Forbidden Island
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I've never played one. But I often thought I would like to. I was kinda interested in Call of Duty: WWII recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope. I play games for escapism and entertainment. Don't find much escapism or entertainment in a video game representation of a horrible tragedy.

Future war stuff? Sure. I'll go for that. There is a degree of abstraction there allows me to have some amount of fun. A recreation of a real war? Nope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
A recreation of a real war? Nope.
The thing that makes WW2 so interesting is that you have a clear enemy and it was the last time that you had somewhat symmetric warfare (like tanks against tanks etc.) and not drones against peasants.

It is difficult to pick a favorite one. I eally liked Hidden and Dangerous as it was a difficult coop shoort with great missions. Was quite buggy though. The first Battlefield 1942 was also one of the best games I ever played (again coop against bots). The recent two Wolfenstein games were also fantastic. The Hearts of Iron series will also always remain favorites (especially if played coop). Blitzkrieg (or was it one of the Sudden Strike games before that?) would be my favorite WW2 RTS game (and I don't even like that genre).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
COD5 for sure. It's actually the real first fps I remember playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
Lurkfish wrote:
A recreation of a real war? Nope.
The thing that makes WW2 so interesting is that you have a clear enemy and it was the last time that you had somewhat symmetric warfare (like tanks against tanks etc.) and not drones against peasants.

Actually, you can turn any war into either of those things, just by being selective about the specific scenario and putting yourself in the right mind-set.

But in real war, commanders don't go around looking for fair fights. It's more or less an accident if the opposing forces turn out to be evenly matched. Strategy is all about making sure your side has as big an advantage as possible. Ideally you'll just make such a show of force that the enemy will surrender (or be annihilated, if that's what you have in mind).

The cool thing about re-creating real war is that it's realistic. You're exploring things that actually happened or could have happened. And that transports you to another time and place. Not a make-believe time and place, but an actual time and place.

Fantasy is fine. But the experience of it can be more powerful if you fantasize about something that really could (or did) happen.

Of course you have to get your mind in the right place. You'll spoil your own fantasy if you focus on the gore and horror or the senselessness of it all. So you have to turn away from that and concentrate on the heroics and brilliant maneuvers instead. World War II games are meant to be played like propaganda films.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Actually, you can turn any war into either of those things, just by being selective about the specific scenario and putting yourself in the right mind-set.
But you don't want such "unfair" advantages in multiplayer games. At least I haven't encountered any yet.

And IIRC there was no other war where tanks went against tanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
Quote:
But you don't want such "unfair" advantages in multiplayer games.

That's part of the problem with turning war into games, or making games based on warfare. Players still seek advantages, of course, but the game designer wants every scenario to be balanced. Real-life war makers don't want that at all; for them, the more one-sided it is, the better.

So the game designer has to decide whether to be true to history or to create an interesting game. The board wargame France 1940 was based on a one-sided situation, and the designers included various options for play balance. But most gamers rejected the idea of re-creating a scenario where the Germans always won.

Quote:
And IIRC there was no other war where tanks went against tanks.

Well, if you really like tanks, World War II is your war. There was some of that in the Korean War and Arab-Israeli Wars. But yeah, military technology is always evolving, and WW2 was apparently the window of opportunity for things like the armored blitzkrieg, strategic bombing, and massive parachute drops.

There were other periods of military history where a "balance of arms" showed up--the Napoleonic Wars, for example, where infantry, cavalry, and artillery were all effective. Probably some of the ancient wars too, where infantry, archers, and cavalry or chariots (or even elephants) acted in concert.

But it's true that World War II is the most recent example of widespread warfare with some kind of "balance of arms."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
admin
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mbmbmb
I have a lot I love, spanning a number of genres; RTS, (turn based) strategy, FPS, simulation.

My current favorite is Steel Division: Normandy 44

My all-time favorite I still play is Company of Heroes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.