Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think it does.

Getting stuck in the scenery might depend on the game. Some games are probably coded to run a check on where you are during a load.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnRayJr wrote:
Suspend save has been a standard industry term since the Nintendo DS.

It just means that you can turn the game off at any time and pick it back up later, without losing progress.

But you have no control over that save file, have no way to load it, preserve it, revisit it etc. For all intents and purposes, after you return to the game, it's gone.

Hmm, I've never played the Nintendo DS. So to me, suspend meant pause, not save.

Zimeon wrote:
I don't understand – what you explain is EXACTLY what I mean with a "suspend" – save and quit, any time. Just like on the Switch. I can shut it off with 0.5 seconds notice, and then resume three weeks later if I wish.

The difference with a regular "save at anytime" and a "suspend" is that in the former case, you can reload the save an unlimited amount of time; which in some games (certainly not all) creates situations where the tension goes all out the window – as you can technically save every 5 seconds and just reload if anything should go wrong. With a suspend, you can save+quit at anytime, and anytime resume where you quit, but once you've resumed the game, the save disappears, and you cannot re-load it again. With this, you will keep the "can save at anytime" while not causing the above problem.

For most RPGS and stuff, it's a null-argument, as most RPGs only gain on allowing saves at any point. But certain action games, and certain strategy games can be harmed by a "save after each 5 seconds" system.

Again, I'm a PC gamer and have never used a Switch.

Also, I like reloading to any point in the game.

As a game designer, I find all the arguments that saving or returning to any point as "ruining the flow of games" or "removes tension" as off-point. Why wouldn't you want players enjoying the game to their playstyle or taste? I'm not going to force you to read through a book cover to cover without being able to go back and reference a previous chapters - so why force video game players to do that? If someone doesn't want the same level of tension as someone else, why is that bad?

Honestly, I rather dislike how this discussion is going - it feels like certain people are trying to browbeat others into agreeing that a certain save system is best. So I'm going to bow out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Suspend is just dumping the memory to the disc and loading it again. It is a system feature, not a game feature. IIRC with some systems like the Nintendo DS this means that you can't play anything else in the meantime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
I agree with Caroline, to me "suspend" means "pause". It does not imply save state.

Edit: Are you saying you can turn the machine off in that state? Like sleep on the PC?

Yes, exactly. But I have to admit, that "suspend" is a term I learned in this thread – previously I'd probably say "temporary save" or something.

manukajoe wrote:
Oh, right. So doesn't help with the issue of save file corruption or recovering from unwinnable game states (e.g. getting stuck in the scenery)?

No, it doesn't. A suspend is just a "pause while the game is turned off".

Shortly, it allows you to quit at any second and turn off the game(*) and then come back later, but that's all it does. In that aspect, it makes it possible to save-and-quit at any given moment, all the while not inviting to save-save-save-save-save-load-save-save-save-save-load abuses.

(*) The Nintendo Switch does not allow the game to be turned off. You can go out in the menu, but if you start another game, your suspend/savestate will be deleted. But this isn't a necessary function in a suspend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
As a game designer, I find all the arguments that saving or returning to any point as "ruining the flow of games" or "removes tension" as off-point. Why wouldn't you want players enjoying the game to their playstyle or taste? I'm not going to force you to read through a book cover to cover without being able to go back and reference a previous chapters - so why force video game players to do that? If someone doesn't want the same level of tension as someone else, why is that bad?

It truly depends on what what game you have made. There aren't many games that truly win on "not save everywhere", but I do think that there are those games who do. In World of Warcraft, I could never load a save, for example – and I can't see how the game would have been better if I had been able to.

I don't think the analogy to books and movies here work. Every book and movie allows you to pause (well, not in the theaters) and replay, but I wouldn't say that this means that other media should do the same. Games are more versatile as a medium, moreso than books and movies, and I think there is a point in both games that allow saves at all points, and games that don't allow saves at all.

Of course, that everyone could enjoy a medium just as they like it sounds very tempting, but in movies and books, you can't change the outcome, which in a game you can. One might argue that "why can't you let the audience choose who Ivanhoe marries in the end?" and the reason is that – well, that wouldn't really make it into the same thing.

adularia25 wrote:
Honestly, I rather dislike how this discussion is going - it feels like certain people are trying to browbeat others into agreeing that a certain save system is best. So I'm going to bow out.

On the contrary, I am very interested in how this discussion is going – I like hearing various viewpoints, and arguments for pro and against. I do believe we're all influenced by the type of game we like most. For people who play mostly longer RPGs, of course save at all times feels most natural. But I've spent tons of my time playing shoot'em-ups and arcade platform games, and many of them would be absolutely pointless, or in need of humongous changes with a save, because without a save, you'll can't keep the same difficulty – a "game over" is so much harscher.

Imagine a super-hard platformer like Ori and the Blind Forest, or Celeste, without a save system. No one would play them. It would be ridiculous.

Now imagine a shmup like Perfect Cherry Blossom, or Ghosts'n'Goblins with a save system. No one would even remember them; they'd be cleared way too quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.