Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
In games where you can name your character, do you use your real name? If not, how do you come up with a character name? Do you have any favorite names you’ve come up with?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What's "story" got to do with it?
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't use my real name--or anyone's. But if I'm thinking of myself or someone else, I'll keep the first letter of the name and then experiment with combinations of sounds and letters until I come up with something that sounds OK to me.

Recently I was creating a customized leader for Age of Wonders III, and I started with my wife's name, Sheralyn. But the character I created ended up with the name Sryxana, and now she reminds me of a woman I knew years ago who called herself Zanna.

Other times, I use or reuse a name from an RPG I played in the past. Way back in my Pool of Radiance days, I created a ranger named Silvagon. My wife bought me a statuette of Silvagon. And I also used the name for my half-elf ranger leader in Baldur's Gate.

When I needed a religious fanatic for AoW3 one time, the name Theodemus popped into my head, so I used it. The game called for a nickname or last name, so he became Theodemus, High and Mighty.

For an orc dreadnought in AoW3, I created a hulk named Bryk Balystyk.

Names are hard. Most have been used somewhere else, and it's disappointing to find out about that, so I want to come up with something original, but it takes work. And then half the time I end up thinking that whatever I came up with sounds stupid, but by then I'm stuck with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most of the time, especially when there are multiple different character types/classes available, I'll pull names for them from various book, TV show, movie, etc. characters that are semi-relevant. For example, an archer might get a name like Clint or Merida. Other times, it's a more generic name that directly refers to the character type itself, like Stabby McGee for an assassin or rogue.

I rarely use my own name, unless it's somehow directly attached to a username or somehow relevant outside of just the in-game dialog options.

The first time playing Ocarina of Time years ago I put in the name as "Mr. T", then promptly forgot about it, so it was amusing later seeing him referred to by name as the Hero of Time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I try to come up with something thematic. With games that give you a predetermined name that you can change I keep it at default. If it asks a name I typically go with a name from a decent/recent book I've read from a similar theme.
Online I try to use a name with maf as that is what my friends would recognize.
local multiplayer? Thats where the joke names come in and always a new one each game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Dyke
England
London, England.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've always gone with Lehdon if it was fantasy, Lee doesn't really seem to fit in otherwise.

True story, I have Rock Band on Xbox, I tried to use my real name 'Lee Dyke' and was unable to when pressing accept, instead being shown a phrase along the lines of "C'mon now, stay classy".

Still the only game I've been refused to enter my own name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't care for my real name, so I never use it. Also, most of the protagonists are male, so that doesn't work either (although I used to pretend they were female or at least non-binary though I didn't know the term at the time if they had long enough hair like with Ramza).

I've named characters after whatever show/movie characters I was into at the time, friends/crushes, or just names I liked in general. I've used Tolkien Elvish and online naming websites to come up with some names, but that's more for characters I customize and RPG characters. I sometimes use those names later, though. I reuse names that I've come up with for my RPG characters. Lately I've just been using default names because I didn't come up with anything.

I've been naming Ramza from FFT Wamza a bunch because I polled my Twitch community and that was what they came up with. In one run I named him and another random character that is just used for a proposition, "Delita" just to be confusing/for fun.

I don't really know if I have favorite names. Apparently I called the protagonist in Breath of Fire 3 Ryan, and I can't even remember why (I don't know anyone IRL with that name). Maybe I just wanted to rename him, but didn't have ideas and it was similar to the cannon name?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leemundo wrote:
True story, I have Rock Band on Xbox, I tried to use my real name 'Lee Dyke' and was unable to when pressing accept, instead being shown a phrase along the lines of "C'mon now, stay classy".

LOL. I once committed an embarrassing faux pas by creating a "Master Bates." When it was rejected, I suddenly realized why. Later, I found that's a name Charles Dickens uses in one of his novels. Apparently people's minds worked differently in the 19th century (or else Dickens was pulling a sly one on his readers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
Wordplay using historical figures, adjectives, or onomatopoeia. Also it usually helps to survey the crowd if there is anyone home at the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use Cat.

It's short, it's simple, and I like cats.

Sometimes I'll use Mysti. It's been my online tag since the '80s.

Bioware games are a different story or anything that's supposed to be an RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Historical figures, Anime characters, Book characters. Rarely my name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
I often use Sunjih, a name I made for a character in a story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I rarely use my real name.

Often I stare at the screen for 30 minutes wondering why the decision requires this level of forethought. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I oft name my character Osirus, which is basically my real name on the Internet. But I also often pick a different name. Depends on mood (and whether I feel like playing a male main character).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll sometimes just use my name if I'm playing a hidden object game with my wife and need to call the profile something.

If I'm playing a game by myself, I'll make use of the game's random name feature several times (should one exist) or cycle between one of a few internet names I use.

Or I've decided to play an MMO and I have to go by some iteration of "Buzzin. Buzzin Frog. Born on the shores of the Euro Larvae River in Rapala."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
If it's a modern-ish setting yes, but otherwise I've always had a knack for fantasy/sci-fi names. Not really sure where it comes, though I have read and played a lot from those genres.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I use Roman and Greek names or a combination of in games where I can name my own character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I never use my real name, or nickname, or any of that.

I love creating names for characters, planets, kingdoms, worlds...

I use names I think would work for the characters, some from lists I've made of historical names, others are created on the fly, others from name lists online. For me, names are an important part of my character's identity and so they are unique.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Leemundo wrote:

LOL. I once committed an embarrassing faux pas by creating a "Master Bates." When it was rejected, I suddenly realized why. Later, I found that's a name Charles Dickens uses in one of his novels. Apparently people's minds worked differently in the 19th century (or else Dickens was pulling a sly one on his readers).
It's also a character in a children's TV show I used to watch called Captain Pugwash, along with Seaman Stains.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Leemundo wrote:

It's also a character in a children's TV show I used to watch called Captain Pugwash, along with Seaman Stains.

Hmph! So those are the kinds of shows you Kiwis let your kids watch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Leemundo wrote:

I used to watch it when I was a kid in the 70s, in England. I liked it!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Pugwash
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Leemundo wrote:

I used to watch it when I was a kid in the 70s, in England. I liked it!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Pugwash

Well, then it seems the suspicious names are an urban legend, according to the article:
"There is a persistent urban legend, repeated by the now defunct UK newspaper the Sunday Correspondent, that ascribes sexually suggestive names – such as Master Bates, Seaman Staines, and Roger (meaning "have sex with") the Cabin Boy – to Captain Pugwash's characters, and indicating that the captain's name was a slang Australian term for oral sex. The origin of this myth is likely due to student rag mags from the 1970s.

"John Ryan successfully sued both the Sunday Correspondent and The Guardian newspapers in 1991 for printing this legend as fact."

Master Charley Bates, from Oliver Twist, is more problematic:
"Charley is regularly referred to as 'Master Bates.' Whether this is an intentional pun on 'masturbates' is disputed. The word existed at the time, derived from the Latin verb masturbari, but it was relatively obscure, and it is not recorded as a verb until 1857, 19 years after the novel was published. Edward Le Comte considered it to be a Freudian slip. John Sutherland considered it to be too puerile, a 'schoolboy joke,' to be intentional, since Dickens' use of names is generally much more sophisticated."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
Depends. If I'm not being serious I'll use Gerdion or Kibbles. If I'm doing an RP run I'll try and come up with a new name off the top of my head that seems to fit the setting.

If I'm doing anything with a character created for an online MMO of some kind I'll use Kibbles these days, just so I can tie it back here. Pre-VGG days it was Gerdion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leemundo wrote:

Somebody on Reddit posted a screenshot prompting him to please pick a name for his guild.

His name was "my dick"
That backfired when the game's response was "please pick something longer" laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite name I came up with was Galaxia, one of my shelved boardgame/comic characters I then used in some CRPG's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course I went all the way through Planescape: Torment as the Nameless One.

If I'm stuck someday, I might choose Ruby Tuesday because of the line "Who could hang a name on you?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.