Tropico 4
Elder Sign: Omens
The Lord of the Rings Online: Siege of Mirkwood
Forbidden Island
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside of VGG, where do you read about gaming?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Hardly anywhere. But very recently I've started peeking into the Paradox forum for Age of Wonders III, since I play the game all the time.

In the past, when I was into Civilization, I'd likewise browse around the Civ Fanatics site.

Usually my reading is on a game-by-game basis that way. But every now and then I see something like the Rock, Paper, Shotgun list of top games, and I'll read through that to see what I might be missing.

I've never found my kind of place to read about games and gaming, but VGG comes closest. Everywhere else I've looked, conversation threads are dominated by technical queries or advanced discussions by power gamers. Technical matters rarely concern me, and the advanced discussions go right over my head.

I like talking about the joy of playing my favorite games on an amateur, just-for-fun level. I may aspire to mastery, but when it comes to a game, I'm unlikely to want to work at achieving it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I follow Emily Short's blog. Other than that I mostly follow the links posted in our off topic work chat, since most of what goes in there is related to the video game industry - just not the game we're working on!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hardly anywhere. However improbable it seems in theory, I feel like, in reality, the internet has utterly failed when it comes to videogame culture and discussion. But, I suspect I feel that way because I grew up with 'phase 1' internet, which is definitely dying. If I had to guess, the most interesting exchanges probably take place via Discord, or in small twitch communities around lowkey streamers (one who I follow that fits this mold is Sajam).

GameFAQs, which I fondly remember from the first decade of the 2000s, is a shambling zombie. I can barely bring myself to browse forums there.

Fan wikis are almost always an incomplete, unreliable, haphazard mess. If you think about how bulletproof a wiki would have been for something like The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion or Demon's Souls, equivalent resources for newer things are just awful.

One relatively new website, that for me captures the state of affairs perfectly, is called "beforeIplay." It's a minimalist website where the idea is for each game to have a simple page of bullet-point insights about a game that may not be immediately obvious to someone firing it up for the first time.

Almost without exception, though, information at beforeIplay is garbage. You can tell there's no scrutiny, no collaborative vetting of ideas, no standards, etc. Basically, no shared priority that any information provided actually hold up. Instead, it's an outlet for narcissism. I feel like I know something about this game, and I'm going to share that sense of know-it-all-ism on this website. Being correct or even just on solid ground is beside the point.

I hate the videogaming internet. Hate it.

Thanks for making me feel like an old man, Gabe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I check reddit.com/r/Games daily for news, and occasionally a discussion thread pops up that I peruse (they have a similar weekly "what have you been playing" thread). It's more of a news aggregator than a discussion board though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Gaming magazines or Gamespot and IGN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Every once in a while I get a game-related headline in my newsfeed, such as this one about Baldur's Gate 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because I've subscribed to a few gaming outlets on social media for contests, I now get updates in my feed from places like PC Gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
mb

r/patientgamers

Pretty much exactly my people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I mostly just check specific subreddits for games or game series that I like, like r/HiTMAN, r/STALKER, and r/XCOM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Any feed that pops up on my phone through my Google preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I've started to follow Kotaku.com. It seems to be the news site most closely aligned with my interests, maybe because it's Australian?

I also have a few other sites on my Facebook: PS4 Daily News, Co-Optimus, TheGamer (mostly comedy), Pure Nintendo.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
I use Flipboard
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kennan Ward
United States
Idaho
flag msg tools
Angry Joe Show Army Community Admin
badge
Hot sauce is life
mbmbmbmbmb
I compile current and upcoming release and company news with the best writing and videos I find every week for the past 3 1/2 years or so, so I check gamesindustry.biz, gamasutra, kotaku, pcgamesn, paste, waypoint, pcgamer, eurogamer, usgamer, vg247, polygon, gematsu, rockpapershotgun, siliconera, game informer, etc. Smaller sites/blogs like zeal, bullet points, timber owls, heterotopias, deorbital, unwinnable, the digital antiquarian, etc. Check other compilations like critical distance and gamasutra's Deep Cuts.

Follow a few 100 people related to the industry on Twitter.

Check the better Youtbers like Noah Gervais, RagnarRox, hbomberguy, Michael Saba, Folding Ideas, Jacob Geller, Noclip, Satchbag's Goods, Cool Ghosts, Cloth Map, Daryl Talks Games, Writing On Games, Errant Signal, InnuendoStudios, Game Maker's Toolkit, Super Bunnyhop, History Respawned, Gameumentary, Game Score Fanfare, People Make Games, Raycevick, Dan Root, 8-bit Music Theory, Gaming Historian, Micah Edmonds, Pushing Up Roses, HeavyEyed, CoreAGaming, Adam Millard, AI and Games, etc.

I wouldn't use forums/reddit/game communities to find out or keep up with games though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bloody Retributor
msg tools
badge
I barely even read VGG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
general news?
-Google's been flinging random feeds my way (and in the same cool and creepy way, has been pretty decent at delivering sufficiently relevant news).
-Another would be Ars Technica (I even read bg stuff on there ), but mirroring another user, I hardly read that
-oddly enough, Quora has been used, even though "not on purpose"

specific stuff?
-for StarCraft 2 Coop, and Sc2 in general..
Reddit
Blizzard's own forums (which they changed to some new system. No more downvoting, but you can now see who upvoted for individual posts. Also got some "deluxe" features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes I read the random news articles that show up on my phone, but I don't really have any other dedicated place I go to. If I am looking for something specific, I will just google it and click on whichever ones sound interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Outside of VGG, I don't really read a ton about gaming. If a headline catches my eye or I hear some rumblings, I'll read a random article or do a quick Google search. The one exception is GiantBomb. I've always had a lot of respect for Jeff Gerstmann, so I go to those guys for their initial impressions, news, and reviews from time to time. Their podcast is also great, though it's too long for me to listen to every episode these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dysjunct wrote:
I barely even read VGG!
I gotta confess, when I'm on BGG, I don't really keep up on new stuff. Whatever crosses my way by way of other posters. I am subscribed to the iOS Board Games and BGG News blogs, but even then, it's usually a cursory glance at the stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't come here for news at all, of course (who would) but mostly for some nice interactions and thoughts from older videogaming fans.

If I want PC gaming news, I usually hit up RPS, though I'm not fond of their political or social slant at all. It's blatant and unnecessary and ruins what might be otherwise a great article. But that's all I'll say about that.

Facebook pages sometimes will inform me as well (for the big companies). I sometimes find Reddit helpful but again, more for discussions than anything else.

I never use a YouTube goofball for anything. They're next to useless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.