretty much takes care of all of those options.

So, I love the setting, but no one makes a style of game I enjoy in that setting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
It quacks
badge
What happens when you drop a duck egg on the ground?
mbmbmbmbmb
The Medal of Honor series was my favorite. The Call of Duty series in WWII was a close second. I enjoyed the Company of Heroes series and the Battlefield franchise. To get into the skies, I enjoyed Aces of the Pacific and Aces Over Europe, which required me to buy a flight controller joystick to simply survive. But these are all old games.

Today, I play World of Tanks and the occasional World of Warplanes: Those span almost all of the 1900s, with WWII getting the bulk of the attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Maynard
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The latest one I played was Order of Battle: Pacific which is not bad as a turn based hex movement game strategy game. I feel sure I used to play others years ago but can't remember what they were.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games I enjoyed in my youth are Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines and Wolfenstein 3D.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wolfenstein 3D, if that counts.

Battlefield 1942 was fun.

I also have some fond memories of the original Call of Duty, mostly for some of the American campaign and the beginning of the Soviet campaign (you start without a gun and have to figure out how not to get killed by a German machine gun nest in front and your own commissar behind you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
Panzer General II
The best iteration of the PG series.

Yes, that is a good one (once you get used to the graphics). I'd like to get back to playing that again someday, when I don't have a hundred other games vying for my time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pdzoch wrote:
To get into the skies, I enjoyed Aces of the Pacific and Aces Over Europe, which required me to buy a flight controller joystick to simply survive.

I liked those too. I'd already bought a flight stick for Red Baron, but I needed it more for these WW2 games.

And that reminds me of the games I should have named in my first reply:
Silent Service II
Silent Hunter III
Those I still play today (on rare occasions, when I find time). One's old, and one's newer, but game play is excellent in both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
pdzoch wrote:
To get into the skies, I enjoyed Aces of the Pacific and Aces Over Europe, which required me to buy a flight controller joystick to simply survive.

I liked those too. I'd already bought a flight stick for Red Baron, but I needed it more for these WW2 games.

And that reminds me of the games I should have named in my first reply:
Silent Service II
Silent Hunter III
Those I still play today (on rare occasions, when I find time). One's old, and one's newer, but game play is excellent in both.

It's interesting to me that I'm generally okay with historical naval and air combat games, but I have to overcome a lot of internal resistance to playing first-person shooters with a realistic setting. The really intriguing thing is how this parallels real-life situations, where physical distance and/or visual obfuscation of a target affects most ordinary people's resistance to pulling the trigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Mission Is another good one if you want a good tactical simulator. Theres a pretty high bar to entry, the controls are simple enough, but you will be learning WWII era command and control, basic modern combat principles, and becoming familiar with the equipment and its effective uses and ranges.
I prefer the recon in force type missions, smaller scale with better trained troops, a very dynamic battle compared to assaults. The larger battles feel more like work, just too much time spent giving commands. Infantry morale is also a big factor, which I like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.