Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GOG has a big sale on, but their top selling game at the moment is Cyberpunk 2077, currently slated for release on 16. April 2020.

"soon"!

It's also the #1 global best selling game on Steam right now.

WTF...
shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup. I'll never really understand how videogaming developed this level of intensity around anticipated, unknown things.

Also, YOU'RE BREATHTAKING!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
flag msg tools
Snake? What happened? Snake! Snaaaaaake!
badge
Your eyebrows won't save you now.
mb
I agree but it doesn't surprise me in this case as this is a game that people have been anticipating for ages and not just the next churned out EA sports title or CoD release.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Yup. I'll never really understand how videogaming developed this level of intensity around anticipated, unknown things.

I don't know what that means.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

I look forward to this Deus Ex DLC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who tends to buys games 5-25 years after their release, the idea of buying a game before it comes out does seem alien.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
As someone who tends to buys games 5-25 years after their release, the idea of buying a game before it comes out does seem alien.
it's about a opposite s out gets. I typically buy games LOONG after they've been released. Chalk that up to lousy time management skills and distracted by many other forms of entertainment means I'm less incentived to buy games when i already have plenty. Hell, I've gotten to a few of my iOS Games that i purchased years ago, only to realize that because I'm still on older versions of the OS. Much less likely of updates for me (that, and possbility it's no longer supported anyways).

Also worth noting is you can pre-order games and other apps on Android and iOS. However, they have more laid out rules. E.g. release had to come out 4 months later. If you up the price, ppl who paid a cheaper price get to dreary on that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too find it odd. I mean, it's probably going to be good, but what if it turns out to be awful?

*On a side note, I find the use of celebrity models in videogames really breaks the fourth wall for me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It started because games used to run out of stock in stores, and it migrated to downloads, which ... well, they still need server capacity to deliver all of those games, so it's still good to see how many people want it ahead of time.

Though it certainly has a ton of downsides.

That said, there are also people who participate in this like a cultural event, and not being able to trust EA, Bethesda, Activision, etc. is making them super excited for a publisher that thus far they can trust: CD Projekt Red. Even if there's an off chance that the game is bad, it will be because of something core to the concept went wrong/didn't appeal to the audience. It won't be that they didn't try their hardest to make a good game. So this will probably be money well spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysti_Fogg wrote:

That said, there are also people who participate in this like a cultural event, and not being able to trust EA, Bethesda, Activision, etc. is making them super excited for a publisher that thus far they can trust: CD Projekt Red. Even if there's an off chance that the game is bad, it will be because of something core to the concept went wrong/didn't appeal to the audience. It won't be that they didn't try their hardest to make a good game. So this will probably be money well spent.

That's fair.

Watching the reveal for Cyberpunk 2077 made me smile, and I don't even care for The Witcher 3, which is the sole reason CDPR among the highest gamer-cred of any developer.

I just don't understand the way the "cultural event" is an almost week-to-week way of life for some gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysti_Fogg wrote:
there are also people who participate in this like a cultural event

Not being a part of the zeitgeist is the one thing I feel I miss out on by playing older games.

As someone who really doesn't play mutliplayer games though I don't mechanically miss out on much. I don't care the servers lose their population.

The one big exception to that is Monster Hunter. I have actually thought about jumping in on that on Steam. But I'm not super keen on dedicating hundreds of hours into one game right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysti_Fogg wrote:
It won't be that they didn't try their hardest to make a good game. So this will probably be money well spent.

I'm not sure about that. I think massive preorders create a perverse incentive, no matter who the developer is. If we assume the game isn't coming out now because it's not finished, then this is still a project where things can (and likely, will) go wrong before April 2020. Having tens or hundreds of thousands of people expecting it on that date because they "paid for it" to happen, then any significant delay in the roadmap between now and launch becomes that much harder to deal with.

Either;
A. Delay the launch and get those multitudes of preorder customers pissed off at you. (Not all, for sure, but even a vocal minority can taint the discourse online in a way that damages company reputation)
B. Launch the game before it is polished enough, and just become another one of those maligned publishers that push out a product on time regardless of the end-user experience on day one, because it will get better when it's patched out later.
C. Ramp up the crunch time at the studio and avoid unhappy customers by treating your employees lives as expendable.

Maybe everything will go fine and none of the scenarios I have listed above will happen. But I feel like even setting up the increased likelihood of those outcomes by opening fully paid-up preorders almost a year in advance of a planned launch date is a problem in and of itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Mysti_Fogg wrote:
there are also people who participate in this like a cultural event

Not being a part of the zeitgeist is the one thing I feel I miss out on by playing older games.

I might feel that way, except that I've gotten old enough that the "cultural event" always seems to pass in the blink of an eye. I'm not sharp enough to catch these flashes of Zeitgeist before they're superseded by the next cool thing to come along.

I'm sure novelty sells, though (as long as it's also got some sex or violence). Nothing new about that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
What Luke said, for the most part.

Excluding Kickstarter, note that video games are literally the only medium to use this marketing technique.

Books are not pre-sold until they're completed.

You don't buy your movie tickets a year in advance (unless it's some really exclusive event, but even then, the movie in question is probably well into post-production at that point).

Nor do you do it, for the most part, for music albums. Or, if you do, the music you're buying is completed or at least nearing completion at the time of purchase.

Board game do this mostly via Kickstarter. RPGs do this mostly via Kickstarter. But preorders are the bread and butter of video game development.

I can tell you for a fact that the devs behind Cyberpunk 2077 are currently sitting on an unfinished product, that they will have to put in many more hours before it's release-worthy. Game production doesn't end until at least around a month before release, and more often than not work is put in at the Eleventh hour (which for AAA titles tends to be at least a few weeks in advance of launch due to physical production) to fix bugs and implement last-second changes. And even if production ends earlier, that's only because they have to lock down physical production and the whole acceptance procedure on console, and that's how you get massive Day 1 Patches. They HAD to push a buggy and unstable version of the game to not miss their release window, but they know about it, and put in work as that process happens to patch the game on launch so it isn't shit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:
Nor do you do it, for the most part, for music albums. Or, if you do, the music you're buying is completed or at least nearing completion at the time of purchase.

Good point, although interestingly enough, this is becoming less and less true these days if you're not a marquee artist on a major label. When physical album sales made more of an impact, the label would typically front the studio, production, marketing, etc. costs and then that would be paid back with album sales. These days where the market is more single driven than album driven and streaming is a thing, labels are in many cases not fronting any money at all. Instead, a band or artist will crowdfund the production costs, typically through album + merch preorder bundles, often before they've set foot in the studio. Then, if they're lucky and their label contract calls for it, the label will pay them the production cost plus points. When I was mixing more often, I had a more than a few nasty label contracts come across my desk. It's getting to the point where you're better off independent if you can get yourself heard.

Granted, this is often less applicable if a band or artist has been around for sufficient time and has a strong core following.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
@Krzysztof

How do you feel about CDPR having (apparently) the most anticipated title of any kind for the next full year? Thought you might have an interesting perspective as someone who has worked in development in Poland.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really have a perspective on what CDPR does that goes beyond being a fan of their games. Polish Gamedev is small, but I'm not the kind of guy who's at every industry event and hangs out with luminaries - I know a few of people like that, and I know a few indie devs and people active in and around the industry, but I'm pretty much a nobody in the grand scale of things I do have a few contacts in CDP Red proper, but when we talk, we don't discuss their work.

From the viewpoint of a fan and a person who preordered all three Witchers, I'm simultaneously happy for them, somewhat proud that it's a Polish company (my patriotism took a huge dip in recent years though, so it's less important to me than it was in the past) and also not all that surprised. It's a game a lot of people (me included) waited for the last 6 years, coming from a developer who's last game was a huge hit with audiences. Also, it's based on an existing and cult IP, though from how the game looks on trailers (both cinematic and gameplay) I wouldn't blame anyone if they don't even realize this is not a "Genre Name: The Game" situation.

Personally-personally, I worry about the work-life balance of those few people from CDPR I know because I've heard all the same rumours about crunch and a lack of solid direction in CP2077 that everyone else heard of. And I hope against hope that CDPR really are the good guys in that they have the good of their game in mind, and will not make marketing calls that hurt the game just to maximize profit. In some way, they really ARE the only company in the world right now that is essentially independent and makes no-bullshit single player RPGs at AAA quality. And I wonder how many skeletons they keep in their closets to make that happen in today's market. That worries me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:
What Luke said, for the most part.

Excluding Kickstarter, note that video games are literally the only medium to use this marketing technique.
Marketing or sales? Or same difference? Not trying to mince words solely for the sake of doing so.

With these vg, they're trying to build hype to generate sales. It reminds me of when I visited the Coca Cola museum in Atlanta, Georgia. The 'joke' premise is "Here's some sugar water we marketed the hell out of. It's worked out real well for us. Here, have a sample!", but it's not that far off from the truth. Their ads just build up good memories associated with their product, and, that seems to have worked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

As someone who really doesn't play mutliplayer games though I don't mechanically miss out on much. I don't care the servers lose their population.

The one big exception to that is Monster Hunter. I have actually thought about jumping in on that on Steam. But I'm not super keen on dedicating hundreds of hours into one game right now.

If you feel Monster Hunter has passed you by, perhaps I can interest you in God Eater (1 or 2) with me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
frumpish wrote:

If you feel Monster Hunter has passed you by, perhaps I can interest you in God Eater (1 or 2) with me?

It's more the time commitment than it being late in the season for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Piñata
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@Luke,

Ahahaha, wow, I thought the exact same thing when I saw it on the Steam home page! I was like wait, what, release 2020 and already top seller?!
Game looks pretty cool, but what a risk. I don't know much about pre-order culture, but it could explain it.

Edit: Unless it's helping developers like a crowdfunding model, hmm. I still don't get it though (from a buyer's side). Nevermind, Lord_Kristof mentioned this point as well. I should have replied after reading whole thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Piñata
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

I'm the same way. So many great past games to still play. I'll periodically do a new short indie release to support some fun titles and very VERY rarely a new AAA title just to stay somewhat current...BUT a pre-order without peer reviews and on something over a year away!!!? Unless it's helping developers like a crowdfunding model, hmm.

So little time, so many great games! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.