The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Scythe: Digital Edition
One Deck Dungeon
Mystic Vale
Suikoden II
World of Tanks
NieR: Automata
God of War (2018)
Artifact
Ganz Schön Clever
Rex: Another Island
Treasure Hunter Claire
Master of Orion
Mass Effect
Secret of Mana (1993)
Assassin's Creed
Chrono Trigger
Drakengard
Final Fantasy Tactics
Company of Heroes
Angband
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Turtles in Time
Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins
[PROTOTYPE]
Interstate '76
Elemental Gearbolt
Age of Wonders
War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition
Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished
Minecraft
Xenoblade Chronicles
Windosill
Realm of the Mad God
Tales of Maj'Eyal: Age of Ascendancy
The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited
Splice
Spaceteam
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
Tomb Raider (2013)
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
Mario Kart 8
Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
Lost Civilization
Rise of the Tomb Raider
LittleBIGPlanet 3
Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 5
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice
Song of the Myrne: What Lies Beneath
Shower With Your Dad Simulator 2015
Card Crawl
Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: Super Mario Maker 2 hype thread! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
You should really buy it!
badge
Friday, June 28 2019!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Who's hyped for Mario Maker 2? This thread is for the hype factor of it. 16 days in the countdown! What's everyone's favorite thing about it?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Radiumus wrote:
Who's hyped for Mario Maker 2? This thread is for the hype factor of it. 16 days in the countdown! What's everyone's favorite thing about it?
Not really. I'll get into if the opportunity presents itself. Most I'll do on my own is catch a few YouTube videos of it. Otherwise, I don't own a Switch, so I'll only get more into it if a friend who does own a Switch gets, and we can see it in person.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I never played the original, but the concept was like a dream come true. I'm definitely going to check out this one. I spent hours watching people play some incredibly creative and challenging levels from the first game on YouTube.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Dragon Quest Builders 2 hype hype!

Oops, sorry, wrong thread.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When games like Mario Maker, Little Big Planet, Minecraft, Dragon Quest Builders, Lego Worlds, Dreams, and others appear, I think "wow these are amazing, I want to create cool stuff." Then I play around with the creation tools for maybe an hour, realize I have neither the drive nor the talent to make anything neat, and stick to either playing other people's content or giving up on the game altogether.

5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My boys watched the video listing all the features and weren't impressed, until the second half where it showed all the new stuff, especially the 2-player aspect. Having only one person able to play at a time really limited the original for them.

I'm sure they'll be getting it.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
[...] I think "wow these are amazing, I want to create cool stuff." Then I play around with the creation tools for maybe an hour, realize I have neither the drive nor the talent to make anything neat, and stick to either playing other people's content [...]


I fully expect this will be my experience as well, but I'm crossing my fingers that I can come up with something decent. I used to dream about making my own levels as a kid. Now it's time to see if they would have been any good.

I think I'll still enjoy the game even I suck at the creation process. If people come up with anything half as creative as what I've seen in the past, it should be a blast, especially with multiplayer an option now.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
You should really buy it!
badge
Friday, June 28 2019!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If you get the $70 version you get Nintendo Switch Online for a year. That will allow you to download levels if you aren't that good at building levels. In my experience, my levels were good when I had good ideas. I liked to make "impossible" levels on the 3DS version. I think there's something for everyone in this game. I am solely only worried about the controls because the Switch doesn't have a stylus and journalists said that they liked it better with a stylus. Too bad the pre-order bonus in America doesn't give you a stylus like it does in Europe and Japan.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, no stylus kind of stinks. I imagine it would be a lot easier to move things around with one.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
When games like Mario Maker, Little Big Planet, Minecraft, Dragon Quest Builders, Lego Worlds, Dreams, and others appear, I think "wow these are amazing, I want to create cool stuff." Then I play around with the creation tools for maybe an hour, realize I have neither the drive nor the talent to make anything neat, and stick to either playing other people's content or giving up on the game altogether.

It's pretty much a "whole different game", so I can see that. I've gotten quite a few of those myself... "you're really into the hobby (for both vg, and bg). You should develop/design your own games!". They weren't being facetious. They knew I've been playing for a long time, and understood a lot about how games worked from a user perspective. However, I knew those would be a tall order.

Radiumus wrote:
If you get the $70 version you get Nintendo Switch Online for a year. That will allow you to download levels if you aren't that good at building levels. In my experience, my levels were good when I had good ideas. I liked to make "impossible" levels on the 3DS version. I think there's something for everyone in this game. I am solely only worried about the controls because the Switch doesn't have a stylus and journalists said that they liked it better with a stylus. Too bad the pre-order bonus in America doesn't give you a stylus like it does in Europe and Japan.
Could you buy the stylus separately? Either way, I'm sure some 3rd party one would manifest itself?

MIDEDIT: Just looked up that unlike the Wii U's screen which is resistive, Switch is capacitive, so it would require a better stylus. 1st party is ideal. I haven't had as nice experiences with 3rd party ones, at least for phones and tablets.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Radiumus wrote:
If you get the $70 version you get Nintendo Switch Online for a year. That will allow you to download levels if you aren't that good at building levels. In my experience, my levels were good when I had good ideas. I liked to make "impossible" levels on the 3DS version. I think there's something for everyone in this game. I am solely only worried about the controls because the Switch doesn't have a stylus and journalists said that they liked it better with a stylus. Too bad the pre-order bonus in America doesn't give you a stylus like it does in Europe and Japan.


Also of note, if you have Amazon Prime, you can get a free year of Nintendo Online by connecting it to Twitch Prime. I had already bought a year of Nintendo Online, but I was able to add another year to it for free through the Twitch deal.
2 
 Thumb up
0.01
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
You should really buy it!
badge
Friday, June 28 2019!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
GibbRS wrote:
When games like Mario Maker, Little Big Planet, Minecraft, Dragon Quest Builders, Lego Worlds, Dreams, and others appear, I think "wow these are amazing, I want to create cool stuff." Then I play around with the creation tools for maybe an hour, realize I have neither the drive nor the talent to make anything neat, and stick to either playing other people's content or giving up on the game altogether.

It's pretty much a "whole different game", so I can see that. I've gotten quite a few of those myself... "you're really into the hobby (for both vg, and bg). You should develop/design your own games!". They weren't being facetious. They knew I've been playing for a long time, and understood a lot about how games worked from a user perspective. However, I knew those would be a tall order.

Radiumus wrote:
If you get the $70 version you get Nintendo Switch Online for a year. That will allow you to download levels if you aren't that good at building levels. In my experience, my levels were good when I had good ideas. I liked to make "impossible" levels on the 3DS version. I think there's something for everyone in this game. I am solely only worried about the controls because the Switch doesn't have a stylus and journalists said that they liked it better with a stylus. Too bad the pre-order bonus in America doesn't give you a stylus like it does in Europe and Japan.
Could you buy the stylus separately? Either way, I'm sure some 3rd party one would manifest itself?

MIDEDIT: Just looked up that unlike the Wii U's screen which is resistive, Switch is capacitive, so it would require a better stylus. 1st party is ideal. I haven't had as nice experiences with 3rd party ones, at least for phones and tablets.


From a quick Google, I don't see anything, but there may be. I'll probably be buying the game on day 1 so I might report back here how good the game is without one. Nintendo is known for optimization, so there should be at least some polish when it comes from the shift from resistive to capacitive. I'm sure VG journalists will cover this topic, so you can look there. I wouldn't buy just any stylus without a recommendation. I personally have a tempered glass screen protector on my Switch so that could be a issue if the game doesn't work well without a stylus.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
When I heard about it in the February Direct, I was super-excited. But then when I found out that there was no amiibo functionality and no Mystery Mushroom Costumes, I was less enthusiastic about it. I do like that you can filter courses by difficulty. The ones I make would be super-easy, based on Kirby levels and DOS game levels.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
You should really buy it!
badge
Friday, June 28 2019!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TCG Kirby wrote:
When I heard about it in the February Direct, I was super-excited. But then when I found out that there was no amiibo functionality and no Mystery Mushroom Costumes, I was less enthusiastic about it. I do like that you can filter courses by difficulty. The ones I make would be super-easy, based on Kirby levels and DOS game levels.


I have the 3DS edition so I'm used to not having that. Plus I don't have any Amiibo whatsoever. I was a little surprised they didn't include that since lots of people liked that.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
When games like Mario Maker, Little Big Planet, Minecraft, Dragon Quest Builders, Lego Worlds, Dreams, and others appear, I think "wow these are amazing, I want to create cool stuff." Then I play around with the creation tools for maybe an hour, realize I have neither the drive nor the talent to make anything neat, and stick to either playing other people's content or giving up on the game altogether.



I feel the same way about a lot of these games. To make something really cool it becomes work, then I think if Im going to put this much effort into something it should be with one of my real life projects. Would have been great to have as a kid though!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MeteorBear wrote:
GibbRS wrote:
When games like Mario Maker, Little Big Planet, Minecraft, Dragon Quest Builders, Lego Worlds, Dreams, and others appear, I think "wow these are amazing, I want to create cool stuff." Then I play around with the creation tools for maybe an hour, realize I have neither the drive nor the talent to make anything neat, and stick to either playing other people's content or giving up on the game altogether.



I feel the same way about a lot of these games. To make something really cool it becomes work, then I think if Im going to put this much effort into something it should be with one of my real life projects. Would have been great to have as a kid though!


Eh... thy will be done...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2220479/games-level-editors
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
snoresnore

Can't see much reason to be excited really but then I'm not much of a Mario fan at all. For the OP's sake, though, I'm hoping it is great.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
You should really buy it!
badge
Friday, June 28 2019!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Radiumus wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
GibbRS wrote:
When games like Mario Maker, Little Big Planet, Minecraft, Dragon Quest Builders, Lego Worlds, Dreams, and others appear, I think "wow these are amazing, I want to create cool stuff." Then I play around with the creation tools for maybe an hour, realize I have neither the drive nor the talent to make anything neat, and stick to either playing other people's content or giving up on the game altogether.

It's pretty much a "whole different game", so I can see that. I've gotten quite a few of those myself... "you're really into the hobby (for both vg, and bg). You should develop/design your own games!". They weren't being facetious. They knew I've been playing for a long time, and understood a lot about how games worked from a user perspective. However, I knew those would be a tall order.

Radiumus wrote:
If you get the $70 version you get Nintendo Switch Online for a year. That will allow you to download levels if you aren't that good at building levels. In my experience, my levels were good when I had good ideas. I liked to make "impossible" levels on the 3DS version. I think there's something for everyone in this game. I am solely only worried about the controls because the Switch doesn't have a stylus and journalists said that they liked it better with a stylus. Too bad the pre-order bonus in America doesn't give you a stylus like it does in Europe and Japan.
Could you buy the stylus separately? Either way, I'm sure some 3rd party one would manifest itself?

MIDEDIT: Just looked up that unlike the Wii U's screen which is resistive, Switch is capacitive, so it would require a better stylus. 1st party is ideal. I haven't had as nice experiences with 3rd party ones, at least for phones and tablets.


From a quick Google, I don't see anything, but there may be. I'll probably be buying the game on day 1 so I might report back here how good the game is without one. Nintendo is known for optimization, so there should be at least some polish when it comes from the shift from resistive to capacitive. I'm sure VG journalists will cover this topic, so you can look there. I wouldn't buy just any stylus without a recommendation. I personally have a tempered glass screen protector on my Switch so that could be a issue if the game doesn't work well without a stylus.


Well, oof. The Switch blocks you from using the Joy-Con in handheld mode (according to some articles I read). Looks like I'll be picking up a stylus most likely. This won't deter me from the game, though as everyone who has played it pre-release seems to love it. Wouldn't be surprised if this gets 9/10 or 10/10 from reviewers across the board. I imagine finding a stylus wouldn't be hard or expensive at all.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Radiumus wrote:
Radiumus wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
GibbRS wrote:
When games like Mario Maker, Little Big Planet, Minecraft, Dragon Quest Builders, Lego Worlds, Dreams, and others appear, I think "wow these are amazing, I want to create cool stuff." Then I play around with the creation tools for maybe an hour, realize I have neither the drive nor the talent to make anything neat, and stick to either playing other people's content or giving up on the game altogether.

It's pretty much a "whole different game", so I can see that. I've gotten quite a few of those myself... "you're really into the hobby (for both vg, and bg). You should develop/design your own games!". They weren't being facetious. They knew I've been playing for a long time, and understood a lot about how games worked from a user perspective. However, I knew those would be a tall order.

Radiumus wrote:
If you get the $70 version you get Nintendo Switch Online for a year. That will allow you to download levels if you aren't that good at building levels. In my experience, my levels were good when I had good ideas. I liked to make "impossible" levels on the 3DS version. I think there's something for everyone in this game. I am solely only worried about the controls because the Switch doesn't have a stylus and journalists said that they liked it better with a stylus. Too bad the pre-order bonus in America doesn't give you a stylus like it does in Europe and Japan.
Could you buy the stylus separately? Either way, I'm sure some 3rd party one would manifest itself?

MIDEDIT: Just looked up that unlike the Wii U's screen which is resistive, Switch is capacitive, so it would require a better stylus. 1st party is ideal. I haven't had as nice experiences with 3rd party ones, at least for phones and tablets.


From a quick Google, I don't see anything, but there may be. I'll probably be buying the game on day 1 so I might report back here how good the game is without one. Nintendo is known for optimization, so there should be at least some polish when it comes from the shift from resistive to capacitive. I'm sure VG journalists will cover this topic, so you can look there. I wouldn't buy just any stylus without a recommendation. I personally have a tempered glass screen protector on my Switch so that could be a issue if the game doesn't work well without a stylus.


Well, oof. The Switch blocks you from using the Joy-Con in handheld mode (according to some articles I read). Looks like I'll be picking up a stylus most likely. This won't deter me from the game, though as everyone who has played it pre-release seems to love it. Wouldn't be surprised if this gets 9/10 or 10/10 from reviewers across the board. I imagine finding a stylus wouldn't be hard or expensive at all.

There's an option here to get a stylus with the game if you pre-order though I had just assumed it was a standard stylus with Mario Maker branding. Strange it's not available in the US.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Huh... SMM2 will have a story mode (Peach's castle got blown up or something wow ), slopes (as in the terrain), and 4p simultaneous play. I AM intrigued! meeple

If the "Nintendo nuts" in my group won't buy it, I'm tempted to gift this for them just so we can try it out!


And yeah, the internet and news circuits bring up that for the love of ease of play, get an appropriates stylus!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.