Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Lord_Kristof wrote:
There's a small game called Spiritfarer that's got a really interesting premise but I'm not entirely sold on the gameplay the seem to be focusing on (gathering resources). https://thunderlotusgames.com/spiritfarer/

!!!

This looks perfect! I've been looking for a pure crafting, no combat game. I have enough games where I kill things. I want more where I make things. And ferrying spirits does seem to be a nice angle on this.

So thank you for mentioning this!
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles does this, but perhaps not as well as Minecraft Creative

Thank you, I'll have to look into that too!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Lord_Kristof wrote:
There's a small game called Spiritfarer that's got a really interesting premise but I'm not entirely sold on the gameplay the seem to be focusing on (gathering resources). https://thunderlotusgames.com/spiritfarer/

!!!

This looks perfect! I've been looking for a pure crafting, no combat game. I have enough games where I kill things. I want more where I make things. And ferrying spirits does seem to be a nice angle on this.

Ooh, I want that too. It reminds me of Graveyard Keeper in subject matter, except maybe this one will actually be a good game. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ooops
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Peristarkawan wrote:

Ooh, I want that too. It reminds me of Graveyard Keeper in subject matter, except maybe this one will actually be a good game. whistle[/q]

What's wrong with Graveyard Keeper? I've just started it and it looks fine, but I don't want to invest a lot of time to find out it ends up being terrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
I didn't get the chance to watch the Nintendo Direct today, but I think the most exciting news to me was that the Mana Collection is coming to the states. The digital version is available right now on the Switch store, but the physical version comes out August 28th for the collector's out there. It's the same price for either, $39.99. Amazon and Gamestop have it available for pre-order, and Walmart will have it too at some point.

Also interesting is Trials of Mana, previously the unreleased in NA Seiken Densetsu 3 is getting a full remake in the same style as Secret of Mana. However, they're revamping the battle system to be much better. It's almost like they heard the feedback about Secret of Mana and decided to do better. I'm super excited by this.
That's definitely the most exiting news I've heard!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sykurmoli wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
Ooh, I want that too. It reminds me of Graveyard Keeper in subject matter, except maybe this one will actually be a good game. whistle

What's wrong with Graveyard Keeper? I've just started it and it looks fine, but I don't want to invest a lot of time to find out it ends up being terrible.

I've not actually played it, just watched enough videos that I decided to steer clear. It seems pretty grindy overall, and the way the game is presented feels misleading. For one, the graveyard keeping seems like a very minor aspect of the game compared to everything else you do. For another example:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
NPCs in the game make frequent reference to the nearby Town, and it's heavily implied that you could go there. You can't. You can get a town pass to get past the guard to go there. It's a significant amount of work to acquire. You still can't go there. The game just kills you when you try.

A lot of people seem to think that the devs just cut the Town from the game in order to meet their release date. In the public Alpha version of the game, the guard just said "not available in Alpha" which was used in a lot of places to gate content. That added to the impression that the Town was meant to be visitable in the final release. From what I've seen, the explanation from the devs seems more likely, though, that the Town was never meant to be visitable, and that the idea of hyping up a Town you can't actually visit just seemed like a great joke to them.

shake

I'm sure it's still a very enjoyable game despite all that, but it rubs me the wrong way in a lot of places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
Sykurmoli wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:

I've not actually played it, just watched enough videos that I decided to steer clear. It seems pretty grindy overall, and the way the game is presented feels misleading. For one, the graveyard keeping seems like a very minor aspect of the game compared to everything else you do. For another example:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
NPCs in the game make frequent reference to the nearby Town, and it's heavily implied that you could go there. You can't. You can get a town pass to get past the guard to go there. It's a significant amount of work to acquire. You still can't go there. The game just kills you when you try.

A lot of people seem to think that the devs just cut the Town from the game in order to meet their release date. In the public Alpha version of the game, the guard just said "not available in Alpha" which was used in a lot of places to gate content. That added to the impression that the Town was meant to be visitable in the final release. From what I've seen, the explanation from the devs seems more likely, though, that the Town was never meant to be visitable, and that the idea of hyping up a Town you can't actually visit just seemed like a great joke to them.

shake

I'm sure it's still a very enjoyable game despite all that, but it rubs me the wrong way in a lot of places.

I hadn't heard of that, but there were other choices the devs made that turned me away.

I mean, normally it would be a game in my wheelhouse - play a morally ambiguous gravekeeper who deals with the death and goes questing? Sounds great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I edited my other post. I forgot to include Kirby in the list of characters and the release date for New Horizons. I didn't realize New Super Lucky's Take was in the Nintendo Direct. I was interested in Super Lucky's Tale, and I don't even own an Xbox One! It was a hit with GameXplain, and it was demonstrated at the Nintendo Treehouse. Sadly during that presentation, there were technical difficulties with the camera. This could be my favorite game of E3!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
Lurkfish wrote:
Game Pass Ultimate? My understanding of this is that right now for the princely sum of exactly $1 I can convert my remaining 10 months of XBL Gold to Game Pass Ultimate. This seems way too good a deal.

That's precisely what happens, I did it myself. It's an insane deal for those who have xboxes.

You only get one chance to convert, so if you're already buying XBL Gold, then you should add 2 years asap, then do the $1 conversion.

Took advantage of the E3 game pass ultimate deal. Added 2 years to my gold and then converted all three years to GPU for $1.
Crazy deal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also: no new Splinter Cell? Grrrr.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
GibbRS wrote:
I didn't get the chance to watch the Nintendo Direct today, but I think the most exciting news to me was that the Mana Collection is coming to the states. The digital version is available right now on the Switch store, but the physical version comes out August 28th for the collector's out there. It's the same price for either, $39.99. Amazon and Gamestop have it available for pre-order, and Walmart will have it too at some point.

Also interesting is Trials of Mana, previously the unreleased in NA Seiken Densetsu 3 is getting a full remake in the same style as Secret of Mana. However, they're revamping the battle system to be much better. It's almost like they heard the feedback about Secret of Mana and decided to do better. I'm super excited by this.
That's definitely the most exiting news I've heard!

+1 !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
Also: no new Splinter Cell? Grrrr.

I was thinking about the Splinter Cell series just recently and how there hasn't been a game in awhile. I think I only played the initial trilogy. Would be cool to see a more modern version of those games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two best Splinter Cell games are Chaos Theory and Blacklist.

If you never played Blacklist, it's a decent game that is following all the trends of that moment (Dishonored / Human Revolution / Hitman: Absolution / etc). But it also plays like the script to a season of '24' that someone left in a drawer for 10 years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

If you never played Blacklist, it's a decent game that is following all the trends of that moment (Dishonored / Human Revolution / Hitman: Absolution / etc). But it also plays like the script to a season of '24' that someone left in a drawer for 10 years.

Heresy I know, but I liked Conviction much better than Blacklist. Nothing against Blacklist, wasn't a revolutionary game or anything but it was a bunch of fun, mostly. Conviction seemed a bit more focused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lurkfish wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

Heresy I know, but I liked Conviction much better than Blacklist. Nothing against Blacklist, wasn't a revolutionary game or anything but it was a bunch of fun, mostly. Conviction seemed a bit more focused.

Whoops, I forgot all about Conviction. I never had a 360. I've played the original trilogy, Double Agent (which is awful) and Blacklist, but not Conviction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
You should really buy it!
badge
Friday, June 28 2019!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nintendo mega (Mario) fan here. I kinda hated the E3 this year. Mario Maker 2 wasn't an E3 announcement, so that doesn't count. But in terms of a huge Mario fan, the Direct was the worst I've ever seen. No SNES Online, no Super Mario 3D World port, no new Mario Kart (I think 9 will be on Switch), and Super Mario Odyssey doesn't get a sequel. All we had was Luigi's Mansion 3 and Mario & Sonic. Wasn't really impressed with either.

Sorry for the mini rant, but I'm actually hyped for Mario Maker 2 coming on the 28th.

Microsoft should really own up to the "update" that they made in 2017 about Minecraft. It's 2 YEARS LATER and there's absolutely no update on the Super Duper Graphics Pack (release date 2025, apparently). I love Minecraft, but the developers are on my nerves 24/7. They keep saying wrong release dates, and the updates are useless or awful. For example, they put "Bedrock Edition" on Switch, and the silly thing is not optimized at all.

No, didn't like this E3. I'm sure that's an unpopular opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Radiumus wrote:
Nintendo mega (Mario) fan here. I kinda hated the E3 this year. Mario Maker 2 wasn't an E3 announcement, so that doesn't count. But in terms of a huge Mario fan, the Direct was the worst I've ever seen. No SNES Online, no Super Mario 3D World port, no new Mario Kart (I think 9 will be on Switch)

Was any of that expected?

I make a point not to follow industry anticipation, and really only pop my head up during E3 because it bleeds into so many other corners of the internet. I heard about Keanu Reeves less than two hours after he was onstage, and I had zero interest in Microsoft's timeblock and no opinion on Cyberpunk 2077 other than "I'll see how it reviews whenever it comes out."

Anyway, I have the SNES mini, and it never occurred to me that Nintendo would update it with online functionality. Or that Mario Odyssey would have a sequel in the works - in my mind it's almost brand new.

On the other hand I suppose it has been 5 years since the last Mario Kart.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Friday, June 28 2019!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Radiumus wrote:
Nintendo mega (Mario) fan here. I kinda hated the E3 this year. Mario Maker 2 wasn't an E3 announcement, so that doesn't count. But in terms of a huge Mario fan, the Direct was the worst I've ever seen. No SNES Online, no Super Mario 3D World port, no new Mario Kart (I think 9 will be on Switch)

Was any of that expected?

I make a point not to follow industry anticipation, and really only pop my head up during E3 because it bleeds into so many other corners of the internet. I heard about Keanu Reeves less than two hours after he was onstage, and I had zero interest in Microsoft's timeblock and no opinion on Cyberpunk 2077 other than "I'll see how it reviews whenever it comes out."

Anyway, I have the SNES mini, and it never occurred to me that Nintendo would update it with online functionality. Or that Mario Odyssey would have a sequel in the works - in my mind it's almost brand new.

On the other hand I suppose it has been 5 years since the last Mario Kart.

Short answer: Yes, eventually.

With the exception of SNES Online, I think the Switch will get another Mario Kart and there will be another 3D Mario on the system. Look at Mario Galaxy 1 & 2. As for Mario Kart, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is literally just a Wii U port so I think that warrants another title. I really believe Mario will get a sequel since BOTW is getting a sequel. Odyssey just sold more. I honestly don't expect to get SNES at this point since it's been so long. Hopes are hopes...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparently the reason Animal Crossing New Horizons was delayed because they want their staff to have a healthy number of work hours in the day. I just thought how ironic that is because Animal Crossing is a game series in which you spend insane hours grinding for what you need/want.

Anyway, that's probably why there is a lack of new Nintendo titles, or even ports, especially this spring. I respect that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Friday, June 28 2019!
mbmbmbmbmb
TCG Kirby wrote:
Apparently the reason Animal Crossing New Horizons was delayed because they want their staff to have a healthy number of work hours in the day. I just thought how ironic that is because Animal Crossing is a game series in which you spend insane hours grinding for what you need/want.

Anyway, that's probably why there is a lack of new Nintendo titles, or even ports, especially this spring. I respect that.

I literally have no idea why, but I've never played an Animal Crossing game, nor had the urge to buy it. I'd like to play it some day, but I'd like to try before I buy (same goes for Labo). I really like the fact they are letting their employees not be in a rush. Rushing games out the door made Mario Kart 7 awful. Lack of good characters and options.

I just wish EA would quit ignoring Nintendo and give us Madden. Power is not the issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Radiumus wrote:
TCG Kirby wrote:

I literally have no idea why, but I've never played an Animal Crossing game, nor had the urge to buy it. I'd like to play it some day, but I'd like to try before I buy (same goes for Labo). I really like the fact they are letting their employees not be in a rush. Rushing games out the door made Mario Kart 7 awful. Lack of good characters and options.

I just wish EA would quit ignoring Nintendo and give us Madden. Power is not the issue.
I had Animal Crossing: City Folk on the Wii, and played a few hours, but saw absolutely no appeal in it. Apparently it is bit better if played socially/online, but I'm not sure how that works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Radiumus wrote:
TCG Kirby wrote:

I had Animal Crossing: City Folk on the Wii, and played a few hours, but saw absolutely no appeal in it. Apparently it is bit better if played socially/online, but I'm not sure how that works.

I played a little bit of Animal Crossing: New Leaf on my 2DS. It’s the only game in the series I’ve played. There are things I like about it, for sure; the characters, art style, and general vibe of the game are all quintessential Nintendo. Unfortunately, I just never liked how much impact real world passage of time has on the experience. And since that’s a pretty huge part of how the game plays, I never got very far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:

I played a little bit of Animal Crossing: New Leaf on my 2DS. It’s the only game in the series I’ve played. There are things I like about it, for sure; the characters, art style, and general vibe of the game are all quintessential Nintendo. Unfortunately, I just never liked how much impact real world passage of time has on the experience. And since that’s a pretty huge part of how the game plays, I never got very far.

Animal Crossing Superfan Has Maintained His GameCube Town For 17 Years
https://kotaku.com/animal-crossing-superfan-has-maintained-h...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
ghostpants wrote:

Animal Crossing Superfan Has Maintained His GameCube Town For 17 Years
https://kotaku.com/animal-crossing-superfan-has-maintained-h...

D E D I C A T I O N

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.