Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
Ouch! Watch it!
mbmbmbmbmb
In yesterday's QOTD thread, we discussed our backlogs, and some folks shared how many games are in their backlog alone. I thought today's questions might be a logical follow up.

How many games are in your collection? How many of them have you played and/or beaten? Do you have any rare games or games that are particularly special to you in your collection?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have over 1500 games in my Steam library, 1000 of which are unplayed. This is the result of a few years of copious bundle buying where I wanted 1 game and got 7-12 more as a bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have no idea how many games I have "in my collection". Which I guess means I don't have a collection. There are many hundreds of games I have played and/or could be playing right now, either because I have purchased them, received them as freebies, or they don't require payment to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Lots, I've "beaten" quite a few arcade games (that have the continue function). I've beaten a few more modern games (a dozen or so). I've really mastered none of them.

Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
According to my VGG collection (which is up to date):

276 games owned (a few of these are duplicates/compilations)
50 games previously owned
195 games rated (this is probably the number I have played)
56 on my want to play list (a few of these are replays)

The number beaten is harder to estimate. Say half the ones I've rated? I tend to play longer games rather than short ones.

Edit: Rare-ish games:
The Last Story (Wii) now sold
Pandora's Tower (Wii)
Xenoblade Chronicles (Wii)
Metroid Prime Trilogy (Wii)
Sin and Punishment Star Successor (Wii)
Little King's Story (Wii)
Muramasa The Demon Blade (Wii)
Nier (PS3)
Tales of Symphonia (Gamecube)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got about 200 games and completed 65 (some of those I sold after completing, though), and played about 50 more of them. Of course there are probably some games I played a long time ago and forgot about not included in those numbers.

I'm not really sure if I have any rare games because that's something I don't really realize until I look up the going price of a game when I want to sell it. I don't buy games that have crazy inflated prices because they are hard to find now, but there was one game I sold that I'm pretty sure I got more for it than I originally paid, and it went overseas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." --Emerson
badge
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet (Shakespeare)
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
How many games are in your collection? How many of them have you played and/or beaten? Do you have any rare games or games that are particularly special to you in your collection?
There are 178 games in my GOG and Steam libraries combined, and I have a couple others on my laptop and four on my phone. Oh, and maybe 20 more on game carts for my DS Lite. Say roughly 200 total. But 89 are in the "hidden" area of my two digital libraries; those area games I don't expect to ever play (or ever play again) and don't want to even see when I browse around.

My installed games consist of 12 on Steam, 9 on GOG, 3 on my laptop, and 4 on my phone--a total of 28. But two are duplicates, and one is really just a demo, so I'll say 25 games on my active-play list (installed and ready to go at the tap of an icon).

Of the 200 games, it looks like I've played about 130. Beaten? I don't know; I don't think about that, since I play games over and over, winning sometimes and losing other times. (And the ones that can be finished, such as Baldur's Gate and Grim Fandango, I use a walkthrough for, so I don't take any pride in beating or finishing those games.)

I have no rare games that I know of. "Particularly special" to me are the ones I play regularly (except for the phone games, which are more or less time fillers even though I like them) or look forward to getting into (or back into).

The ones I play regularly include
Master of Orion
Age of Wonders III
Civilization IV

The ones I look forward to getting (back) into include
Darkest Dungeon
Invisible, Inc
Ultimate General: Civil War
Pride of Nations
Silent Hunter III
Civil War II
Geneforge

And then there's the RPG I just started getting into
Divinity: Original Sin

And the RPG I ought to get back to and finish
Baldur's Gate II: Throne of Bhaal

That's how I perceive my game collection. My "backlog" and the tension associated with it comes from noticing that the games I regularly play are crowding out the ones I look forward to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have yet to break 500 in steam, pc games before I jumped on the steam bandwagon that I still have is probably less than 100.
Each system I've had I have only about two dozen games per. I probably had about a dozen more per system that didn't make the cut of "keep even though its an outdated system".

I feel very attached to my collection, at least much of the outdated games. They bring back memories of good times. I've been holding on to games probably more than I should because that feeling is worth more than the money I could get for them. Except my n64, I got BANK for that! I've been thinking of coming up with a book-spine type of look of my game history highlights and line my desk or something with that. I can't even get my pc games that are a bit over 10 years old to work easily anymore so I think I'm gonna try to toss them.

the number of games I've beaten is very slim, though a fair amount are games I'd never try to such as all the command and conquer games, of which I tried to collect them all, I've always gotten for the scenarios rather than the campaign. I think I've beaten two campaigns out of all (which is at least 16 I think?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Spoon?
badge
SPOOOOON!!!
mbmbmbmb
I own 600 games on Steam and I believe I've played a little more than half of them. No clue how many I've beaten/finished but I'd guess around 25%.

Special games in my collection are Far Cry, Stalker, and Path of Exile. I built my first gaming PC for Far Cry and I still love to go back and play that every couple of years. Stalker games are so much fun, especially with mods. I love the idea of the wild west chaos mixed with a radiation zone. Path of Exile is my favorite game. Remember those days of playing minesweeper or solitaire while bored? Path of Exile is what I do when I have brief moments of boredom and I want to kill stuff a thousand different ways.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
689 in Steam
61 in GOG
Maybe 20 each in Epic, Uplay, Origins, Amazon (I'm not logging in to check)

And hundreds of physical.

As for how many I have played, a fraction.

If I have a rare game I'm not aware of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Ever since I got my new job a year ago, I haven't been keeping VGG as up to date as I would like. Before that, it was pretty accurate though.

According to VGG, I have 2410 games, but I'm estimating I have around 1858 physical games.

I have 452 steam games, and maybe another 100+ digital games in various other outlets.

As for how many I've played, maybe 60% of them, but certainly not finishing/beating that many. I try not to buy games just for collecting reasons, but because I would like to play them at some point. I probably only have around 10 or 15 games in my collection that I'll likely never play, and I only bought because I thought it would be fun to have in the collection, like Porky's for the Atari 2600, or Donkey Kong for the Colecovision.

I've searched and searched, but I'm still missing more than half of my Gamecube collection, which makes me sad every time I look at it. I'm not sure if a friend borrowed those games years ago, or if they ended up in some box still out at my parents' house or something.

For rare games, I have a few that are pretty special to me.

DJMAX Portable Prestige Edition. This collector's edition of the game was exceedingly rare, where ebay usually never had a single one. I found one at point point from a European seller, and it was a bit higher than I would have liked to pay. My wife surprised me and got it for me as a Christmas present. I have other DJMAX Collector's editions which are quite rare, but this one means the most.

Haunting Ground and Rule of Rose are two horror games in my collection that are pretty rare.

Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 Collector's Edition. I bought the collector's edition of this game when it first launched for maybe $55. It sold out in 7 minutes (only 1000 copies made) and went up to $250-$300 on ebay within a day or so. I checked just now and some sellers are asking over $1500+ for it.

I have my original copies of many Playstation 1 RPGs that are now considered pretty rare, like Suikoden 1 and 2, Vandal Hearts, Lunar and Lunar 2 special editions, Vagrant Story, etc.

I also have almost every special edition ever released for the Disgaea series of games, including the Japanese special editions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." --Emerson
badge
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet (Shakespeare)
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
According to VGG, I have 2410 games, but I'm estimating I have around 1858 physical games.
FTW

Runners-up:

Osirus wrote:
I have over 1500 games in my Steam library, 1000 of which are unplayed.
Cricky wrote:
According to Backloggery I have 2060 games, 1614 of which are unplayed. blush

214 completed which isn't too bad though. whistle
Fragasnap wrote:
I own 1,622 games according to my Backloggery.com account which I take as my most accurate record, of which 484 are beaten (30.0%).

Whoever dies with the most games wins, right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to Backloggery I have 2060 games, 1614 of which are unplayed. blush

214 completed which isn't too bad though. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
Ouch! Watch it!
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only estimate the total number of games in my collection. I know I have around 350 in my Steam library, plus around 25 between Origin and GOG. Thanks to things like PlayStation Plus, I know I have around 80 digital games between PlayStation 3, PlayStation 4, and PlayStation Vita, plus any digital games I bought. A lot of my physical game collection is in storage, but a conservative estimate would be around 250. So I'm thinking I have approximately 705 games, currently.

The number of those I have played and/or beaten can only be estimated as well, but it's unfortunately a smaller percentage than I'd like. I would say around 30-35% of them have been played, and probably around 25% of them have actually been beaten; they have been played to their story conclusion anyway.

Like others have said, things like Humble Bundle are in part responsible for my digital collection. I've often bought a bundle for a few dollars to get a specific game only to get 10 others along with it. Some of them look interesting and I have plans to play them eventually. Others, I don't really have that much interest in. I sort of regret actually redeeming some of them to my Steam account, as I could have given them to someone who actually wants to play.

I don't really have any rare games in my collection. I do have a factory sealed copy of Final Fantasy VIII which, while not rare per se, is an uncommon item to have. It's also very special to me since it's my favorite game. I'd like to add a factory sealed copy of Metal Gear Solid as well, but the ones I have seen have an insane price tag. I have a handful of limited run games, some of which are technically rare since they only printed 3,000 copies. There may be something in my collection that is rare without my realizing, but I'm more concerned with how special a title is to me as opposed to rarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Around 10 but I have yet to play all of them in my Steam account.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Timmins
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
So stop your cheap comment, 'cause we know what we feel...
badge
Love is the vampire, drunk on your blood
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I don't have that many games. I've had lots but once I've played them I pretty much get rid of them. I think Steam is interesting because it keeps them around, but... once I've played and I'm done, rarely do I go back.

As far as own but not played, not very many. I'm a notorious cheapskate and I rarely buy bundles, so I end up usually playing when I acquire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
108 Steam games
140 GoG games

Physical games probably around 75, though about 15 of those Im either selling or are too worthless to sell. This count doesnt include the numerous old family Intellivision and Lynx games.

My rarest game is Shadow Tower, luckily most games I like are inexpensive. I would like to keep the physical games limited to under 100, I like playing the same games so 100 is already more than I need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I own 1,622 games according to my Backloggery.com account which I take as my most accurate record, of which 484 are beaten (30.0%). My Backloggery also tells me I have not played 837 of those games (56%), though that count may not be accurate.
Steam tells me I have 143 games and I've beaten 78 of them (54.5%).
My GOG.com account is more substantial with 287 games often acquired in big bundles of older games. Only 43 of those are completed (15.0%).
That leaves me with in the realm of 1,093 physically owned games (accounting also for the digital Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii games I own).

As far as "rare" games go, I own original copies of:
E.V.O.: Search for Eden
EarthBound
Einhänder
Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
Team Buddies
They are only moderately rare, typically running $100-$200 USD or so. I collect for playing though, not so much for the sake of collecting. The rare games that come out in "Collectors' Editions" that are actually limited release tend to be worth a lot, but the marketing and all the extra chaff that gets packaged with the game make me leery.

I don't think there are many games that are particularly special to me. While I enjoy collecting and owning games, they are merely things. The only one that jumps to mind is that I have a translated reproduction cartridge of Downtown Special: Kunio-kun no Jidaigeki Dayo Zenin Shuugou! with a personally modified ROM. I'd be pretty bummed if I lost that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
Over the years I've owned nearly 700 in total, and currently own around 500 of those. I have beaten over 200 so far, though I will say that not all of them can be "beaten" as such.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
According to VGG: 479. Though this often includes DLC as a video game or chapters sold separately as separate games. I think 360 is a more accurate number (Steam catalogue (313) plus complete Nancy Drew Adventures series (32) plus a few random other discs and Amazon DLC purchases).

Anyhoo..

I've played almost all of them. I'd say I have 25 sitting completely untouched. I have maybe another 15 or so that I've played, but not completed because of reasons.

Everything else I've played to the end/last level.

And for some Steam bragging:

I have 98 perfect games (games where I've unlocked every achievement).

I have an 80% completion rate for unlocking all achievements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep VGG pretty up to date...

I own around 279 games, I used to own 88 others.

Of the 88 I used to own, I gave up on 3 without beating them, the rest I played all the way through until the end.

Of the video games I currently own, I haven't played 62 of them. The rest I have at least started.

And of the 217 I have started, I haven't beaten 55 of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't track it.

In terms of physical copies, every year or two there is a purge. For 'modern systems,' I'm down to:

Less than 5 PS2 games
Less than 10 Wii games
Less than 25 PS3 games
Less than 35 PS4 games

In the long run, I only keep games that matter to me, and that ends up being a select group. I know that I've sold significantly more PS3 games than I currently own.

For digital copies, who knows. I'm sure I "own" (can't emphasize those quotation marks enough) 100 things on the PS3 and another 100 on the PS4. But there's a lot of noise in there. Sometimes, a game I own physically will be featured as a PS+ game or a Flash Sale game. I might buy/claim it just to get rid of the physical copy, if it's a game I like but don't love.

Childhood gaming was on NES/SNES. Teenage gaming on SNES/N64. I have around 30 NES games in a box in the attic, along with 20-ish SNES games and 15-ish N64 games. It's been over 10 years since I played any of them on their original hardware. I have no intent to sell them or the consoles.

I have beaten over 500 games since the first VGG-Beaten list posted by Kevster in 2011. I can't be bothered to bring up all nine lists and add it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

In terms of physical copies, every year or two there is a purge.
PC has always been my "main". I'd long ago purged my complete physical copies of games down to zero. But then I acquired a backup boxed copy of Blade Runner. That game has meant a great deal to me, and I know that the licencing means that a download release is virtually impossible. So for my primary system my physical copy count stands at one game (which I have two sets of CDs for (as well as a rip) because physical copies are subject to ageing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not counting Android/phone games, I have 118 videogames (80 on Steam, 29 on GOG, 1 on Origin and 8 Nintendo Wii games). I didn't count the 10 free games GOG insisted on giving me when I signed up but I did count a couple of free games that I willing chose to add to my Steam or GOG accounts.

Of those 118 games, I counted 33 that I haven't played at all which means that 85 have been played to some degree. This "played" number includes games that were played for 20 mins then abandoned and also games where I played a physical copy in the past but haven't played the digital copy I currently own. Not all of my played games can be beaten so I didn't bother to work that out. I don't think I have any particularly rare games, and I don't know if I consider any of them overly special. The Sim 3 and Don't Starve have never left my "Games of the moment" category on Steam though, maybe that makes them a little bit special.

I also own a lot of games on Android but I can't seem to get Google Play to just show me the games separate from the rest of the apps on my account, so I'm just going to guess and say about 100. I think I've played almost all of them. There are 17 games currently installed on my phone and only one of them hasn't been played at all yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't added games to my collections on VGG since years back, so I have no idea how many games I have. not counting pirate copies on the C64, I would roughly guess that I own perhaps 300–500 games. I don't think it's more than 500.

Unplayed might be 50 or more?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |