Vietnam ‘65
Atlantic Fleet
Mansions of Madness
Evolution (2019)
Artifact
Baba is You
Peregrin
One Deck Dungeon
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Ganz Schön Clever
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Godhood
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Fort Sumter: Secession Crisis
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Save at any time
Skippable/Pausable/Replayable cutscenes
Subtitles
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:

The ability to replay cutscenes you've already seen. Or a way to make sure you don't accidentally skip them by clicking an extra button.

This is important. I can't remember any examples off the top of my head, but I've played some games where the start button pressed just once is what skipped the cutscene.

You have to wonder if the people who designed those games had ever taken a class on user interface design.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Customizable controls
2. In-depth tutorial
3. Cloud save or easy access to save files for archival
4. DRM-Free (Too extreme? Let's say non-invasive DRM like steam then).
5. Support for basic controllers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
One thing that I completely forgot, but that has bugged me for years

A BOOKLET MANUAL FOR A PACKAGED GAME!

Goddammit, printing a little tiny booklet costs you like $0.1. It's so super-cheap to just include the little chip or disc or whatever. Include a goddamn manual, or some art of the game, or an interview with the creator or SOMETHING.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll: All of you who said "save at any time", do you have anything specific against a regular "suspend" (a save that deletes itself once you load it)?

I find suspends ticks all the right boxes: You can "save" anywhere, but you can't abuse it. Some games would lose part of their point with a save at any place, but a suspend won't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
Poll: All of you who said "save at any time", do you have anything specific against a regular "suspend" (a save that deletes itself once you load it)?

Dark Souls is sort of like this, but not quite.

You can save anywhere in Dark Souls by simply quitting the game, which saves it automatically, or by doing any number of trivial actions, which trigger a fresh save.

It would be more accurate to label Dark Souls as "saves constantly." What it does not allow you to do is manually load an older save.

It's perfect for Dark Souls, but would be a disaster for lots of other (excellent) games. I don't think there's one right way to go about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
- Subtitles

Yes! I always play with subtitles on - I read faster than I can listen to something. It's great when you can also click through the dialogue and don't have to wait for the audio to catch up to advance!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

I find suspends ticks all the right boxes: You can "save" anywhere, but you can't abuse it. Some games would lose part of their point with a save at any place, but a suspend won't.

Roguelikes do this - you can save at any time, and when you load up a save and play, when you save again, it overwrites the old save, so you never have more than one save at a time. I certainly don't mind it! (And you can get around it by save-scumming if you want.)

My main issue with not being able to save at any time, is that often life intrudes on my gaming time and I have to stop, immediately, to deal with things. Like my husband accidentally spilling cooking oil over the floor... and the games I own that have save point often don't have good pause functionality, so it's either get to a save point now... or quit out and redo everything up to that point later.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

If it functions the same way as a save would outside of it deleting itself, I think that’s probably what most of us actually meant. I just don’t want to have to go to a very specific location before I can “save” my progress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

Suspend would be fine. I just hate having to choose between leaving the game running and starting over again when I have to stop playing and can't find a save point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:

Admittedly, I'd like to "save anywhere" as a means to use them as save states like in emulators, and abuse them. That said, I've played puzzle games where if you die, you'll need to restart the entire zone. So that's 8 levels worth of them.

Otherwise, I don't mind. FWIW, *I* said I'd like to just "save". Not necessarily "save at any time".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What's "story" got to do with it?
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd prefer that games be short enough they don't need to be saved and reloaded. But if they're not, I want to save and reload them. And if they're very long, I want multiple save points so I won't have to start all over if something goes terribly wrong after many hours of play (unless it's a Roguelike game, where you're supposed to start over), but I don't like those so much now that there are Roguelites).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Harlekin wrote:
- Subtitles

Yes! I always play with subtitles on - I read faster than I can listen to something. It's great when you can also click through the dialogue and don't have to wait for the audio to catch up to advance!
I have mixed feelings about subtitles. They do mean that I get more information, and it doesn't matter if my kids are being noisy. But I tend to look at them too much and miss the acting and voice acting and the feel of what is going on. I actually prefer without subtitles, the pacing seems better. But I don't like missing stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Regarding saves: My problem is that I can never tell how long I can continue to play. The moment where I have to quit the game within seconds can come every second. Real life issues are always more important than games. No matter what. It would be great if games (or their devs) would understand that. No one would dare to make a movie stream that you can't pause (beside regular TV where it is a technical issue). Image a book where the pages keep on turning until the end of the chapter. Or you had to restart at the beginning of the chapter each time you put it down.

I understand that some devs are getting butt hurt if someone tries to subvert their idea of perfect gameplay but in case of singleplayer games every player should be able to tune it to his liking. Just add a warning to the game that this is not how it is meant to be played and be done with it.

In Kingdom Come: Deliverance for example you could buy some alcohol which would allow you to save at any point. But using it would make you drunk and fail at almost all skill checks, making it near impossible to use it for save scumming. It was a compromise but later on I installed the "save anytime" mod and the game was better for it. Not because I abused it (I didn't) but because I could start a new quest whenever I wanted without looking at the clock. It made for a more relaxed game and didn't introduce meta-problems into the story. "Sorry, I can't save the princess now, dinner is ready in ten minutes."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
My main issue with not being able to save at any time, is that often life intrudes on my gaming time and I have to stop, immediately, to deal with things. Like my husband accidentally spilling cooking oil over the floor... and the games I own that have save point often don't have good pause functionality, so it's either get to a save point now... or quit out and redo everything up to that point later.

A suspend would do the same trick, no? I haven't been used to suspends much, but after I got the Switch, I really see the point, and they work wonders for insta-breaks.

For some games, I really appreciate that you can NOT save at all times. It gives the games a tension. For other games, I really appreciate that you CAN save at all times – especially roleplaying-game like adventure games (such as Dragon Age that I'm playing now). But I can't say it's something I want in every single game. I'm prone to "perfectionize" the game then, and save save save save save load save save save etc, and … I don't appreciate that kind of play. But if the ability is there, I'll probably use it. So for some games, I'm thankful that there is no insta-save. Suspends, though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
I understand that some devs are getting butt hurt if someone tries to subvert their idea of perfect gameplay but in case of singleplayer games every player should be able to tune it to his liking. Just add a warning to the game that this is not how it is meant to be played and be done with it.

But a suspend would do exactly what you want – let anyone pause the game at any given moment. I think what devs want to avoid isn't that people can "pause" the game at any point, but that they can load and re-load and re-load the same save game time and time again. For some games, this is detrimental. But to allow you to quit at any time, and then resume where you quit from, that won't harm any game that I can think of.

Not being able to neither save nor suspend, though, yeah, that sucks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really. If for example a savegame gets automatically deleted once it got loaded I will lose progress if I kill the app (via ALT+F4, which for example I have to do if a kids comes in (which should be in bed) when I play violent games) or it crashes. While it may be used for save scumming I just had to reload an older save today in XCOM (which allows it), because of an UI error. It misinterpreted my click, did the wrong thing, a character died. That is not a consequence I will accept. Many games how similar problems, where a simple "No, thanks" dialog option leads to killing a whole village. In such a case I want the option to undo those choices, because they didn't really mean what the game sugested (hello, LA Noire). Or you die because your controller ran out of battery (why doesn't every game pause then?!) or the cat ran over the keyboard etc etc. There are many scenarions where I would want to load an older savegame for valid non-scumming reasons.

Games could simply add a hardcore mode and be done with the problem. Crusader Kings 2 for example has a hardcore mode where savegames are encrypted, cheats are deactivated and where you can get achievements and IIRC you only have one savegame. If you don't want that, just don't play that mode. It is a good compromise to still give the achievements a meaning and still allowing players to save and load whenever they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
It should be reasonably convient to save, which depends on the type of game. Game saving should always be explicit, because I need a way to know which save I'm going back to when I load. This is different from the suspend/resume that is nessassary because life is more important than a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zimeon wrote:
For some games, I really appreciate that you can NOT save at all times. It gives the games a tension. For other games, I really appreciate that you CAN save at all times – especially roleplaying-game like adventure games (such as Dragon Age that I'm playing now). But I can't say it's something I want in every single game. I'm prone to "perfectionize" the game then, and save save save save save load save save save etc, and … I don't appreciate that kind of play. But if the ability is there, I'll probably use it.
The above is an excellent example of how players can and will optimize the fun out of your game if you don't stop them from doing it. Games are built around their systems, and a save function that allows players to save at any time introduces a lot of major design problems. Remember all those old PC games like The Elder Scrolls: Chapter II Daggerfall that have status effects that fundamentally function as instant death? The game would obviously structure itself differently if losing typically resulted in backtracking 40-70 minutes of progress.

Harlekin wrote:
If for example a savegame gets automatically deleted once it got loaded I will lose progress if I kill the app (via ALT+F4, which for example I have to do if a kids comes in (which should be in bed) when I play violent games) or it crashes.
Save-anywhere doesn't fix those problems unless you're looking at only suspended games (which I do not advocate). Are you saving at literally every second? Every moment of downtime? Losing progress is a part of gaming. Often external factors influence losing progress or in-game events: A friend of mine messed up some quick-time inputs in Until Dawn that would normally have been easy because it was late and said friend was tired.
(Children are a great reason to be able to pause games though. I'm definitely not a big fan of the no-pause thing like in Dark Souls, even if I do understand it.)

I argue that save-anywhere puts the designer in a significantly worse position, which makes the game worse for the player. Certainly save-anywhere puts the game much more in control of the player, but then you get into that category of the player needing to balance the game and make it fun. Why should that be the player's job? Simply because the designer can mess it up (either by placing save-points poorly or having unclear dialogue choices)? As Zimeon illustrated before, players are not necessarily trustworthy to make a game fun for themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

A suspend would do the same trick, no? I haven't been used to suspends much, but after I got the Switch, I really see the point, and they work wonders for insta-breaks.

No, it would not.

Often, when I'm called away, that cascades into a bunch of other tasks that need to be done, and my gaming is over for that time. I want to be able to save and quit, anywhere, at any time.

I don't want to be held hostage by a game. I want it to be like my interactions with books - where I can put in a bookmark and deal with life, and then come back to read when I have time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Harlekin wrote:
Not really. If for example a savegame gets automatically deleted once it got loaded I will lose progress if I kill the app (via ALT+F4, which for example I have to do if a kids comes in (which should be in bed) when I play violent games) or it crashes.

I half intentionally didn't count the situations of crashes, as that's the game breaking, and can be an argument for alot of things.

The things you mention are examples of games where I think that "saving anytime" is a very suitable design choice. Again, I'm not claiming that saving anytime is a bad choice for every game – what I'm saying is that there are types of games where "save everywhere" might be detrimental.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Zimeon wrote:
adularia25 wrote:

No, it would not.

Often, when I'm called away, that cascades into a bunch of other tasks that need to be done, and my gaming is over for that time. I want to be able to save and quit, anywhere, at any time.

I don't want to be held hostage by a game. I want it to be like my interactions with books - where I can put in a bookmark and deal with life, and then come back to read when I have time.

I don't understand – what you explain is EXACTLY what I mean with a "suspend" – save and quit, any time. Just like on the Switch. I can shut it off with 0.5 seconds notice, and then resume three weeks later if I wish.

The difference with a regular "save at anytime" and a "suspend" is that in the former case, you can reload the save an unlimited amount of time; which in some games (certainly not all) creates situations where the tension goes all out the window – as you can technically save every 5 seconds and just reload if anything should go wrong. With a suspend, you can save+quit at anytime, and anytime resume where you quit, but once you've resumed the game, the save disappears, and you cannot re-load it again. With this, you will keep the "can save at anytime" while not causing the above problem.

For most RPGS and stuff, it's a null-argument, as most RPGs only gain on allowing saves at any point. But certain action games, and certain strategy games can be harmed by a "save after each 5 seconds" system.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Caroline, to me "suspend" means "pause". It does not imply save state.

Edit: Are you saying you can turn the machine off in that state? Like sleep on the PC?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suspend save has been a standard industry term since the Nintendo DS.

It just means that you can turn the game off at any time and pick it back up later, without losing progress.

But you have no control over that save file, have no way to load it, preserve it, revisit it etc. For all intents and purposes, after you return to the game, it's gone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Suspend save has been a standard industry term since the Nintendo DS.

It just means that you can turn the game off at any time and pick it back up later, without losing progress.

But you have no control over that save file, have no way to load it, preserve it, revisit it etc. For all intents and purposes, after you return to the game, it's gone.
Oh, right. So doesn't help with the issue of save file corruption or recovering from unwinnable game states (e.g. getting stuck in the scenery)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.