Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: VGG QOTD 2019 June 10 - Do you preorder games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Inspired by this thread, it got me thinking about the concept of preordering. Do you preorder games? Why or why not?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not usually. I only have a couple of times in the past. I already have a huge number of games, and it would probably drop a significant amount in price by the time I get around to playing the game anyway. No point in wasting money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an interesting relationship with preordering games. I worked at GameStop for several years, and at the time, preordering was a big part of the business model. So the concept of preordering games was, to some extent, ingrained into me. See a game you think you might like to play at launch? Cool, here's a small incentive to go ahead and preorder it. While I was working there, I preordered pretty much every game I was remotely interested in playing, which usually meant I cancelled a good portion of them when I discovered the games were mediocre or had major problems.

It wasn't until after I stopped working there that I stopped preordering so much. I still did occasionally, but it just didn't feel necessary anymore. The incentives are typically mediocre, and I very rarely encountered a situation where I wanted to pick up a game at launch but there were no extra copies. Not to mention that's not even an issue to begin with if you're buying digitally. These days, I will very occasionally preorder a game. I typically reserve that for games I know I want to play at launch, the day that sucker comes out, which is honestly quite rare. Most recently, it was Death Stranding.

For some, preordering is a very foreign thing, and I absolutely understand that perspective. For me, it was somewhat the opposite since it was a big part of 50 hours of my week for a few years. Nowadays, I am ambivalent towards preordering. If it's a digital game, I never do it. If it's a game I want to own physically and play on day one, I will. I'm never really enticed by preorder bonuses or the sort.

Some take the position that preordering hurts the industry because devs and publishers get to make sales before the game is complete, and a whole host of problems comes with that. But I also wonder if those fears are a bit inflated. If we were to abandon the idea of preordering, I wonder if day one adopters would have essentially the same impact, especially with digital gaming become more and more prevalent. But I don't know.

TL;DR: Yes, sometimes, but not often. I'm ambivalent about it and don't really care much about the impact the practice has on the industry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I never have. In my case, it's because I rarely buy new games anyway. I have plenty of great games in my library, and I've barely scratched the surface of most of them. The thought of buying yet another game just makes me sad, as I know there's not enough time to play everything.

So in my situation, it makes more sense to wait until a game has been around so long that it's on sale and comes with all the DLC.

A recent case in point is Age of Wonders: Planetfall. I own all the other AoW games, and it's one of the best series I've ever played. But I don't need anything distracting me from AoW3 right now; I'm just starting to get the hang of it.

Several years from now, if I'm still curious about Planetfall, I'll buy a discounted copy and try it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Occasionally when I see something that I'm interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I preorder far more board games than video games or tabletop RPGs. I'm quite active on Kickstarter, and I'm more likely to back something that is designed by someone I've interacted with. That said, I also like throwing money at projects I want to succeed because I want more games in a particular genre. The whole "vote with your money" idea - I back what I want to see more of.

All the preorders for video games I've gotten were in that last category. They were for adventure games. I want the makers of them to know that there is a loyal fanbase out here who want more of those games.

I've also gotten preorders for my husband as a gift - namely Galactic Civilizations III which he is still happily playing. And the preorder allowed him to put in a name for one of the solar systems (they are randomly generated from a pool each time you play, though if you colonize that section of space you can always change the name from the default).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
All the preorders for video games I've gotten were in that last category. They were for adventure games. I want the makers of them to know that there is a loyal fanbase out here who want more of those games.

I did the same with a number of PlayStation Vita games I was interested in. I tried (in vain, obviously) to help save the Vita in the West, lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
I only preordered four games over the years, and only did it because I bought Collector's Editions or otherwise special editions. The Witcher, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings, Deus Ex: Human Revolution and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. I don't think I'll preorder Cyberpunk 2077, but I'm still kind of on the fence about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Kristof wrote:
[...] and only did it because I bought Collector's Editions or otherwise special editions.

That's another good point. I don't typically buy collector's editions, but there have been a couple over the years that I wanted to get, so I was sure to preorder them. Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance was probably the last one, if I recall correctly. Still a really cool collector's edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never have. Wouldn't even know how to do it.

I don't even like to know when games are coming out. If I pay the tiniest bit of attention, I'll hear about them when they do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Generally no.

I did preorder the recent release of Phoenix Wright Trilogy for PC. But these were older games that I was certain I was going to like and would be of high quality. It was also only $30, and I considered that a good price for the amount of fun.

I can't really think of anything else I preordered. Maybe Banner Saga 3 because after playing the first two, of course I was going to buy the last one.

Oh, I used to do it with Telltale games where you can purchase all episodes of a series and wait for each to be released. Worked well for me with Monkey Island, Back to the Future, and Wolf Among Us. I stopped that policy when they released Game of Thrones. Telltale's Game of Thrones was awful and if I cared that much about $30, grounds to sue for fraud.

Anyway, with all of those games, they were things I was fairly convinced I would like and they wouldn't break my bank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only ever pre-ordered a game twice that I can recall. World of Warcraft: The Burning Crusade and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

If we count Kickstarter as pre-ordering then I've done it several more times:

Pillars of Eternity
Elite: Dangerous
War for the Overworld
Telepath Tactics
Torment: Tides of Numenera
The Mandate
Underworld Ascendant
Summer in Mara
Lunark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to. I'm a sucker for collectables so I've always been kind of a prime target for preorder sales. I rarely do now that I've switched primarily to PC in the last four or five years. I care more about how good a game is so I know where I'm putting my money rather than how nice the trinket is, though I admit Fallout 4's collector's edition got me with the Pip-Boy back in 2015. Still my favorite video game related collectable that I own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not since No Man's Sky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I have preordered a couple of games. Mainly I do it when I am excited about a game and I want to have a stake in that excitement. The existence of a preorder makes me happy, and I also know that I'll receive the game pretty early. It's a bit like booking a holiday in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Zoshak
msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not from the AAA PC houses. It doesn't matter how good the last game was: the better the last game, the more rushed the next.

Square Enix is the last major multinational PC developer I have any faith in at all, and it is a thin cord. This is going to be a rough year for them between the player-unfriendly changes lined up for the new FFXIV expansion and the ill-advised episodic FFVII remake starting next March.

I have been out of the console game long enough that I've never been burned by the day-one patch phenomenon, so I'll still preorder the occasional Switch game from a development team I respect, but generally only if they are doing something unique I want to encourage. That's why I currently have preorders for Super Mario Maker 2 and Dragon Quest Builders 2 on Switch, because even if they screw these up, I still want the publishers to know there is strong interest in the concepts.

Otherwise, there is no good reason why I can't wait a week after launch to make sure everything is ticking over as expected.

MMOs are a special case, I guess. I have Shadowbringers preordered because I play with friends and not being able to jump right in would be a hardship. But when Battle for Azeroth was announced, it promised to be such a cluster that I didn't buy it /at all/ despite having an active WoW subscription. There was still plenty of Legion I hadn't done yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was only one game I have ever pre-ordered: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. There will probably be another game I will pre-order if the E3 Nintendo Direct will confirm its existence: a new Ice Climber game, because it hasn't had an additional game in 34 years, and I want to support the franchise as soon as possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-order games because of the following reasons:

1.) A limited edition that will likely sell out. Nippon Ichi limited editions fall into this category for me.

2.) A game has some pre-order bonus that I want to get.

3.) I used to pre-order games when amazon had 20% off of pre-orders, and I pre-ordered a few games back before the program ended.

4.) In rare cases, I'll pre-order a game to support the developers, but that's usually just for small companies, kickstarters, etc.

I don't see the use of pre-ordering some big title in digital format that will not sell out and doesn't have any pre-order bonuses. I know it's next to impossible to find a big game that doesn't have pre-order bonuses though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I don't. I have way too many games that I KNOW are good to pay full price or more on games from the future that may or may not be terrible when they finally release.

I did technically pre-order StarCraft Remastered, though. I bought it a few days before release. It was $15. I knew what the game was going to be like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

My newest console is the Nintendo Wii. So pre-orders other than for some niche titles (Tanglewood), its not really possible.

PC on the other hand is a completely different world. There you are buying a digital download. And from what I have seen in PC download games is that the market for them nearly always reaches $5.00 eventually. There are some publishers that resist this, but they are corner cases. I'd say well over 95% of all games eventually reach the $5 price point.

And $5 is actually the extreme end of what I am willing to pay for a PC game. That is when I want a particular title. Quite often I buy PC games 3 for a dollar or 6 for around 7/8 dollars on HB. And when you consider I have 60 games on GOG without giving them a penny, not to mention a lot of Steam, Uplay, Epic and Origin games I have gotten for free too...

The idea of paying $60 or more dollars is absurd to me. If there is a new video game I want I can easily live off my collection a couple years until the publisher drops the price to $5. And in the mean time it might wind up on a bundle or be given away for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, they may get more sales if the games came with minis laugh I'd say in the case of Nintendo, Amibos, but, they're already set there.

Only thing I can think of is pre-ordering through Google Play or iOS App Store. You order ahead, and you lock in the price (since devs have the option to raise it until you purchased it). Also, they seem to have better rules about delivering, vaporware, etc. For example, on iOS, your game has to be within 3 months out, and you needed to have shown them some "demo" for it to get to that status in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
The idea of paying $60 or more dollars is absurd to me. If there is a new video game I want I can easily live off my collection a couple years until the publisher drops the price to $5. And in the mean time it might wind up on a bundle or be given away for free.

I'm the same these days though I think this situation is only possible because enough people are paying full-price for the games when they first come out otherwise it wouldn't be sustainable. Here's hoping everyone doesn't start thinking like us!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Hmm, they may get more sales if the games came with minis laugh I'd say in the case of Nintendo, Amibos, but, they're already set there.

The games that relied on minis all seem to have gone away now - Disney Infinity, Skylanders, even that new one Starlink: Battle for Atlas went to sale prices super fast. I guess the Amiibos are different as they're not linked to a single game but are an extra collectible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Very rarely. I preordered LEGO Marvel Super Heroes 2 and Lego DC Super-Villains because they came with unique minifigs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't preorder games, with the occasional exception of Kickstarter. I will sometimes buy games that I'm excited about shortly after launch, but I always want to see the post-launch reviews first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.