Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
ackmondual wrote:
7th Saga (SNES)

That must be the biggest turn-off I've ever read in my entire life. Jeeper's bananas.
Really sounds like they were trying to take on the Final Fantasy series. Most they done was create a game that was decent, but hardly spectacular (sorry Enix.. you gambled big with that high hype bet!). IIRC, it got a sequel, but was only available in Japan (unless emulator version translated it). Ironically enough, they and Square Soft ended up merging, so not just a lame StarCraft quote... "the only allies are my enemies".

Oh, speaking which... StarCraft (the 1st one)

The only allies are enemies

I played this game first, and THEN read the box back. Part of it was the political landscape of plot in campaign mode. However, in versus mode, but even team games and coop games like players vs. AI, some took it as a "free pass", or otherwise some justification to unally with teammates, and then backstab them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
GibbRS wrote:
shelflife3000 wrote:
"Rogue-like" is an instant killer for me. (I don't even know what "Souls-like" means...) "Retro" is usually a turn off. And when I see "Indie" I think "Short and Unpolished."

Rogue-like or Rogue-lite (not sure which one it's supposed to be honestly) is definitely a bad one for me.

Those are two very different categories.

I prefer roguelike, but there are some rogue-lite that are OK. Rogue-lite basically means that they tossed out 90% of what makes a roguelike roguelike but kept one, or maybe two, features - just enough to lure in those who enjoy roguelikes.

Roguelike has different meanings depending on who you ask, but for me it means: permanent death, procedurally generated levels, and turn-based gameplay. For me it doesn't have to take place in a dungeon or have low-quality graphics (though many people also associate those with roguelikes, and call anything that doesn't have them rogue-lite).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What's "story" got to do with it?
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
GibbRS wrote:
shelflife3000 wrote:
"Rogue-like" is an instant killer for me. (I don't even know what "Souls-like" means...) "Retro" is usually a turn off. And when I see "Indie" I think "Short and Unpolished."

Rogue-like or Rogue-lite (not sure which one it's supposed to be honestly) is definitely a bad one for me.

Those are two very different categories.

I prefer roguelike, but there are some rogue-lite that are OK. Rogue-lite basically means that they tossed out 90% of what makes a roguelike roguelike but kept one, or maybe two, features - just enough to lure in those who enjoy roguelikes.

Roguelike has different meanings depending on who you ask, but for me it means: permanent death, procedurally generated levels, and turn-based gameplay. For me it doesn't have to take place in a dungeon or have low-quality graphics (though many people also associate those with roguelikes, and call anything that doesn't have them rogue-lite).

That's a fair description, I think. Here's a video someone recommended to me; it's where I learned the difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cu5RkWoW2M

Here's a shorter one I haven't watched yet:

In my experience, a Roguelike is basically a game where you repeatedly get to a point where you die and have to start all over. Maybe you learn from the experience, but each time you die you lose everything and start from the very beginning--no mercy. Next time, you'll likely get a little further before you die, and you may even get luckier, since part of what you're facing changes each time you start a new game. But your new character starts out just like your old character; and each time, that character dies permanently.

A Roguelite differs in that your party or character can return from the dungeon (or whatever the setting is) and deliver any loot collected. Surviving party members can also level up and get training or better equipment. The more loot and experience the party members bring home, the better off you are as a player; now you can afford to better equip the next team you send into the dungeon. If your characters die (and sometimes they do--permanently), you've still benefited from their earlier successes. Now you can recruit new characters and continue on.

So, the feeling of playing a Roguelike is that of imminent failure; at any moment, it might be Game Over. The feeling of playing a Roguelite is that of dangerous progress: you might suffer a total party kill at any time, but even though that's a discouraging setback, you know you've still made some progress and can continue the effort; all is not lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
So, the feeling of playing a Roguelike is that of imminent failure; at any moment, it might be Game Over. The feeling of playing a Roguelite is that of dangerous progress: you might suffer a total party kill at any time, but even though that's a discouraging setback, you know you've still made some progress and can continue the effort; all is not lost.

Heh, that's not the feeling I get from them. I don't feel like a failure, even though I have died an awful lot. It is a delightful challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Things that put me off:

- "Souls-like" - I tried Dark Souls for a few hours and I found tough and unrewarding.
- "Huge open world" - like Simon said, it's probably full of bland stuff to do. e.g. RDR2.
- "Retro" - I have no nostalgia and I don't want to play old style games. e.g. Super Metroid
- "Platformer" - these are almost always too tough, and I also find them unrewarding. However I do like games like Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia and Mirror's Edge. Maybe "parkour" can be considered different from platformer. e.g. Ori.
- "Walking simulator" - I've learned that I find these boring. e.g. Edith Finch.
- "Turn-based" - I've played through FFX and I found it very slow going. I like boardgames, but I prefer my videogames fast-paced. e.g. FFT.
- "Pixel art" - I have no nostalgia and I don't find this style attractive. e.g. Fez.
- "Multiplayer" - I like a few couch games (Mario Kart, Lara Croft) but generally nope. e.g. Destiny.
- "Adventure" - I've learned that this means point-and-click, and I don't enjoy this. For example, Machinarium.
- "Arkham" - I don't really like this combat style. I first encountered it in Shadow of Mordor I think. But I might give Arkham City a go since I have a copy.
- "Sandbox"
- "Farming"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
- "Platformer" - these are almost always too tough, and I also find them unrewarding. However I do like games like Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia and Mirror's Edge. Maybe "parkour" can be considered different from platformer. e.g. Ori.

I think this might be a misunderstanding – I use the term when I'm jumping around on platforms, but it has nothing to do with how difficult this jumping is. For example, I just finished Castle of Heart (still in the database queue), which was definitely a platformer, and it contained very few if any sections that were of any taxing difficulty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What's "story" got to do with it?
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
adularia25 wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:

Heh, that's not the feeling I get from them. I don't feel like a failure, even though I have died an awful lot. It is a delightful challenge.

A good player will never feel like a failure--but may often fail to make it all the way to the end of a mission. The "imminent failure" I mentioned is a thrill to some.

I'm not such a good player, though. I tend to feel like a loser when I lose and a failure when I fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Things that put me off:

- "Souls-like" - I tried Dark Souls for a few hours and I found tough and unrewarding.
- "Huge open world" - like Simon said, it's probably full of bland stuff to do. e.g. RDR2.
- "Retro" - I have no nostalgia and I don't want to play old style games. e.g. Super Metroid
- "Walking simulator" - I've learned that I find these boring. e.g. Edith Finch.
- "Turn-based" - I've played through FFX and I found it very slow going. I like boardgames, but I prefer my videogames fast-paced. e.g. FFT.
- "Pixel art" - I have no nostalgia and I don't find this style attractive. e.g. Fez.
- "Multiplayer" - I like a few couch games (Mario Kart, Lara Croft) but generally nope. e.g. Destiny.
- "Adventure" - I've learned that this means point-and-click, and I don't enjoy this. For example, Machinarium.
- "Arkham" - I don't really like this combat style. I first encountered it in Shadow of Mordor I think. But I might give Arkham City a go since I have a copy.
- "Sandbox"
- "Farming"

Your list is pretty close to a checklist of what I will play! Except for multiplayer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
adularia25 wrote:
Patrick Carroll wrote:

A good player will never feel like a failure--but may often fail to make it all the way to the end of a mission. The "imminent failure" I mentioned is a thrill to some.

I'm not such a good player, though. I tend to feel like a loser when I lose and a failure when I fail.

Aw... I don't consider myself good at roguelikes, but I'm stubborn, and refuse to give up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Zimeon wrote:
manukajoe wrote:

I think this might be a misunderstanding – I use the term when I'm jumping around on platforms, but it has nothing to do with how difficult this jumping is. For example, I just finished Castle of Heart (still in the database queue), which was definitely a platformer, and it contained very few if any sections that were of any taxing difficulty.
For example, Mario, Donkey Kong, Rayman. All too difficult for me. I could do Kirby but didn't find it very satisfying. I didn't grow up on Mario and I don't have platformer skills. I managed Muramasa but it was more of a RPG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
manukajoe wrote:
Things that put me off:

- "Sandbox"
- "Farming"

So...you don't actually like video games, then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtis Gibson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Open World" will often do it - I prefer a game with more structure.
The obvious "In game Transaction" and "Online connectivity required" do it.
"Multiplayer only" - I play games solo.
"Cover based shooter" - I like FPS, but over the should, diving for cover games.. nope.
"Point and click" - not a fan of these types of games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.