Subject: Level Up Spots rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
In the original Final Fantasy there was a spot in the game where lower-level parties can go to level up without advancing the storyline. What are examples like this are in other games? There may be ton. Please list as many as you possibly know which are examples of level-up spots. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Final Fantasy IV there's an enemy in the Giant of Babil called Searcher. They're great experience for grinding because when you hit them they summon other enemies to kill. But importantly, they also frequently drop an item called the Siren, which can be used on the map to immediately start a battle with the rarest enemy group in your current location.

Now fast forward to the Lunar Subterrane. There's a small room here which is the only place in the game where an enemy called the Princess Flan can be found. When you get into a battle here it only has a 1/64 chance of showing up, but if you use a Siren you'll get a Princess Flan every time.

The Princess Flan has a 1/64 chance of dropping a Pink Tail, which can be traded for Adamant Armor, the best armor in the game. So phase 2 of grinding for levels is to sit here using up your supply of Sirens to kill Princess Flan and hopefully score a Pink Tail or five in the process.

In the 3D remake you can skip the first part because it's possible to just buy Sirens at 3000 gil a pop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Final Fantasy XII there are a handful of great leveling spots. I'm a bit fuzzy on some of the later ones, but 30 minutes into the game, you can take Vaan (by himself) outside of the city, and spawn a rare high-level undead monster by manipulating Vaan's HP (the monster is programmed to spawn if you are in "critical" condition which means lower than 20% of your HP).

Because it's an undead monster, you can instant-kill it by using a phoenix down. Item-use is categorically faster than anything else in the game, so you're not in any real danger.

Doing this one time takes Vaan from level 1 to level 6. Every other character in the game joins the party at or above Vaan's level, so you're actually getting 6 times more experience. You can do it a bunch more if you feel like it, but just doing it once is a solid boost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing unlimited 1-ups are not related?

Either way, Final Fantasy 6 had a desert region where a random encounter of killing a monster got you mucho XP. You could even use Edgar's anchor tool to "easy kill" it. Next move that monster makes.. it dies. The catch is, it has some powerful attack, or special move that really packs a wallop, so before it dies, it really does solid damage. Perhaps even killing you. At best, you'd need to do a bit of healing curing for your next encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
I make my own level up spots.

Right outside town. The nearest dungeon. The place with the toughest monsters I could reach. The place with monsters that give a lot of gold, or have a small chance of dropping a powerful piece of equipment.

I'm not picky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Disgaea games using leveling up as a selling point for the games. The characters can get to level 9999, but they can also reincarnate back to level 1, retaining a lot of their original stats, then level back up to 9999 again multiple times.

To help with that, the games have several specific power leveling stages built into them, including 1 with a 3 by 3 grid of high experience enemies sitting on bonus XP geo panels.

A lot of people think the Disgaea games are just a bunch of grinding, but it's very optional to partake in the power leveling and getting to high levels to tackle the post game (pre-final boss in some cases) content.

Just getting through the main storylines requires minimal grinding/side leveling to complete.

In Final Fantasy Tactics, the player is able to level up by running back and forth through already completed stages, to trigger a random battle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind having a bit of glitch where if you were leaving a dungeon you had cleared you could stop in the doorway then walk back in and it would be repopulated again with monsters and loot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to recall something in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim where you can just do alchemy over and over and level up crazy fast, though that may have been fixed in a patch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
I seem to recall something in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim where you can just do alchemy over and over and level up crazy fast, though that may have been fixed in a patch.

Morrowind had something related to that - you could stack potions, so you make a potion to increase your alchemy temporarily, then drink it, increasing your skill to a crazy degree, make another potion, etc... until your skill was in the thousands, and then any potion you made would last for hours upon hours. It was great for making potions of flight - much safer than the transport spell!

But the skill itself was only temporarily boosted. It wasn't a way to level up faster, just make vastly more powerful potions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I'm guessing unlimited 1-ups are not related?

Either way, Final Fantasy 6 had a desert region where a random encounter of killing a monster got you mucho XP. You could even use Edgar's anchor tool to "easy kill" it. Next move that monster makes.. it dies. The catch is, it has some powerful attack, or special move that really packs a wallop, so before it dies, it really does solid damage. Perhaps even killing you. At best, you'd need to do a bit of healing curing for your next encounter.

Ah, the classic Final Fantasy cactuar desert.

The major ways to get ahead in FF6 don't have much to do with leveling & experience, though. As far as the World of Ruin, the Dinosaur Forest would be the fastest for late-game leveling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:

I don't think they ever patched out all of it - I was doing some convoluted and hilarious alchemy stuff a couple of years after the game came out.

From what I remember, leveling alchemy itself (and getting the incidental character levels) wasn't the real goal. I think the idea was to get a potion that boosted smithing to an insane degree and forge equipment with otherwise unobtainable stats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
The major ways to get ahead in FF6 don't have much to do with leveling & experience

True for a lot of Final Fantasy games. The more important thing is the secondary attribute like your job, or your materia or your GF.

In fact in FF8 leveling up is detrimental to your success.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:

A lot of people think the Disgaea games are just a bunch of grinding

Honestly it's mostly a case where the two sides aren't even speaking the same language.

Fundamentally, Disgaea is about open-ended party building, character advancement, equipment configuration, etc.

Some people can't untangle that from the idea of a 'grind.' Originally, "grinding" had a rather narrow meaning: repetitively and mindlessly defeating standard enemies over and over because you couldn't defeat a boss without some raw stats from a level-up. Grinding meant the opposite of thoughtful play. It meant brute force over strategy. Rather than figure out what to do, grinding was basically failure-proofing the game: I can't lose at critical moments because I sat around 'grinding' for however long.

That's why the term came into existence. But, I've noticed over the years that for some people, "grinding" seems to mean "any time I have to think about building up my party." That's super weird to me, but it certainly explains why the word is applied to Disgaea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hear some of my (mediocre) music on my profile!
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
ghostpants wrote:

I don't think they ever patched out all of it - I was doing some convoluted and hilarious alchemy stuff a couple of years after the game came out.

From what I remember, leveling alchemy itself (and getting the incidental character levels) wasn't the real goal. I think the idea was to get a potion that boosted smithing to an insane degree and forge equipment with otherwise unobtainable stats.

You're right, that was it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In Wanderers From Ys (SNES), pressing and holding the up and attack/Y button has you continuously up thrust attack with your sword. There was one area where you stand in a specific spot where flying enemies would come close enough to be within range of your attacks, but not close enough to come in contact with you. The come at you in unlimited waves. Check back in an hour or 3, and you'll reach max level. To facilitate this, you could stick toothpicks into the button and up direction of the cross-directional to have it depressed without you being around. Or use some rubberband systems. You can then walk away and do other stuff while that's going on (perhaps play a new game )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
In Wanderers From Ys (SNES), pressing and holding the up and attack/Y button has you continuously up thrust attack with your sword. There was one area where you stand in a specific spot where flying enemies would come close enough to be within range of your attacks, but not close enough to come in contact with you. The come at you in unlimited waves. Check back in an hour or 3, and you'll reach max level. To facilitate this, you could stick toothpicks into the button and up direction of the cross-directional to have it depressed without you being around. Or use some rubberband systems. You can then walk away and do other stuff while that's going on (perhaps play a new game )

There was a similar exploit early in Final Fantasy VI. During the rafting sequence when the party is escaping from the Returners' Hideout, there are several points where you have to choose to take a left or right fork. If you go the wrong way, you end up going around in a loop (because this is totally how real rivers work). The cursor has memory so you can set it up to just keep going around in the loop automatically. Additionally, you can set up the game to remember each character's battle commands. So you set Edgar to Autocrossbow, Terra and Sabin to just Fight, and critically, set Banon to use "Health", which is free healing for the whole party so that there is no risk of actually dying. Then you tape down the A button and walk away for a few hours to come back to a party now 20-30 levels higher than before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.