Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
Here it is ladies and gentlemen! The day you have all been waiting for! The announcement of the two-hundred-and-seventeenth Geek of the Week! Behold the next reining geek for the next three weeks...

Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Matt contributes lots of video reviews to VGG, and is way more current on what's happening in the video game market that this old guy. (He has to be, right?) So let's ask him a lot of questions!

Quote:

Oh, gee... geek of the week for VGG? Wow.

Ah so it was my birthday on Friday. I'm treasurer of a board game cub here in Melbourne and organise MeepleCon.

But VGG.... I started out with those single game consoles as a kid and it was a while before our family got a PC or a cartridge based console, so much of my gaming was done at friends houses. One friend had a Colecovision and another had an Atari and it was very clear that the Coleco was much better. We played Mouse Trap to death.

The first console I got with my own money was a wood grain Atari 2600 that I bought from a friend who had upgraded to something else (possible the NES?). Quickly followed by a second had Gameboy where I got addicted to Tetris and an XT (where I got addicted to a Tetris clone called Nyet).

From there My dad bought me and my brother a NES when my parents seperated and I've picked up every Nintendo console after that. I still recall the day I got a copy of Ocarina of Time and just sat down and played it for hours and only stopped when I got frustrated in the village and attacked a chicken too much.... I was so tired and it so freaked me out

Before we were even dating my wife and I attended the Wii launch night in different parts of the city and were talking on the phone. I went to the store in the centre of Melbourne while she was at a store on the outskirts and I was rather annoyed that she got hers first as there was only five people at that store.

Sorry, got distracted. So we're a gamer family and tend to pick up every console that comes out (and yes we have an Ouya). And we play plenty of games with our 7 year old daughter, who is very into Just Dance, the LABO kits, the LEGO games and pretty much anything on the Switch.

- What is the worst game you ever played (and why)?
I've thought long and hard about this, but can't think of anything worse than ET... oh I fell in a hole, let's spend the next 20 minutes trying to get out.

I think nowadays bad games are pretty forgettable as there's so many great games to focus on.

- What is your favourite video game-related memory?
I've written about playing Rock Band at my wedding, but let's say the first time I beat my dad as a kid at Pong and Space Invaders. Upon reflection I'm not sure that he was trying very hard, but it was still a good feeling.

- How long was your longest single VG-playing-session ever (and what game(s))?
Mmmm... I guess this would be SimCity 2000 which was about three days. Basically running it all through the nights while I slept and then seeing how it went in the morning.

But for pure active play, that'd be playing on the Discworld (MUD), which was probably a full day. Very easy to get sucked into the world, especially when there are so many things to discover and so many great people.

Or maybe it was the LAN Party we had at my friend's house (who lived a few doors down from my High School) on the day before my final High School exam. We played for about 24 hours hopped up on soft drinks and played Doom (1993), Quake, Star Wars: X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter. Stopped about 20 minutes before my exam. Did pretty good on the exam, but I was super on edge.

- What is your current platform of choice?
I'm one of those that says "when's it coming to Switch". But I'm also one of those people that will buy a game twice if the Switch release is delayed and it's a game that has replayability.

- What are you playing now, and what will you be playing next?
I jump around a lot depending on mood. I'm playing Theme Hospital, Picross S3, Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker and Minecraft (with the daughter)
I recently finished Episode 1 of Season 2 of Life Is Strange. I'll be going back to Forza Horizon 4 as the just released the LEGO DLC.

- Do you use cheat codes?
Rarely. Have used them in Sim City to get stuff going at the start on occassion when I just wanted to quickly build out a city. But I do save scum in some games too much and in some emulated games will use the rewind feature liberally.

- What is your favorite contribution (of yours or of another user) to VGG (provide a link, if possible)?
Forbidding's 2016 Pillar of the Community Game List, just because 2,200 games submitted in a year is amazing. One day I'll get to 2,000 in total

Now, list your Top 5 Games of All Time. Give some thought to which of these games you would keep if it were the only game you could have the rest of your life. Throughout your week in the spotlight, your fellow VGGeeks must guess which game you will select (and perhaps they may even try to sway you throughout the week why you should select a particular game, or maybe even why your favorites all suck!) At the end of the week, (right before passing the torch to the next VGGotW and going back to your mundane life) post a final message revealing your selection and why.

1. Stardew Valley

2. SimCity 2000

3. Rock Band 3

4. Forza Horizon 4

5. Civilization V
Congratulations,Matt, and enjoy your time as Geek of the Week!

As always, for more information please visit the following:
https://videogamegeek.com/wiki/page/VGGeek_of_the_Week
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Nguyen
United States
Chantilly
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
6 out of 7 dwarves are not Happy
mbmbmb
Were you familiar with Terry Pratchett and Discworld before jumping into Discworld (MUD)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Matt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Matt! I'm also a big fan of the Switch, and I was delighted to see the number of titles that are on the way for it over the next year. Can't wait for Fire Emblem: Three Houses!

Here are a few questions to get us started:

1 Do you play an instrument? If so, what kind of music do you play (or like to listen to if you don't play an instrument)?
2 If you could erase your memory of one game and experience it for the first time again, which game would you pick?
3 Do you follow sports? Which ones? Any favorite teams?
4 What game(s) are you most looking forward to playing soon?
5 If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
6 If a movie was made based on your life, which actor would you want to portray you?

Enjoy your time as VGG GotW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Matt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Hook
United States
Lansing
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."
badge
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo. "So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Matt!
Hope you have a wizard of a week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
USP45 wrote:
Were you familiar with Terry Pratchett and Discworld before jumping into Discworld (MUD)?
Yep, I'd started reading the Discowlrd novels since primary school and jumped on the MUD at the end of High School.

My character was a wizard that joined the Venerable Council of Seers. I think I got up to level 5. I tended to do a little bit of RP and just blorpled around from place to place generally.

When I went adventuring I died. Got eaten by a croc in Tsort and beaten down by trolls in the foothils of the Ramtops. Went too far into L-space once and was concerned that I wouldn't get back out, but managed to somehow.

There's a nice Melbourne podcast on Pratchett's novels called Pratchat where they discuss a different novel each episode which is great for long time fans and those reading for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Congratulations, Matt! I'm also a big fan of the Switch, and I was delighted to see the number of titles that are on the way for it over the next year. Can't wait for Fire Emblem: Three Houses!

Here are a few questions to get us started:

1 Do you play an instrument? If so, what kind of music do you play (or like to listen to if you don't play an instrument)?
I was a bassist. In high school I played in a garage band with my mates, mostly playing covers of songs that were popular at the time and in the high school band playing songs that weren't so popular at the time.

I still crack out the bass and try and learn a few songs in Rocksmith, but i just enjoy the gaminess of Rock Band.

ghostpants wrote:
2 If you could erase your memory of one game and experience it for the first time again, which game would you pick?
I think it'd be great to forget about Super Mario World. Finding all the little tricks and secrets in that game was so much fun the first time round.

ghostpants wrote:
3 Do you follow sports? Which ones? Any favorite teams?
Well... I like sports entertainment, if that counts. Wrestling has it's ups and downs but it's always good to speculate on where storylines are going and who's going to win certain match-ups. Mick Foley and the Hardyz have always been favourites in the WWF/WWE. I was much more interested in it in the late 90s (during the attitude era) and dropped of in the early 2000s. I've since been watching again for the past few years, but seems like it's loosing my interest again Though the local scene is picking up, so that's good

ghostpants wrote:
4 What game(s) are you most looking forward to playing soon?
Dragon Quest Builders 2 (the two player mode should be fun with the daughter), Ooblets (Harvest Moon meets Pokemon), Animal Crossing: New Horizons (which should be nicer on the Switch), Wilmot's Warehouse (looks fun and stressful), Super Mario Maker 2 (I'm sure the daughter will put together some interesting levels)

ghostpants wrote:
5 If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go?
We've been to quite a bit of Europe and the coasts of the USA (including near to Melbourne, FL). I quite liked Munich and San Francisco. Probably going to Japan next year and maybe one day to Canada.

ghostpants wrote:
6 If a movie was made based on your life, which actor would you want to portray you?
Asked my wife and she said David Tennant, but when I was younger a lot of people said I kind of looked like [url=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tim_Rogers_(musician)]Tim Rogers[/url]... though he's 10 years older than me so that probably wouldn't work

ghostpants wrote:
Enjoy your time as VGG GotW!
Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Matt!

Which version of David Tennant would it be? Good Omens? Jessica Jones? Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire? Doctor Who?

Do you prefer Switch for a portable or more of a console?

Enjoy your time in the sun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Matt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Congrats Matt! Have a fun and fruitful week of gaming!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Matt! I was also a big fan of the WWF in the late 90s and early 2000s. My dad took me to Monday Night Raw in Charlotte, NC in ‘99. Got to see Stone Cold beat Undertaker for the title. One of my favorite memories!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
Hillsboro
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I'm the weirdo who purchased overtext solely for the purpose of stating that Kaffedrake's overtext makes me feel melancholy.
mbmb
Congratulations, Matt!

I'm going to guess Civ V.

I've seen you in the microbadge design thread lately, haven't I? (Or did I imagine it?) What do you find most interesting about microbadges and your relation to them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
What was in that cake, Dr??
badge
AROOOOO! BACON! You're made of BACON!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations Matt! Enjoy your time as VGG GotW.

My question to you is - if you could undo or change any major decision made in videogaming history, which would it be, why and how?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bulldog93 wrote:
Congrats Matt!

Which version of David Tennant would it be? Good Omens? Jessica Jones? Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire? Doctor Who?
Checked with my wife and she said "definitely not the Harry Potter version". I've not watched Harry Potter so have no idea why not. She continued "No, it's more the hair and the way he smiles".

bulldog93 wrote:
Do you prefer Switch for a portable or more of a console?
It rarely leaves the house, but it probably gets more undocked play. My daughter will sneak it into her room in the mornings on the weekend (as that's the only days the parental lock is off) and I will often play it while my wife is watching or playing something on the TV.

And then it depends on the game. I played Picross on the TV for a whole ten minutes before deciding it's really an undocked kind of game. And there are games that just look so much nicer in docked mode.

Sadly we've misplaced two joycons and the left joycon we have has developed some very bad drift, so I'm more likely to play in docked mode using the pro controller for most games until we find the other joycon.

bulldog93 wrote:
Enjoy your time in the sun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Thanks, Matt! I was also a big fan of the WWF in the late 90s and early 2000s. My dad took me to Monday Night Raw in Charlotte, NC in ‘99. Got to see Stone Cold beat Undertaker for the title. One of my favorite memories!
That would have been awesome. I've only been to two WWE events that were for broadcast both within a few months of each other. Went to Smackdown Live in Florida in July 2018 and then Super Showdown 2018 in October 2018.

The Smackdown Live had Jeff Hardy brutally attacked by Randal Keith Orton, so there was no actual match which was a shame. Super Showdown had Taker v HHH but mmm.... they really should let him retire. So many rest holds and getting knocked out and what not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wildthayne wrote:
Congratulations, Matt!

I'm going to guess Civ V.

I've seen you in the microbadge design thread lately, haven't I? (Or did I imagine it?) What do you find most interesting about microbadges and your relation to them?
Probably not lately. We got a microbadge created for our convention mb (and for the Las Vegas one as a by product) about two years ago... or three?

So I've been sporting my username in microbadges mbmbmbmbmb for a little while, because I'm a goof. It took a while to find the right letters to do it and it was basically the Broken Age one that gave me the idea to do it.

Otherwise I tend to buy microbages more on the fact that I like the thing than Oh that's a nice picture. When there's multiple microbadges for the thing then how they look comes into consideration and sometimes how they'll look together if I'm going for a combined set.

for a while I had
mbmbmbmb
and just put something in the middle which changed from time to time, just because I liked the symmetry of it.

But hey, I just realised there's no Forza Horizon or Sim City microbadges, so might have to request something or another for them.

So the short answer to the question is that I like that microbadges give an insight into people and allow you to quickly express yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Spoon?
badge
SPOOOOON!!!
mbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Matt! Enjoy your time and have a wonderful week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan
Belgium
De Haan
flag msg tools
admin
designer
I love cargo biking!
badge
...and videogaming, boardgaming, RPG'ing and helping users as an admin!
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Matt!

* Have you played the old Discworld adventure videogames with Eric Idle as Rincewind? If so, what did you think?

* Do you have a favorite comedian? Feel free to share a clip!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T'Leynti / Leonie
Netherlands
Oud-Beijerland
flag msg tools
Live long and prosper
badge
You proceed from a false assumption. I am a Vulcan. I have no ego to bruise.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats Matt!

d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
d10-4 Having fun?
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
d10-1d10-1 What is your life-long dream?
d10-1d10-2 What is your favourite RPG race/class?
d10-1d10-3 If you could go back in time - where and when would you go?
d10-1d10-4 Could you enlighten us about your avatar?
d10-1d10-5 Where does your username come from?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Congrats, Matt!

* Have you played the old Discworld adventure videogames with Eric Idle as Rincewind? If so, what did you think?
I played both Discworld and Discworld II. The voice acting, dialogue and animation are great but the puzzles tend towards the moon logic ide. My recollection is that Discworld: Noir was a much better game, though I haven't played it in quite a while so maybe it hasn't dated very well.

Osirus wrote:
* Do you have a favorite comedian? Feel free to share a clip!
I have too many favourites! My favourite for a very long time was Bill Hicks. This one's not super funny, but it's a bit that I love
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Narl wrote:
Congrats Matt!

d10-1 What is your favourite colour when playing a boardgame?
Purple mb

Narl wrote:
d10-2 Spring, Summer, Autumn or Winter?
Either Autumn or Spring. The extremes are just too extreme nowdays.

Narl wrote:
d10-3 Do you play an instrument? If yes, which one and for how long already?
I play bass mb

Narl wrote:
d10-4 Having fun?
Most days

Narl wrote:
d10-5 What would have been your name if it wasn't the name you have?
I think if my name started with P instead of M I'd be better at golf, it's always the Putting that gets me

Narl wrote:
d10-6 What is your favourite snack?
I'll usually eat anything... I'm a bit of a grazer. But pastries and donuts tend to get me.

Narl wrote:
d10-7 What is your favourite day of the week?
My game days are on Sunday, so that's probably y favourite.

Narl wrote:
d10-8 What is your favourite time of day?
I'm a night owl, so midnight is when I'm more myself.

Narl wrote:
d10-9 What character would you be in a Star Trek setting?
If I'm honest it'd probably be Saru

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-0 What makes you "tick" (inspires you, why do you get up in the morning)?
What normally gets me up in the morning is that I need to take my daughter to school But just the need to get stuff done.

Narl wrote:
I probably should write a book... about something....

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-2 What is your favourite RPG race/class?
I think last time I played, I played as a dwarf. But watching to Dice Friends the batiri seem pretty cool.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-3 If you could go back in time - where and when would you go?
Probably the 1950s. Good music and good drinks.

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-4 Could you enlighten us about your avatar?
So being a Discworld MUD wizard I need something appropriate for that. So an octogram is perfect for it. I found the image back in the late 90s.

Later using image search I found that it's from a book called
"Druid Power: Celtic Faerie Craft & Elemental Magic".

Narl wrote:
d10-1d10-5 Where does your username come from?
It's really just random nonsense. I've had it since 1995 (I think) when I was using IRC.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
urbaer wrote:

I have too many favourites! My favourite for a very long time was Bill Hicks. This one's not super funny, but it's a bit that I love
Classic!

urbaer wrote:

Narl wrote:
I probably should write a book... about something....
You can start as soon as today! Or November is National Novel Writing Month, if you need more motivation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Utting
Australia
Preston
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So if I could only play one game for the rest of my life....

In answering this question it occurred to me that either something has gone dramatically wrong in the world (some sort of apocalyptic situation) or the government has instituted a one game policy. Or both.

Let's take the "or both" scenario.

So we're probably growing our own crops at this point, so Stardew isn't a break from reality anymore and we're probably trying to rebuild so Simcity drops out for the same reason.

As each person can only pick one game, the number of people playing Rock Band 3 will decrease (and presumably there's no internet in this scenario so online play is out).

That leave me with Forza 4 and Civ V... I think in the scenario outlined that I'd want to overthrow the government... so Civ V is probably the better choice.

So there you have it. In this strange scenario, I'd pick Civilization V!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls