Card Crawl
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
39 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: VGG QOTD 2019 June 12 - What video game controller is your favorite? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
What video game controller is your favorite? What do you like about it?

Anything that allows you to control a video game is in play, from racing wheels to mouse and keyboard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Castellani
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Donkey Kong Bongos.

For no other reason than novelty. That and trying to play any other game with them, and seeing how amusing and terrible it was at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I always like controllers giving more control.
currently my hands game on
logitech g13 game pad
logitech g600 mmo mouse

The snes controller gives a wide aray of buttons without being overwhelming. I liked the gamecubes dynamic triggers even though I can't even remember which game made full use of it. My mind was blown when we started clicking joysticks on the regular.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
The Sega Dreamcast controller with the VMU. The only problem is that the VMUs ran through batteries too quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ooops
Belgium
flag msg tools
mb
Most functional: Xbox 360/One controller (non-elite)

Most aesthetically pleasing to my eyes: NES
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Overall, nothing beats the mouse+keyboard combination. Even the best handheld controllers out there can't touch the speed, precision, and intuitive nature of a good mouse, and the keyboard gives you quick access to more buttons than any game should ever need.

For consoles, I really like the controller+nunchuck setup on the Wii, specifically how there's a cord connecting them instead of the rigid frame of the controller itself. It's more comfortable to use for an extended length of time than being forced to hold your hands in that very specific position in front of you. Added bonuses are only needing to use one hand for the motion control/pointer stuff, and being able to easily swap side-to-side for people who might prefer pointing and/or using the thumb stick with their opposite hand.

As classic controllers go, I always liked the weird one for the N64. They tried to do a little too much with it, but once you got over the fact that you'd never be able to use more than 2/3 of it at any given time, it worked remarkably well, and was pretty comfortable to use too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, I love the versatility of a keyboard. I really like games where I can have both hands on a keyboard.

A keyboard and mouse is OK, but not ideal. Mouse alone is alright, but is trumped by tapping a touchscreen in most cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My keyboard laugh

I can play music on it, and also use it as a controller with the PlayStation 3 Rock Band 3 MIDI PRO - Adapter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
My keyboard laugh

I can play music on it, and also use it as a controller with the PlayStation 3 Rock Band 3 MIDI PRO - Adapter

If that's on the table, then my favourite controller is my short-scale bass connected to my PC with the Rocksmith cable. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Mouse alone is alright, but is trumped by tapping a touchscreen in most cases.

WOAH, didn't see that one coming!
I can not get over having to get my hand in the way of my view to interact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"This is no time to be making new enemies." --Voltaire
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Honestly, I love the versatility of a keyboard. I really like games where I can have both hands on a keyboard.

A keyboard and mouse is OK, but not ideal. Mouse alone is alright, but is trumped by tapping a touchscreen in most cases.

Keyboard is fine with me too, but I don't use touchscreens unless I have to. When my last mouse went bad on me, I got used to using the touchpad on my laptop, and I'm still relying on that. It's still kind of a novelty to me too, as for many years I ignored the touchpad completely, assuming it was just a poor substitute for a mouse. Now it seems more like an improvement.

I almost never need a proper game controller, since about all I ever play are TBS games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite controller is the MindOrb 5xD-2. Unfortunately, perhaps because the only game I've ever seen with the configuration option for them is Cthulhu Saves the World, they're not popular enough yet to be available in this country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Mouse alone is alright, but is trumped by tapping a touchscreen in most cases.

WOAH, didn't see that one coming!
I can not get over having to get my hand in the way of my view to interact.

I have broken mice from having to click fast and often on them... I've yet to break my hand tapping a touchscreen for the same activity. In terms of response speed, cutting out a mouse ups my time greatly (in games where that matters).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
I have broken mice from having to click fast and often on them... I've yet to break my hand

I feel like I should be reading that on a badass looking gaming shirt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Duke original X-Box controller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
I have broken mice from having to click fast and often on them... I've yet to break my hand

I feel like I should be reading that on a badass looking gaming shirt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Guitar Hero guitar controller is my favourite non-standard gizmo-type way to navigate a game.

Other than that I'll have the keyboard and mouse 9 times out of 10, thank you very much.

And the 10% is the Xbox Pad.

paralipsis wrote:

If that's on the table, then my favourite controller is my short-scale bass connected to my PC with the Rocksmith cable. cool

Yay for bass!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like several controllers for different purposes. Mouse and keyboard are pretty consistently great for anything requiring accuracy and quick movement, but my favorite always comes back to the DualShock 4. I think it's more of a psychological thing versus any quality in the controller itself. It feels like "home" to me in that I've spent so many hours using DualShock controllers over the past 20+ years, it's what I associate most with gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Wii U pro controlller. Very comfortable. No tiny buttons that are hard to press.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't tried all the controllers so I can't say if I'm missing out on anything, but the XB360 controller was a thing of beauty. It is very comfortable and despite me being a Sony mainstay for years the 360 had the PS3 beat controller-wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xbox One Elite Controller. I'm a controller guy, not a mouse and keyboard guy. The Elite controller is wonderful.

Is it $150 wonderful? Um... well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Brown
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MeteorBear wrote:
The Duke original X-Box controller.

I will admit I liked the Duke a lot. Along with the Dreamcast controller which my circle called the Romulan Warbird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If money was no object, then I'd have a feeling I'd really dig the $100 USD Microsoft controller they had on display at a Game Stop a couple years back (for Xbox, but I'm assuming it's plug and play with PC as well). It had some magnetic attachment for the cross-key joystick that felt really good to use. Also, if it's that expensive, it oughtta be (read: better be) plug and play with good support.

For now, I'm going to say the SNES controller. $20 MSRP. However, that was in 1991, which is roughly $37.6 in today's money. Yes, the Wii-mote, and fancy controllers have analog sticks, touch pads, and are wireless, but they set you back $50 a pop

paralipsis wrote:
flaeryn wrote:
My keyboard laugh

Why stop there? We can start using our pet monkey/cat/dog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
You should really buy it!
badge
Friday, June 28 2019!
mbmbmbmbmb
Nintendo Switch Pro Controller. Lasts 40 hours on a charge. Plus it's insanely comfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only fan of the classic DualShock? Maybe it's because I have so much nostalgia for the PlayStation and PS2, but I've always loved the feel of the DualShock, specifically the DualShock 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.