Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
87 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » Bazaar » Hot Deals

Subject: Steam Summer Sale 2019 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Chamoy
United States
Hollywood
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
paralipsis wrote:
As a Battletech player from the 80s, I found the mechanics to be very satisfying. There are quite a few alterations from the game as I knew it, but not in a way that undermines the feel of the pen and paper ruleset. I really disliked the campaign design though, so I never managed to get more than a few missions in before giving up on it.

The Let's Plays I watched may have been in a sandbox, do-what-you-want setting, rather than a scripted campaign. I recall the player having a lot of choice of missions, and he could take his drop ship to any star system.

I dislike campaigns, too, generally.

The game plays with fixed story missions existing alongside procedurally generated ones. You can choose missions most of the time, but the structure of the game is that you do mercenary missions for the cash and other resources, and you do the story missions to progress the plot.

They updated the game to version 1.3 at the beginning of this year to add a free "Career Mode" that removes the scripted campaign and gives you a ship, a random set of mechs and pilots then dumps you in some backwater system and asks you to make your own fortune. It's exactly the sandbox mode you're asking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the Steam event works like this:

* buy things to get "potential" points ($1 => 100 pts)
* consume achievements (or do tasks) to convert potential points into actual points
* the boost button adds points to your team's score (up to 1000 at a time)
* adding points earns the same number of tokens to spend in the pit stop shop

The consume achievements thing uses games you've played 30m "recently", and when you select a game it burns the whole pile of achievements, whether you have space for it or not (spoiler: you won't have space).

Edit: Earning any new achievements will automatically consume them as you earn them, meaning you lose the opportunity for points if you don't have enough "potential" points to convert.

You get 100 potential points per day without buying, which is basically worthless. The language talks about points deliberately confusingly and misleadingly. In short, you need to have spent around $150 and done the appropriate points conversion and spending over several days in order to get $5 off something, but the spending does count past purchases over some period (not as far back as the Winter sale).

I don't know how the "attacks" work--they're always gray when I notice them.

I haven't the slightest idea what the teams are actually competing on. The display looks like it shows "speed", but the language also talks about distance, which doesn't seem visible anywhere if it's actually a thing.

Osirus wrote:
In other words, you actually have much better odds of winning if you're on the second or even third place team than first.

Yeah, but the attacks make the second and third place teams basically arbitrary. My team was displayed solidly second most of the day, then dropped clear down to 1x throughout the night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
I haven't the slightest idea what the teams are actually competing on. The display looks like it shows "speed", but the language also talks about distance, which doesn't seem visible anywhere if it's actually a thing.

and I think the multiplier is a contributing factor but it doesn't say how.
I can confirm that I have seen that other info 'clearly' spelled out.
In the end I think I just have to shrug off trying to bother with it. Not sure how this ended up so junkie when I thought the other sale gimmicks were at least clear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
[Games discussion: no Steam details here.]

Patrick Carroll wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
The thing I don't like about GC2 is that it gives you "ethical choices" between "good" and "evil"--and they're labeled--so it turns the game (to me) into a simplistic, childish morality play.

That wouldn't bother me. I'm used to it in Age of Wonders III, and I love that game. (The only thing that bothers me a little is that if you're "dedicated to neutral," you have to alternate between good and evil deeds to keep the balance. I'd rather just stay detached from the extremes.)

I like AoW3, too, and I agree that trying to stay labeled neutral is like dancing on a knife-edge; but it seems to me that your alignment doesn't really matter much. You can be good and just play neutral, or the opposite.

Patrick Carroll wrote:
I'm a little put off by the sheer size of [Stellaris], not to mention this blog post.

As the blog post says:

A good number of people, perhaps even a majority, are happy with the changes in the game’s design direction (assuming the technical issues are fixed).

Some people liked the three FTL modes, but I think most people didn't. I didn't dislike being able to choose among them, but I always chose jumplanes (a graph) because it simplified things for the AI if no one else. This is mostly the only method now.

The problem with the threefold FTL "system" was that you were trying to deal with two alternative maps you couldn't see or interact with until mid-game (at least), and a stack of doom could rip through your systems without you having any chance whatsoever of following it, much less catching it. MoO1 had the stack of doom problem, but at least it was using the same map you were and you could try to intercept it. MoO2 had better and more interesting options, if a little artificial.

Thinking about it, it's not unlike the stacks of doom in Scapa Flow and Wilhelmshaven glaring at each other over the North Sea. What no 4X game I can think of does is impose the political equation that made the US snapping up Canada in WWI quite impossible and counter-productive because of the strong US-Canada alliance. Flimsy casus belli hardly reflect that reality.

As far as the new economics, MoO1 and MoO2 simplified to food, industry, and research. I think that's a fine model that keeps economics from dominating the game. Stellaris is more complex with several kind of industry and science, and strategic materials. This generally works fine, I think, though rarely I'm boxed into a game I just don't want to play--like any other random map 4X game, be it MoO2 or Civ--Europa Universalis (etc.) lets you know what you're getting into if you know your history. But Stellaris is manageable, not the total mess of over-intricate systems like Starfire (1992). That flow chart might be the program design, but you don't need to know it to pull the more alloys lever in the game. It might be worth your time to watch a Let's Play of this year's version; added DLC would add stories not change basics.

The newly implemented planet and sector system should drop micro down to MoO2 levels. I haven't played with it yet, so I'll see when I do. The producer was very insistent that (in MoO2 terms) mineral rich, farming, and research worlds would be those kinds of worlds no matter the sector they were in.

(Related to the blog discussion of MoO you linked, in MoO2 you can just put a planet on autobuild, then revisit it once the infrastructure is built and move the population to make it a research or farming world; you can do this from the colonies "spreadsheet" view. If you want to save $3 per non-production world, you can then delete the anti-polution buildings. One thing I'll criticize MoO2 and many other games for is copying the Civ lots-of-buildings paradigm. Stellaris at least replaces old buildings with new, but the MoO1 slider system had its virtues, though I prefer MoO2 otherwise. What a huge "galaxy" gives you in MoO2 is more races and more interesting, to me, geography; with planet automation, there's little additional micro. If you really hate micro, play a lithovore--no farming.)

I think a lot of people wanted EU (or Crusader Kings) in space, and Stellaris is not that. It's not just a 4X game, but a 4X game with many stories laid on top to keep the game from just being another mechanical 4X game. It's much more an experiential game than a strict 4X game. While MoO2 had the space monsters and the Antarans, Stellaris has a lot more going on in the story side of the game.

I'd criticize Stellaris for requiring the user to choose a too-complex, multi-faceted morality (not the ignorable good-neutal-evil of AoW3) and having every empire act like angst-ridden teenagers; Stellaris needs a dose of Realpolitik. Still, if you look at some historical wars, you wonder if Stellaris doesn't get it exactly right. (By contrast, in MoO2 if you go too wide or too tall, the AI just stomps you--which seems historically correct.)

Stellaris also has some artificial limits, like MoO2's command points. I find Influence especially artificial. You can have the people, money, a built construction ship and colony ship, but you need "influence" to grab another system. It feels like they're dragging in this EU(?) artifact because they couldn't get the economy right.

Still, if you like the Science Fiction story experience, Stellaris is good for that despite its complexities and artificialities.

Patrick Carroll wrote:
Quote:
Slay the Spire seems mechanically good, but thematically appalling (to me). The theme just seems random.

I watched a trailer for it the other day, and it did look like a confusing mess. But I hear it's an excellent game. Again, I've never found a deck-builder I liked much, though.

Each character comes with its own set of cards and structure of play. But like vampires and Cthulhu, which I'm utterly bored with, I find nothing to like in the first place of StS's blank-sheet (lack of) mythos; you can't have a mythos without some underlying culture more than moldy cheese in the programmers' refrigerator.

Patrick Carroll wrote:
Quote:
With all but perhaps Endless Sky, YouTube Let's Plays are available.

Yeah, I should remember that more often. When I do watch videos, they're usually for games I already own.

For the YouTubers I like (not too slow or artificial), I find their playthroughs a good way to find games, as well to experience games I'd just find too annoying to play, like EU and maybe Civ6, and to find out what various DLCs do--recent Cities: Skylines expansions seem too "gamey", adding game play where I want a simulation sandbox. And to get a handle on games that would just take more time than I have to learn by trial and error, like Surviving Mars or RimWorld, both good but unforgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
and I think the multiplier is a contributing factor but it doesn't say how.

If I were guessing, the multiplier should be speed. When you convert points, you should be adding multiplier (nitro points) and then the points you convert go in as distance, multiplied by your team multiplier.

I'm thinking the bars are actually supposed to be showing us the distance that teams are being scored on, but the display doesn't really work usefully with how much bigger Corgi is than everyone else. They should have written distance numbers at the heads of the bars, so we could tell something was happening.

It's a weird game idea, since it's not really something we can do much with: more than extremely token participation seems to require purchasing on a somewhat unrealistic scale. I guess it's just for the whales out there.

---

As far as talk about real games, I picked up Senko no Ronde 2, since its complete edition dropped under $20, and we added a second Galacide for my partner's account, since it's 50 cents. Templar Battleforce is still hovering around maybe.

Senko no Ronde is a kind of neat shmup fighting game I've been meaning to get for a while (we have the 360 version a previous series game that got called "WarTech" in the English market).

Galacide is a bizarre little gem where you play a very light shmup combined with a match-4 puzzle game. Basically, you destroy enemies to get blocks, then you grab them with your ship and fire them forward to place them, with a few nice little mechanical gimmicks, like point-blanking a block to switch its color in-place and clear similarly colored blocks touching your ship. It's a narrow game, but at $0.50, it's really worth a glance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
It's a weird game idea....

While I like the achievements for some games as targets to shoot for, they're really put in place by the developer, maybe at the behest of the publisher.

The Steam gamification with contests, cards, gems, ...--it's just noise as far as I see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
paralipsis wrote:
mafman6 wrote:
does anyone get this race thing?
did it really come down to I didn't click corgi?

from what I can tell your really only doing much if you buy games. I can't tell what your actually contributing and what your contributing to. What does seem clear is 300 people out of the top teams get a game gifted to them from the top of their wishlist. When top teams are calculated idk.

I have no idea. I even switched my Steam UI back to English, thinking that going back to my native language would help. But I still don't get it.

A friend and I were talking about how convoluted and confusing it is. I just need something simple, please. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
The only good thing about this 'game' is that you can redeem tokens to increase your Steam level. If you were lacking the ability to have enough Steam friends, you can now easily get a high Steam rank.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
more news on the effects of steam's mini game
https://www.techspot.com/news/80712-steam-idea-grand-prix-ga...

basically indi developers are seeing a massive spike in wishlist deletions as players try to capitalize/prep for winning a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mafman6 wrote:
more news on the effects of steam's mini game
https://www.techspot.com/news/80712-steam-idea-grand-prix-ga...

basically indi developers are seeing a massive spike in wishlist deletions as players try to capitalize/prep for winning a game.

Thanks for that. Steam now has a podium for your top 3 wishlist games, though why would you buy them if you hope to win them?

I think they'd do better just giving away top rated indie games. It seems to me that they generate a lot more excitement than Bog Standard FPS XIX.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
though why would you buy them if you hope to win them?

Why would you wishlist them if you were buying them? There's zero chance of me buying the top three on my wishlist, at least for another year or so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What's "story" got to do with it?
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
I'm a little put off by the sheer size of [Stellaris], not to mention this blog post.

As the blog post says:
A good number of people, perhaps even a majority, are happy with the changes in the game’s design direction (assuming the technical issues are fixed).

Well, I don't know what the game was like before the changes. But I'm finding out what it's like now, as I just bought it the other day.

The three kinds of FTL travel (in the earlier Stellaris), btw, remind me of Sword of the Stars--a game I like but can't play due to the 3D map (and tech tree) and designed-for-multiplayer features.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Tall_Walt wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:

As the blog post says:

Well, I don't know what the game was like before the changes. But I'm finding out what it's like now, as I just bought it the other day.

I hope you enjoy it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wound up buying No Man's Sky, Project Cars 2, and Return of the Obra Dinn. So far I've only booted up PC2 to calibrate my wheel and stuff, but I'm looking forward to playing the other two, especially now that NMS is what it was supposed to be 3 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went into NMS like you. It is a HUGE disappointment. It is an inventory juggler. That's what you do 50% of the game: juggle your inventory. I am dead serious. It is an awful experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
I went into NMS like you. It is a HUGE disappointment. It is an inventory juggler. That's what you do 50% of the game: juggle your inventory. I am dead serious. It is an awful experience.

Yeah. No disrespect to people who actually enjoy it, but I found it a soulless experience, both at launch as well as when they were done adding all the new features. The one they they never addressed is that there was no skeleton holding all the parts together.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All this NMS discusion spurred me to boot up Starbound again tonight. I still find that game very compelling. A little more on-rails than Terrarria, but also a little more charming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I respect your dislike for NMS, but for those interested in other opinions:
My kids and I enjoyed it very much and the only reason we currently do not play it every day is that there are other very good games, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Tubb
United States
Fuquay Varina
NC
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't like No Man's Sky when it released, but I'd love to try it again once it gets VR support, and with some mods to make it less tedious, or just in creative mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
I respect your dislike for NMS, but for those interested in other opinions:
My kids and I enjoyed it very much and the only reason we currently do not play it every day is that there are other very good games, too.

I can see where other people can find fun in NMS. It's not a broken mess by any stretch of the imagination, but I bounced off it so hard I felt like the designers were completely different people to me and saw gaming as a completely different experience than I do. I only played for a couple of hours after each major patch, because that's how long I could go without questioning if there was anything I found entertaining in the experience. I've rarely experienced a game that I felt like it should be good, yet almost every moment of play revealed a design choice that either frustrated me or left me uncomprehending as to what was intended. Hello Games and I simply don't speak the same game design language.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am actually interested in a VR mode for NMS, which I will then run in Creative mode. I liked the control of the space ship. Unfortunately you do so little of it, as you have to gather so many resources and construct so many items before you can take off, and then you fly a bit before you are forced to land again and once more go collecting resources.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Doubt the inventory stuff will bother me since that's how it was at launch as well, and at that time it was literally all you did since there were basically no other features. I actually enjoyed it at launch for the most part because I heard about the concept then stopped looking at any information for it. So I didn't have the disappointment and anger (that rightly came about) when it didn't deliver on what was promised. I was content to explore planets and catalog flora and fauna, but that unsurprisingly got old fast.

I think I was fortunate with my procedurally generated planets as well, as they seemed to be a lot less janky and generally more interesting than a lot of what I saw online, which admittedly was garbage town, for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Tilburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem with NMS is that it creates a universe for you to explore, and then throw a myriad of obstacles in your way that prevent you from exploration.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:
The only good thing about this 'game' is that you can redeem tokens to increase your Steam level. If you were lacking the ability to have enough Steam friends, you can now easily get a high Steam rank.

Thank you for giving me something (vaguely) useful to do with all these tokens. I didn’t really want emoticons I probably wouldn't use or backgrounds I definitely won't use, and I didn't realise the badge could be leveled up tons of times.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jesslc wrote:
Flyboy Connor wrote:

Thank you for giving me something (vaguely) useful to do with all these tokens. I didn’t really want emoticons I probably wouldn't use or backgrounds I definitely won't use, and I didn't realise the badge could be leveled up tons of times.

Yeah, I'm going to end the event less than halfway to the free $5 game coupon, so I guess it's levels for me as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.