Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
What did the left eye say to the right eye? Between you and me, something smells.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I used my real name once in a Sim. The other 1000 times, it was a name that fit the theme of the game and type of character I wanted to play. The character got something heroic sounding if I intended to play heroically. It got a silly name if I intended to play with abandon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sudo Dudaković
Bosnia and Herzegovina
flag msg tools
Looking of wrong spot. Blink, blink.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I rarely use my real name.

Often I stare at the screen for 30 minutes wondering why the decision requires this level of forethought. blush

This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
I very very rarely play games where I have to name the characters, but when I do, I never use my real name (except in cases where the game tells me to enter a name for saving slot purposes). Instead, I spend a while trying to come up with something. In World of Warcraft, it took me quite the while until I came up with Rodvitner (from Norse mythology) and later on Wolendi (completely made up). I try to put on some randomizer of sounds that sound plausible for the game type and then choose between the strange combinations that occur.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:

Often I stare at the screen for 30 minutes wondering why the decision requires this level of forethought. blush

I think I spent more time trying to pick a name for my Skyrim character than I did naming my daughter.

As for names, when I was younger, I would use my first name in JRPGs like Suikoden that didn't have a Hero name. When I got old, I started using the name "Hiro" in JRPGs.

If the game has a default, I just stick with that usually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Never use my real name. I prefer it when you can just randomly generate a name or there's a default name. If not I'll just pick something silly or enter a few characters. Exception being in a multi-player game, where I'll put more thought into it.

If its a single player game and I have to enter a character name, that's a hit against it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
StormKnight wrote:
I prefer it when you can just randomly generate a name or there's a default name.

I like how NIS (and NISA) allowed fans to submit names to be used in the random name generator of the Disgaea games. Those names not only show up when randomly selecting a name for your characters, but also in the Item World battles, which is pretty hilarious at times.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:

I think I spent more time trying to pick a name for my Skyrim character than I did naming my daughter.
Yeah well obviously it's gonna be quicker if you just choose a name you've used before...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If a name is already provided, then I just use that. More thematic, and helps me be on the same page when discussing the game with others. Examples include the Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, Secret Of Mana 1 & 2, Wanderers From Ys, and 7th Saga.

If I have to pick a name (ie entry is blank), then I'll go by what I am. For example, in Diablo, the class of what I am. "Rogue" for Rogue, "Sorcerer" for Sorcerer, and "Warrior" for warrior. Not terribly creative, but it gets the job done, and it was arbitrary anyways.

If there's nothing else to go on, then I'll use my own name.

EDIT: also, there are some Easter eggs/cheat codes associated with names.
For example, for Legend Of Zelda: Link's Awakening, "ZELDA" in all caps plays some neat remix of the LoZ BGM theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I do not use my own name. I don't know how I come up with names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
If a name is already provided, then I just use that. More thematic, and helps me be on the same page when discussing the game with others. Examples include the Final Fantasies, Chrono Trigger, Secret Of Mana 1 & 2, Wanderers From Ys, and 7th Saga.
Secret of Mana doesn't give you default names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
flaeryn wrote:

The Japanese version did. Or rather, they were named in the manual.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
Zimeon wrote:
flaeryn wrote:

Oh this is a big * for me. If characters already have names but the game gives me the option to name them... yeah... they are gonna keep the names on their birth certificates. No question.

The last thing I need is one line of stray dialogue to mix it all up. Then all the characters get confused and the protagonist gets all conflicted and angst ridden because I hid his true name from him. Talk about ruining immersion... whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What's "story" got to do with it?
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
middletonner wrote:
Oh this is a big * for me. If characters already have names but the game gives me the option to name them... yeah... they are gonna keep the names on their birth certificates. No question.

That's what happened with our first two cats. The woman at the shelter said their names were Smudge and Fancy, "But of course you can change them if you want." Smudge and Fancy they remained. (Though my wife extended one to "Mr. Smudgington Smythe" and the other to "Little Miss Fancy Pants.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
middletonner wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
flaeryn wrote:

The last thing I need is one line of stray dialogue to mix it all up. Then all the characters get confused and the protagonist gets all conflicted and angst ridden because I hid his true name from him. Talk about ruining immersion... whistle

Some games also give you bonuses or unlock extra content if you use their given name rather than changing it... that's the case with your daughter in Princess Maker 2. You can name her anything... but you get special events if you name her the name she goes by on the box (or in the dev code).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
adularia25 wrote:
middletonner wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
flaeryn wrote:

Some games also give you bonuses or unlock extra content if you use their given name rather than changing it... that's the case with your daughter in Princess Maker 2. You can name her anything... but you get special events if you name her the name she goes by on the box (or in the dev code).

That is a pretty cool idea! But if done wrong could opens the door to some comedy, too. "I call you by your true name, and thus awake your ultimate hidden power. Behold, a new costume!!!!"

Game with this kind of thing would make for a pretty useful geeklist if anyone knows several that do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
People using real names are absolutely bizarre to me. It would never even occur to me to use my real name for a game character. They aren't me. For a profile or save slot kind of thing, maybe, but even then I don't quite like it.

I make up names, though sometimes I consult lists if I want names with a certain background. I generally try a bunch of names looking for the one that feels right to me. One of my more preferred character names from the past is Li'e'shidann, from a tabletop RPG, which I rarely re-use for video games because it looks a fair bit poorer written down.

Because I have lists handy, here are my Diablo 3 characters: Gar Kortano, Yit Nijkruub, Qaav Paxderu, Trax Oshyras, Rao He Tsuul, Rasta Lujrax, Vekrat Duuth, Jaxti Bikmir, Kai Shin Mao, Fysral Eglos.

And my Guild Wars 2 names: Rixan Venya, Maximilian Mawlock, Negotiator Toccra, Lucelienn, Ingibjorg Nysnöspår, Ivrodan Torana, Astridh Skaredottir.

And then there's our Sacred 2 roster, where all the names are horrible phonetic bastardizations of insulting descriptions, like the inquisitor Haettsyvribadi ("hates everybody"), the seraphim (kind of a mecha-angel-cheerleader race/class) Slatskimcdhumy ("slut-ski mac do me"), the warrior Szaumbhiidhued ("zombie dude"), or the other seraphim, Kyamphaukkmii.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
xethair wrote:
People using real names are absolutely bizarre to me.

I usually make up names for most games, but in a sports game, I always use my real name, assuming it's a career mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What's "story" got to do with it?
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
xethair wrote:

I usually make up names for most games, but in a sports game, I always use my real name, assuming it's a career mode.

Let's see--if I follow it, that means you're absolutely bizarre when you choose a name for career mode in a sports game. Right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
xethair wrote:

Let's see--if I follow it, that means you're absolutely bizarre when you choose a name for career mode in a sports game. Right?

Just to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
xethair wrote:

Everybody's bizarre in career mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Central Coast
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first time I play through a game my will usually be 'Verdigris.' Subsequent plays will almost always be named V-something. Sometimes I will use real names (like 'Victoria' for a female character) and sometimes I will make something up.

On games like Dark Souls, where I might have different save files for different classes, I will select the name to indicate what the goal is for that save. 'VRings' when I was going for the rings trophy in DSIII, 'VDex' if I am aiming for a dexterity build, 'VPyro' was a pyromancer.

If I just want a short name I'll use 'V97.'

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Jaconetti
United States
Simpsonville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I typically use my own name. I have the advantage of having a name short enough (4 letters) to be entered in just about any game.

Funny story about character naming. A friend of mine, Scott, was playing a Breath of Fire game, or some JRPG, for one system or another. He tried to name the main character Scott, and the main character's sister Rebecca, but both names were rejected. Curious, he called support and when describing the problem, joked, "What, you guys don't like Jewish names?" (Scott and his sister both being Jews)

This FREAKED OUT the service agent. She immediately denied it and escalated to her supervisor, who also assured Scott over and over that there was no restriction on names of Jewish or Hebrew origin, only that "Scott" and "Rebecca" were names of NPCs later in the game. Scott was not sure if he had touched a nerve, or if they had received similar complaints before, or what not. But I will always remember that story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.