Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
mbmbmbmbmb
What are some features that you think every (or most) video game should have (i.e. ability to save at any time, invert axis options, etc.)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
YaVerOt YaVerOt
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
Armchair warriors often fail, and we've been poisoned by these fairy tales.
badge
Aoi Aoi toki ga toke dasheta.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: VGG QOTD 2019 June 30 - What are some features that you think every video game should have?
Don't spy on me
Don't crash the system you're running on
Don't ask for money during gameplay

Why these are features instead of baseline compentancy is beyond me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Re: VGG QOTD 2019 June 30 - What are some features that you think every video game should have?
Save at any time.
Pause (screw you, Dark Souls)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
endeavor
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
no in game adds (SOOO pissed seeing ads in shadow of mordor)
skippable/pauseable cutscenes
customizable controls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Inverted Y-axis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
Skippable cut scenes, particularly for second playthroughs or when you're on your umpteenth retry of a difficult boss or other section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll echo the save at any time and skippable cutscenes features. I also think inverted Y-axis should be there too. Even though I don't use it, I know a lot of people who do, and it's tough to enjoy the experience without it. Another thing I want in every game is subtitles. Games are getting better at having subtitles consistently these days, thankfully. But I always turn them on. I need to be able to verify what my ears heard is what is actually being said. Also, sometimes I eat noisy food while gaming, so cut me a break developers. This is a weird sticking point for me. If a game doesn't have subtitle options, I sometimes don't play it.

In games where it's applicable, a story summary or journal log is extremely helpful, especially in something like an RPG or open-world game. If I return to a game after a bit of a break, sometimes I can't remember what I was doing or where I needed to go, so having a summary of things up to that point can help me get back in the groove.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Mini games like games that used to be in Sega Dreamcast VMUs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Features that every game from Tetris to Mass Effect should have?

Change keybindings
Adjust sound settings
Adjust video settings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
Mini games like games that used to be in Sega Dreamcast VMUs.
Specifically, a fishing minigame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
A good options menu is key!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
ghostpants wrote:
In games where it's applicable, a story summary or journal log is extremely helpful, especially in something like an RPG or open-world game. If I return to a game after a bit of a break, sometimes I can't remember what I was doing or where I needed to go, so having a summary of things up to that point can help me get back in the groove.
This is something I never thought that I needed but now it's on the top of the list. I've had this issue a lot especially when since I end up with seasoned work loads.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
This is something I never thought that I needed but now it's on the top of the list. I've had this issue a lot especially when since I end up with seasoned work loads.
And actually quite a few games have this, in the "codex" section or similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maps you can annotate yourself!
Binoculars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
manukajoe wrote:
ooozan wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
I would love to see small clips like a trailer. Some games do have it, even the old Pokemon games had it when I think about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
ooozan wrote:
manukajoe wrote:
ooozan wrote:
ghostpants wrote:
I would love to see small clips like a trailer. Some games do have it, even the old Pokemon games had it when I think about it.
The Witcher 3 has these little narrated scenes that remind you where you're up to in the story. I'm not sure but it may be possible to watch the ones of previous check points as well? I think Darksiders II did something similar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember older games having animated codex's with descriptions, I like that kind of stuff too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mysti_Fogg wrote:
Features that every game from Tetris to Mass Effect should have?

Change keybindings
Adjust sound settings
Adjust video settings

I came in to post this very thing. I can't believe how many PC games I've played that do not have video settings menu. That's like having an oven that doesn't have a temperature setting. How is it supposed to work for everybody?

Pauseable/skippable cutscenes as mentioned already is huge too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jlerpy wrote:
Save at any time.
No faster way to destroy your game design.

Save at specific times, but suspend game anywhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Most people have answered what feature they would want games of a specific genre should have, but if something that I'd want from every single game, it would be:

* Let me change the control mappings; which button does what.
* Have a pause function

Else than that, most things are things I would like games to avoid, such as "don't give me an unskippable logo-after-logo presentation as the game starts" and "don't come and mess with online 'compare to everyone else' sort of insane idiocy" and stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." --Emerson
badge
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet (Shakespeare)
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like every video game to have a feature which probes the player's consciousness and adjusts to whatever that person's real needs are. So if you're playing because you're trying to take your mind off a bad relationship, the game will heal the relationship (or maybe end it and give you a better one). If you're broke and figure all you can afford is to sit and play, the game might put money in your bank account. If you're sick, playing the game could make you well. If you're steeped in a low, materialistic state of mind and need to see what more there is to life, the game might bless you with a dose of enlightenment. But the game will only do any of these things based on what you truly need, not just on what you think you'd like. That way, playing the game would always be undeniably beneficial to you and all concerned.

A little too much to ask from a video game? Well, dreaming doesn't hurt, does it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Save at any time, not at just set times. There is nothing more frustrating than to be playing and have something come up, and you either have to replay that section of the game as you drop it to deal with things in the real world, or you play on to the next save, angry that you have to rush through that section.

True in-game pause - one that pauses all things in the game, and doesn't just bring up menus while the game still happens behind them. This happens mostly in survival games, presumably to show how even pausing is dangerous, but it is frustrating.

Oh yeah, changing keybindings is a good one. I will always rebind keys.

The ability to replay cutscenes you've already seen. Or a way to make sure you don't accidentally skip them by clicking an extra button.

If there are in-game purchases, they are cosmetic only and you don't need to pay to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
-Pause

-margins of error
Unless you market yourself as some hardcore game, don't expect me to play a game where you need the equivalent skills of shooting ten 3-pointers in a row, bowling even a 200pt game, or keeping track of 15 different moving parts a one time

-SP
Single player mode

-no requirement for internet access to play
Obviously, if it's a platform where it needs internet to be downloaded and updated, that's different

-skip cutscene

-volume control
Especially separated out for sound fx, and another for BGM. Further refining will let you adjust speech/voice and other audio independently

-option to use alternative controls
More so on PC, so plug in a controller

-option to change controls/key-bindings
I like ESDF, NOT WASD. (Also, shameless plug to fill out the poll I created long after the thread got started)

-Explanation on things that could use more details
game modes, difficulty levels, and things that are important or irreversible. For example, putting skill points into ability A does NOT stack with global power X. Or once you decide to choose "mountain level set path", there's no turning back, and you'll be leaving some of your party behind

-Explain the difficulty levels
Sure..
For the Cleric: Altar Boy, Acolyte, Priest, Cardinal, Pope.
For the Fighter: Squire, Knight, Warrior, Berserker, Titan.
For the Mage: Apprentice, Enchanter, Sorcerer, Warlock, Archmage.
Sound cute, but I'd to have more details beyond some arbitrary term

-What the time periods are for time sensitive things
For example, I paid an extra $5 for a "Stimpack" in StarCraft 2 Coop mode. This means all XP I get in Coop mode will yield me an additional +50% XP earned. I like how mouseover text tells me when it'll expire (e.g. 25 days, 11 hours, 13 minutes, and 55 seconds from now)

For Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Sw), if you want to earn some sort of goodies, you'll need internet, and play challenges that are on a timer. They tell you when each of those will expire and get replaced with a new one (e.g. in 20 minutes)

-let me look at reference stuff while in game.

-make use of features of a system you're porting to
Admittedly, not all games need this, but if you're porting a mobile game to PC, let us use the mouse scroll wheel for scrolling, in lieu of "long swiping/flicking" motion that doesn't work as well on a mouse.

BONUS: Stuff I don't care about:
-I don't mind if you use the wrong pronoun (e.g. he for robots and women), generic ones ("them" for group or individuals), or being "PC" ("he/she" instead of just "he" for everyone)
Unless it's a mystery/puzzle game that relies on these sorts of details. For example, telling me the person I seek is a woman, but then using "he" for everyone.

-Wrong grammar
Wrong tense, or using the plural of something even if it's just singular. For example, "1 Potions" isn't going to send me back to the store, waving my receipt

-Wrong platform
If I'm playing a game on PC/Steam that tells me to "tap" on certain parts of the screen b/c nobody bothered to change "tap" to "click" when they ported it from mobile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil
Germany
Bremen
Bremen
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Some have already been mentioned, yet:

- Pausing whenever I want. It should also stop the audio.
- Skipable cutscenes
- Replayable cutscenes
- Skipable tutorials
- Replayable tutorials
- Explanation of available moves (if the game has combos)
- Fast dialogue (optional)
- Quick access to everything important (not navigating ten menues to get to the inventory)
- Cheats (in single player games), sometimes I want to play with an unlimited inventory etc.
- Adjustable voice volume
- Adjustable font size (some people play on a TV)
- Subtitles
- Language selection
- Language selection for subtitles separate from game's language
- Color Blind Modes
- Style options for subtitles (color, background, size, duration, brevity)
- Cloud Save (optional)
- Save whenever I want, some system to prevent save scumming is okay (similar to what Kingdom Come had)
- Option to disable intro movies
- Option to leave game with one click and not return to the main menu first (damn consoles! *shakes fist*)
- NVIDIA Ansel support
- and a lot more. but it is getting late - I will save here
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. An in-game manual, not just a controls guide like many Switch games have but more like the operations manual of the Wii Virtual Console and Wii U games.

2. Adjustable difficulty. I'm glad that The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and Over the Hedge had this. It would be especially nice to be able to change the difficulty at any time.

3. Tutorial(s)

4. The ability to save the game at any time. I especially like suspend points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |