Vietnam ‘65
Atlantic Fleet
Mansions of Madness
Evolution (2019)
Artifact
Baba is You
Peregrin
One Deck Dungeon
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Ganz Schön Clever
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Godhood
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Fort Sumter: Secession Crisis
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
87 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » Bazaar » Hot Deals

Subject: Steam Summer Sale 2019 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, the Steam Summer sale just started--10 AM Pacific--and the store's down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Well, the Steam Summer sale just started--10 AM Pacific--and the store's down.

So business as usual
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It works!

At a first glance nothing unusual, sale prices for some items on my wishlist match those from February.

Let's see how this Grand Prix event works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, store's finally loading, at least intermittently. Things which catch my eye at better than half off:

South Park: Fractured But Whole - 90% off ($6)
Crypt of the Necrodancer - 80% off ($3)
Witcher 3 - 75% off ($12)
Treasure Adventure World - 70% off ($3)
Battle Chasers: Nightwar - 67% off ($10)
Mages of Mystralia - 60% off ($8)
Cosmic Star Heroine - 60% off ($6)
Shadowhand - 60% off ($6)
Cypher - 60% off ($2)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Tales of Berseria is down to $12.49 just like Tales of Zestiria has been, but there's nothing I'm gonna bite on right now. I did just get Tales of Legendia for $9.08 on eBay, however, bringing the total number of Tales games in my backlog to 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What's "story" got to do with it?
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
I just browsed through the titles and prices.

Was a little tempted by Galactic Civilizations III, but then I remembered there's all the DLC. Since it's all on sale, I considered splurging on the bundle, but then I read reviews that said GC2 is better.

So I went and read about GC2, and it's cheaper, but some say it's buggy. About that time, I decided I have too many Civ-type games anyway.

I looked at Slay the Spire, since it gets rave reviews. But I remembered I've never been keen on deck-builders.

Into the Breach is finally down to a price I'd pay, but now I find I'm not so motivated to buy it. Last year, Rock, Paper Shotgun called it the best strategy game of all time, and that caught my attention. Now (maybe because the price has dropped) I'm thinking it's probably not all that.

Distant Worlds Universe is down to $15 again, and it's been bouncing back up to $50, and some say it's the best game of its kind. But I think it's too big a project for me to take on. Plus, it sounds like one of those "you can automate everything" games, and I can never restrain myself from doing just that and spoiling all the fun.

Finally, I looked at Conquest of Elysium 4, which is affordable and highly regarded. But something tells me I wouldn't be able to get into it the way some people have, so I passed it up again.

It was fun browsing a bit, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
So far, I've picked up Assetto Corsa and some DLC for American Truck Simulator. There are a couple other games I might decide to pull the trigger on, but otherwise, nothing really blew me away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
So I went and read about GC2, and it's cheaper, but some say it's buggy. About that time, I decided I have too many Civ-type games anyway.

I looked at Slay the Spire, since it gets rave reviews. But I remembered I've never been keen on deck-builders.

The thing I don't like about GC2 is that it gives you "ethical choices" between "good" and "evil"--and they're labeled--so it turns the game (to me) into a simplistic, childish morality play.

I'd suggest Stellaris or revisiting it if you've played it in the past. It's been revamped in the last year or so, and it's quite a different game than at first release. Just the base game has lots of mysteries--with nothing labeled, "Pick this one." If you like it, you can get some DLC at the Christmas sale.

Master of Orion - Conquer the Stars seems okay, though it didn't snag me the way Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares did. MoO3 should be avoided at all costs.

Someone recommended Endless Sky which is now free. I haven't tried it yet, but it's apparently a run your spaceship around and upgrade it sandbox game.

Slay the Spire seems mechanically good, but thematically appalling (to me). The theme just seems random.

With all but perhaps Endless Sky, YouTube Let's Plays are available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Well whadayaknow! One of the games I really wanted Outbreak: The Nightmare Chronicles is $3.74 today on sale (originally $14.99). I'll be snagging that for sure.

A few other games I wanted are on pretty decent sale. Little Witch Academia is $10, which is the best I've seen it at. I played the demo and it was pretty fun.

Shadows Awakening is $16, but I think it's been at that price before, and that's a bit higher than I want to pay.

I was hoping Truberbrook would be cheaper, as I really want to try out the game, but I've heard it's not very good. It's only $3 bucks off though.

Gray Dawn (not to be confused with Grim Dawn), the horror game where you have to prove to the townsfolk that you're innocent of a horrendous crime, is 50% off, $10 right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well i think with the death of the flash sales went the deals good enough to motivate me. I have yet to see a deal that beats a typical publisher weekend type of deal. I think the days of breaking that 75% on big games is gone. I think this just shows steam's power as now that physical media is basically killed they have more price control.

as mentioned by Osirus may be the only deal I've never seen this low before.

not saying there aren't still good deals but for me I think the highlights are on games that are old enough that the publisher doesn't push sales much anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
well i think with the death of the flash sales went the deals good enough to motivate me. I have yet to see a deal that beats a typical publisher weekend type of deal. I think the days of breaking that 75% on big games is gone. I think this just shows steam's power as now that physical media is basically killed they have more price control.

as mentioned by Osirus may be the only deal I've never seen this low before.

not saying there aren't still good deals but for me I think the highlights are on games that are old enough that the publisher doesn't push sales much anymore.

One of my favorite sites (and one that I always have open on my home PC) is gg.deals. It not only tracks all the sales going on at any online PC store, it also tells me about free games and when a game reaches a historically low price.

According to gg.deals, Crypt of the Necrodancer is at the lowest price it's ever been at.
https://gg.deals/us/game/crypt-of-the-necrodancer/

It has been $2.99 in the past, though, a number of times. Even as recently as the beginning of June it was $2.99.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Into the Breach is finally down to a price I'd pay, but now I find I'm not so motivated to buy it. Last year, Rock, Paper Shotgun called it the best strategy game of all time, and that caught my attention. Now (maybe because the price has dropped) I'm thinking it's probably not all that.

For what it's worth, I'm totally taken by Into the breach. I put 20+ hours into it when I first picked it up, and I've started playing it again over lunch breaks. Time flies by -- it definitely scratches my brain in exactly the way I like, with every turn being a puzzle with meaningful decisions and damage control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hodkinson
Canada
Owen Sound
Ontario
flag msg tools
admin
兵者,詭道也。
badge
mbmbmb
tatoolo wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:

For what it's worth, I'm totally taken by Into the breach. I put 20+ hours into it when I first picked it up, and I've started playing it again over lunch breaks. Time flies by -- it definitely scratches my brain in exactly the way I like, with every turn being a puzzle with meaningful decisions and damage control.

Same. It was so basic to play and yet had interesting strategies.

I snagged South Park: The Stick of Truth for $8 CDN; I hope it's as funny as people say.

Was hoping for Obra Dinn to go on sale.

Picked up a lot of bottom feeder games for 50 cents each too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Honestly, just from what I've seen of your discussion of games, you probably wouldn't be into it. If I recall, you weren't as much a fan of games that are like puzzles, and basically every level boils down to being more of a puzzle than anything else. That said, you've gotten into some surprising things so it's hard to tell sometimes, but while it's one of my favorite games of all time, I can definitely see you bouncing off of it. Then again, if it's cheap enough... wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ColdFrog wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Honestly, just from what I've seen of your discussion of games, you probably wouldn't be into it. If I recall, you weren't as much a fan of games that are like puzzles, and basically every level boils down to being more of a puzzle than anything else. That said, you've gotten into some surprising things so it's hard to tell sometimes, but while it's one of my favorite games of all time, I can definitely see you bouncing off of it. Then again, if it's cheap enough... wow

Thanks. You inspired a blog post.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I want to add a few hidden gems that are on sale right now on Steam:

BATTLETECH is down from $40 to $13.59. a steal at that price if you like slow, tactical battles with giant mechs.

One Deck Dungeon is half off at $4.99

XCOM 2 is only $14.99

Cultist Simulator is only 33% off, but still a great price at $13.39

Battle Brothers a fun, dark mercenary turn based tactical game is half off at $14.99

So is Field of Glory II, a turn based adaptation of a well loved miniature wargame based around ancient armies. This one's addictive!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
does anyone get this race thing?
did it really come down to I didn't click corgi?

from what I can tell your really only doing much if you buy games. I can't tell what your actually contributing and what your contributing to. What does seem clear is 300 people out of the top teams get a game gifted to them from the top of their wishlist. When top teams are calculated idk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:

from what I can tell your really only doing much if you buy games. I can't tell what your actually contributing and what your contributing to. What does seem clear is 300 people out of the top teams get a game gifted to them from the top of their wishlist. When top teams are calculated idk.

I have no idea. I even switched my Steam UI back to English, thinking that going back to my native language would help. But I still don't get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chamoxil wrote:
BATTLETECH is down from $40 to $13.59. a steal at that price if you like slow, tactical battles with giant mechs.

I saw some Let's Plays of BT. It seems pretty authentic to the table top game, though it's been a long time since I played it.

It may be the video game or that the rules have changed (or it's in a different era) since I played it, but the number of critical-hit-your-mech-explodes results seems less.

The game has the whole mech design process, so that's good. I didn't see a player just build an X ton mech from scratch, but maybe.

I thought the overarching move-your-drop-ship around mechanics and story were pretty good, with salvage rights, reputation, repairs, ship upgrades, and all.

I'm probably not going to get it because I'm not feeling that tactical, and I'm not really invested emotionally in the BT universe. But maybe.

(I really like that Steam sales are long. The whole one- or two-day sale thing Amazon and others are doing soon just feels too high pressure, like they're trying to pull something. I want the time to check and think.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
chamoxil wrote:

I saw some Let's Plays of BT. It seems pretty authentic to the table top game, though it's been a long time since I played it.

It may be the video game or that the rules have changed (or it's in a different era) since I played it, but the number of critical-hit-your-mech-explodes results seems less.

The game has the whole mech design process, so that's good. I didn't see a player just build an X ton mech from scratch, but maybe.

I thought the overarching move-your-drop-ship around mechanics and story were pretty good, with salvage rights, reputation, repairs, ship upgrades, and all.

I'm probably not going to get it because I'm not feeling that tactical, and I'm not really invested emotionally in the BT universe. But maybe.

(I really like that Steam sales are long. The whole one- or two-day sale thing Amazon and others are doing soon just feels too high pressure, like they're trying to pull something. I want the time to check and think.)

As a Battletech player from the 80s, I found the mechanics to be very satisfying. There are quite a few alterations from the game as I knew it, but not in a way that undermines the feel of the pen and paper ruleset. I really disliked the campaign design though, so I never managed to get more than a few missions in before giving up on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
As a Battletech player from the 80s, I found the mechanics to be very satisfying. There are quite a few alterations from the game as I knew it, but not in a way that undermines the feel of the pen and paper ruleset. I really disliked the campaign design though, so I never managed to get more than a few missions in before giving up on it.

The Let's Plays I watched may have been in a sandbox, do-what-you-want setting, rather than a scripted campaign. I recall the player having a lot of choice of missions, and he could take his drop ship to any star system.

I dislike campaigns, too, generally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
paralipsis wrote:

The Let's Plays I watched may have been in a sandbox, do-what-you-want setting, rather than a scripted campaign. I recall the player having a lot of choice of missions, and he could take his drop ship to any star system.

I dislike campaigns, too, generally.

The game plays with fixed story missions existing alongside procedurally generated ones. You can choose missions most of the time, but the structure of the game is that you do mercenary missions for the cash and other resources, and you do the story missions to progress the plot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
mafman6 wrote:

I have no idea. I even switched my Steam UI back to English, thinking that going back to my native language would help. But I still don't get it.

I also don't really get it. I think that it is simply that if the meter is not in the red, if you have action points you can increase it a bit, or you can decrease the meters of an opponent. But team corgi seems to have the most players on it, so naturally it is going to win. I think the assumption of Steam was that since you can reduce the speed of an opponent, 4 teams would be reducing the speed of the team which is ahead, but if 80% of the players are on the same team that does not help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
paralipsis wrote:
mafman6 wrote:

I also don't really get it. I think that it is simply that if the meter is not in the red, if you have action points you can increase it a bit, or you can decrease the meters of an opponent. But team corgi seems to have the most players on it, so naturally it is going to win. I think the assumption of Steam was that since you can reduce the speed of an opponent, 4 teams would be reducing the speed of the team which is ahead, but if 80% of the players are on the same team that does not help.

They were smart about the prize structure though. I picked Team Corgi before reading the rules (having been burned before by not picking the popular team), but in this case an equal number of prizes (300) go to the top team and the next 2 teams combined. In other words, you actually have much better odds of winning if you're on the second or even third place team than first.

And standings are calculated daily.

The overarching game is still confusing as hell though. Needlessly complex and poorly explained. I logged back into Path of Exile and re-skilled a character just to try to do a quest or two (beat act boss, run yellow map), but none of it gave me credit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:

The thing I don't like about GC2 is that it gives you "ethical choices" between "good" and "evil"--and they're labeled--so it turns the game (to me) into a simplistic, childish morality play.

That wouldn't bother me. I'm used to it in Age of Wonders III, and I love that game. (The only thing that bothers me a little is that if you're "dedicated to neutral," you have to alternate between good and evil deeds to keep the balance. I'd rather just stay detached from the extremes.)

Quote:
I'd suggest Stellaris or revisiting it if you've played it in the past. It's been revamped in the last year or so, and it's quite a different game than at first release. Just the base game has lots of mysteries--with nothing labeled, "Pick this one." If you like it, you can get some DLC at the Christmas sale.

I'm a little put off by the sheer size of it, not to mention this blog post.

Quote:
Master of Orion - Conquer the Stars seems okay, though it didn't snag me the way Master of Orion II: Battle at Antares did. MoO3 should be avoided at all costs.

Yeah, I've glanced at the new MOO from time to time, but I still enjoy MOO (and MOO2) enough that I can wait for Remnants of the Precursors to be done.

Quote:
Someone recommended Endless Sky which is now free. I haven't tried it yet, but it's apparently a run your spaceship around and upgrade it sandbox game.

Hadn't heard of that one. But I was half tempted, again, to go for Endless Space 2. Trouble is, I have ES1 and ran into some things I didn't care for, and I don't know if it'd be worth it to try again with the updated version. Maybe I'll watch a video or two.

Quote:
Slay the Spire seems mechanically good, but thematically appalling (to me). The theme just seems random.

I watched a trailer for it the other day, and it did look like a confusing mess. But I hear it's an excellent game. Again, I've never found a deck-builder I liked much, though.

Quote:
With all but perhaps Endless Sky, YouTube Let's Plays are available.

Yeah, I should remember that more often. When I do watch videos, they're usually for games I already own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.