The Hotness
Games|People|Company
Gloomhaven
Terraforming Mars
Bananagrams (2019)
Artifact
Legends of Andor
Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
What type of combat system do you prefer in games? Does it vary by game genre?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
What type of combat system do you prefer in games? Does it vary by game genre?

Fast or Engaging. Either will do, both (although rare) is phenomenal. Neither gets annoying.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Krzysztof Zięba
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Check out my first published board game: In the Name of Odin!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It sure does vary from genre to genre. If it's strategic, I prefer it turn-based. If it's supposed to be visceral, then fast-paced real-time combat takes the cake.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
United States
West Union
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heavily engaging, with interesting options that depend on and interact with enemies.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Turn based. I'm always worried I'll do something really awkward in any action RPG that'll cause me to die, especially if it's 3D and I also have to control the camera. I like both the classic RPG combat like that in FFVII and the FFT style where there's also an environment to move around. I liked FFXIII's hybrid type combat also, although the tradeoff was manually controlling only one character. It didn't move too fast for me.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
+1 on turn-based strategies. Unless the game requires simultaneous play like Stellaris when I play multi-player with my8 family members.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Typically something fast and visceral but that requires some thought, like Bayonetta or Devil May Cry.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also a fan of turn based combat, especially in RPGs and strategy games. I like to take my time and think about my moves. I do enjoy an action RPG from time to time, but turn based will always be my go-to.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
Avatar
mb
Depends on the game genre heavily. I don't have a preference in the general case though, the most important thing is if the combat system aligns with the game mechanics.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"I press a button and I do an attack" sort of system IF AND ONLY IF the developper can make a good control scheme of the character, and that includes that I can see and move and turn quickly in all four directions (third person perspective).

If you can't do that, then do a turn-based system. I'm looking at you, Elder Scrolls I–IV.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty much varies game by game. I'm not sure what my favorite is, since I play games with a pretty wide range of different combat types, from turn based, to real-time, to tapping a screen...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Whatever the kind of combat system is called that they have in

The Talos Principle
Journey (2012)
The Witness (2016)
Portal (2007)
Portal 2

and games like that...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't really have a preference.

What I definitely DON'T like is when you control one character, and have several NPC allies or party members who are programmed to "help" you according to whatever sloppy/imprecise/insufficient parameters.

Ni No Kuni, Final Fantasy XV, etc.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I don't really have a preference.

What I definitely DON'T like is when you control one character, and have several NPC allies or party members who are programmed to "help" you according to whatever sloppy/imprecise/insufficient parameters.

Ni No Kuni, Final Fantasy XV, etc.


Dragon Age?
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
I don't really have a preference.

What I definitely DON'T like is when you control one character, and have several NPC allies or party members who are programmed to "help" you according to whatever sloppy/imprecise/insufficient parameters.

Ni No Kuni, Final Fantasy XV, etc.


Dragon Age?


Actually a big part of why I stopped playing Dragon Age.

As I understand it, on PC, you can play it as a more traditional tactical game with precise control of every character. You can't do that on consoles.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
I don't really have a preference.

What I definitely DON'T like is when you control one character, and have several NPC allies or party members who are programmed to "help" you according to whatever sloppy/imprecise/insufficient parameters.

Ni No Kuni, Final Fantasy XV, etc.

OMGs yes! I hate that! It's why I sacrificed Lydia to a Daedra in Skyrim, since she kept getting in my way in fights!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
"I press a button and I do an attack" sort of system IF AND ONLY IF the developper can make a good control scheme of the character, and that includes that I can see and move and turn quickly in all four directions (third person perspective).

If you can't do that, then do a turn-based system. I'm looking at you, Elder Scrolls I–IV.


Why not V? I dont play any of them in third person...



Notable ones for me are the Time Unit system for X-com UFO defense.
D&D turned based like KotC, Dark Sun and ToEE.
Souls games of course, though I would get rid of the roll or change it... The games should focus more on stamina, armor penetration and stances.
SMT's Push Turn system is a stand out, theres a reason all thier games have it...
XCOM's two action cover system worked really well too.


I loathe timed ability recharges like in Diablo III or MMO's... there was another I really disliked... cant think of it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
JohnRayJr wrote:
I don't really have a preference.

What I definitely DON'T like is when you control one character, and have several NPC allies or party members who are programmed to "help" you according to whatever sloppy/imprecise/insufficient parameters.

Ni No Kuni, Final Fantasy XV, etc.


Dragon Age?


Actually a big part of why I stopped playing Dragon Age.

As I understand it, on PC, you can play it as a more traditional tactical game with precise control of every character. You can't do that on consoles.
Certainly in Dragon Age Origins you couldn't do turn based on console, but they did have an interesting "programming" system where you could customise the AI a lot.

In Dragon Age Inquisition I think the turn-based is doable on consoles (I haven't been using it), although there have been some complaints about the camera. But moving the cursor with the analog might get old.

Mass Effect of course had barely-controllable squadmates, you could only control their powers really, occasionally their position. Didn't rub you up the wrong way?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:

Mass Effect of course had barely-controllable squadmates, you could only control their powers really, occasionally their position. Didn't rub you up the wrong way?


Fair question, but what ended up happening for me is that I felt like Mass Effect is only pretending to have a class system for the main character.

Why? Because you have precise control over your squadmate's powers. Tali on Tech, Liara on Biotics, Shepard on firearms. If you play it that way you sort of convert it back into a full-control party-based game. It doesn't really matter where your squadmates are or how they run around, especially because it's easy to get HP-regen on everyone's equipment.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MeteorBear wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
"I press a button and I do an attack" sort of system IF AND ONLY IF the developper can make a good control scheme of the character, and that includes that I can see and move and turn quickly in all four directions (third person perspective).

If you can't do that, then do a turn-based system. I'm looking at you, Elder Scrolls I–IV.


Why not V? I dont play any of them in third person...


I haven't seen Skyrim and thus I don't know if the controls are clunky or not. In Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion, I felt like a war tank with sloppy controls, and the fighting was so ridiculous that I immediately quit the game.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
MeteorBear wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
"I press a button and I do an attack" sort of system IF AND ONLY IF the developper can make a good control scheme of the character, and that includes that I can see and move and turn quickly in all four directions (third person perspective).

If you can't do that, then do a turn-based system. I'm looking at you, Elder Scrolls I–IV.


Why not V? I dont play any of them in third person...


I haven't seen Skyrim and thus I don't know if the controls are clunky or not. In Daggerfall, Morrowind and Oblivion, I felt like a war tank with sloppy controls, and the fighting was so ridiculous that I immediately quit the game.


lol, yeah, the fighting isnt exactly graceful.
Morrowind you have some agility stats that naturally improve, so by the end you wont feel as tankish. My guy has gotten so fast I kinda wish I could slow him down just a little.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe it gets better. In Oblivion, I found myself, "clicking mouse button to swing weapon, then moving forward, to time so that I was in reach when the weapon was to "hit", and then move back again, rinse and repeat".

And then: Seeing the screen churn, and not knowing what happens, turn around and see nothing, and then turn around another 90° seeing a goblin eat at me. I felt like "Shouldn't I, you know, sort of realize that a goblins in chewing on my right shoulder?". Since then, I've hated first-person perspective, thinking it to be highly unrealistic. After all, in real life, I do see things that are behind me.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Maybe it gets better. In Oblivion, I found myself, "clicking mouse button to swing weapon, then moving forward, to time so that I was in reach when the weapon was to "hit", and then move back again, rinse and repeat".

And then: Seeing the screen churn, and not knowing what happens, turn around and see nothing, and then turn around another 90° seeing a goblin eat at me. I felt like "Shouldn't I, you know, sort of realize that a goblins in chewing on my right shoulder?". Since then, I've hated first-person perspective, thinking it to be highly unrealistic. After all, in real life, I do see things that are behind me.


Our hearing gives us 360 degrees of information, I wish more games would do a minimap based on sound.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.