Vietnam ‘65
Atlantic Fleet
Mansions of Madness
Evolution (2019)
Artifact
Baba is You
Peregrin
One Deck Dungeon
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Ganz Schön Clever
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Godhood
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Fort Sumter: Secession Crisis
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
87 Posts
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » Bazaar » Hot Deals

Subject: Steam Summer Sale 2019 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks like the Steam Summer sale might kick off tomorrow. Time to update your wishlists!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I was about to say I haven't bought anything in a steam sale in a while, but I am curious to see if they try being more impressive this time around. The article talked about the Epic Store, so it made me wonder if Steam would try to compete by offering some better sales (I just haven't been impressed with Steam sales for the last couple of years).

I have a few games on my wishlist, that I could use a big sale on, like Draugen (the new game by the team who made Dreamfall Chapters), Outbreak the Nightmare Chronicles (a single player Resident Evil 2 type clone), Gris, Cross Code, and Gray Dawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam sales were a lot of fun when they had these single-day extreme sales. I bought far too many games that I never got around to playing, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I miss the single day deals too. It made checking it every day fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geez. This made me peek at my wishlist, which still has over 50 games on it. Hoping that Cosmic Star Heroine or FFXII/WoFF hits 75%off/$5, but most of the big hitters on my wishlst (Dragon Quest XI, Witcher 3, etc.) still aren't going to get that low any time soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Geez. This made me peek at my wishlist, which still has over 50 games on it. Hoping that Cosmic Star Heroine or FFXII/WoFF hits 75%off/$5, but most of the big hitters on my wishlst (Dragon Quest XI, Witcher 3, etc.) still aren't going to get that low any time soon.

The Witcher 3 has been ridiculously cheap, like $15 for the complete edition with all the DLC. I never picked up the Blood & Wine expansion, which I was waiting to be really cheap (which is only finally dropped to $8 recently, but I felt like that was still too high considering the entire complete edition of the game was $15).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I probably won't get much -- I've been playing a lot more on my Switch and PS4 lately (and even my old DS!), and I have a laundry list of games on Steam that I still want to play (or finish) before moving on to other stuff.

I probably will pick up Battle Chasers and Minit though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:

The Witcher 3 has been ridiculously cheap,

Yes, but not as ridiculously cheap as I am.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Apparently I've got 80+, but am only really serious about 40 or so.

I wasn't impressed with the summer sale last year - looks like I only bought 1 thing and haven't even played it yet.

Osirus wrote:
GibbRS wrote:

Yeah like under $5 is where I'm biting right now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Steam's (Valve's) Dota Underlords is free on Steam (and Google Play, iPhone, iOS, Linux. Open beta, but it's in good shape. It's Valve's version of Dota Auto-chess. It plays both timed online in rated games or against AI opponents, timed or untimed.

Basically, you pick characters to place on your side of chessboard, and they battle your opponent's characters by AI. What you're trying to do is synergize characters and place them to best advantage in their starting positions; more druids gets you bonuses, knights should be near each other, and so forth. The actual play/fighting is by AI.

Visually, it vaguely resembles the game in the original Star Wars, I suppose, but it's a AI melee, not turn based.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Steam's (Valve's) Dota Underlords is free on Steam (and Google Play, iPhone, iOS, Linux. Open beta, but it's in good shape. It's Valve's version of Dota Auto-chess. It plays both timed online in rated games or against AI opponents, timed or untimed.

Basically, you pick characters to place on your side of chessboard, and they battle your opponent's characters by AI. What you're trying to do is synergize characters and place them to best advantage in their starting positions; more druids gets you bonuses, knights should be near each other, and so forth. The actual play/fighting is by AI.

Visually, it vaguely resembles the game in the original Star Wars, I suppose, but it's a AI melee, not turn based.

But this will always be free?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lfisher wrote:
But this will always be free?

What I've heard is yes and that they'll monetize with skins and such.

It's mostly a stripped-down, faster, leaner, cleaner clone of Dota Auto Chess, a mod for Dota 2. Both of these are free, so that seems to limit Underlords. While Dota 2 is by Valve, it's based on Defense of the Ancients, a community mod for Warcraft III: Reign of Chaos and Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne by Blizzard Entertainment (now Activision Blizzard). Valve and Blizzard did have a legal skirmish over "Dota", I think, with the result that Valve can use Dota commercially but anyone can use Dota non-commercially.

Dota 2 is also free, but must be played online, I think. Underlords has an AI mode that can be untimed.

(Personally, while I like and recommend Underlords, I think I'll probably be tired of it by the time it sees monetization. Playing online is just not for me: I dislike being rushed, and I don't play enough realtime games to have a decent APM, Actions Per Minute.)

BTW, I can't quite recommend the mobile version of Underlords, unless you have a tablet/phablet and are willing to play plugged in. It's not that engaging on a 5-6" screen, and the game sucks power.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Steam Summer Sale 2019
ghostpants wrote:
Yeah, I miss the single day deals too. It made checking it every day fun.

Personally I don't miss the single day deals at all. I never liked having to check the sale every day - being able to check the sales and mull over whether or not to buy something for a day or two before committing works much better for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
Osirus wrote:
GibbRS wrote:

May I just say that even if it is not on sale, The Witcher III is ridiculously cheap for what you get. If you have an interest in playing that game and you are looking for something cool to play, my recommendation is to get it now. It is seriously one of the best games ever made. Probably the best RPG ever made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
flaeryn wrote:
Osirus wrote:
GibbRS wrote:

May I just say that even if it is not on sale, The Witcher III is ridiculously cheap for what you get. If you have an interest in playing that game and you are looking for something cool to play, my recommendation is to get it now. It is seriously one of the best games ever made. Probably the best RPG ever made.

It does sound great, and I plan to get it either when it hits $5 or whenever I get around to playing Witcher 1+2 (which I already own but sit unplayed), whichever comes first. My backlog runneth over with riches, and while Witcher 1+2 are certainly in my top 50 games to play next, they're not necessarily in my top 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Flyboy Connor wrote:
flaeryn wrote:
Osirus wrote:
GibbRS wrote:

Yes, but not as ridiculously cheap as I am. ;)

It does sound great, and I plan to get it either when it hits $5 or whenever I get around to playing Witcher 1+2 (which I already own but sit unplayed), whichever comes first. My backlog runneth over with riches, and while Witcher 1+2 are certainly in my top 50 games to play next, they're not necessarily in my top 10.

I don't know if this helps or hinders, but The Witcher 3 has a stronger connection to the original source material than the first two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I cannot recommend Witcher I and II. Wither I is outdated and rather a chore. It is not a bad game, but it is long and you will definitely feel that there are better things to play. Witcher II is much more modern, but I could never play it because of the bugs that did not allow me to get through the introduction (that happened to me on multiple computers). Witcher III is a separate game. I recommend that you skip the first two -- there is really no need to play them to enjoy Witcher III. It isn't as if it loads your final saves from previous games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that I already own them, there's simply no way I'd ever start III before at least trying I and II. I'm big on playing things in order when I can.

Which reminds me, I've had Final Fantasy XIII-2 in my library for a while now, but can't play it until I get XIII, which in turn I am waiting in hopes it will one day drop to $5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Given that I already own them, there's simply no way I'd ever start III before at least trying I and II. I'm big on playing things in order when I can.

I would at least keep it in the back of your mind that if either or both games start feeling tedious to you, then there's always the option of seeing various "story so far" YouTube videos to fill in any knowledge gaps you might feel apply from not having played the previous games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Osirus wrote:
Flyboy Connor wrote:
flaeryn wrote:
Osirus wrote:
GibbRS wrote:

I'm also not looking for something cool to play when I already have over 100 cool games in my backlog
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What's "story" got to do with it?
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:
I'm also not looking for something cool to play when I already have over 100 cool games in my backlog

Wish I could honestly say that. For me, it's true up to a point. But I continue to browse new-to-me games anyway, especially if they're on sale. There's an irrational naive guy in my brain who's quick to say, "Hey, maybe this is the game we've been looking for all our life! The one that'll be so good it'll overshadow everything else."

"Like any dealer, he was watching for the card
That is so high and wild
He'll never need to deal another"

(from "The Stranger," by Leonard Cohen)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
That is so high and wild

Every gambler knows
That the secret to survivin'
Is knowin' what to throw away
And knowin' what to keep.
'Cause every hand's a winner,
And every hand's a loser,
And the best that you can hope for
Is to die in your sleep.

--"The Gambler", Kenny Rogers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
That is so high and wild

Every gambler knows
Is to die in your sleep.

Interesting how the dealer and the gambler are such different kinds of people.

In one of Leonard Cohen's more recent songs comes this line:
"If you are the dealer, let me out of the game."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
That is so high and wild

Every gambler knows
Is to die in your sleep.

Funny reference for this thread, as I have The Gambler on Steam.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Funny reference for this thread, as I have The Gambler on Steam.

Well, that ties it all together. But I had no idea there were songs on Steam.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.