Subject: Do you use YouTube a lot for vg-ing? If so, for what? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't get me wrong. I still enjoy playing vg. However, Having YouTube to preview or cover other areas has been helpful.

Me:
To watch cutscenes of games I'd like to know how they progressed, but know I won't bother buying nor installing anyways. Even further to the point if it requires extra hardware (e.g. new handheld/console, or a PC upgrade).

Watch sample clips of a vg. For example, people talk about vg (here in VGG, the internet in general, and amongst my groups). "A picture is worth a thousand words". Screenshots can tell you a lot about a game. Well, "A video clip is worth a thousand pictures". For Humble Bundle purchases, many included demo clips, often hosted on YouTube, so I'd get an immediate idea if it's a genre I'd enjoy (e.g. platformer, shooter, puzzle, RPG-ish, "MetrRogueVania", etc.).

If I want to watch other specific stuff. For example, what the Final Smashes, super combos, X-Ray moves, etc. look like for various fighting games. Various eye candy for how Final Fantasy spells evolve. Also gameplay related like how effective certain items, strategies, etc. are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Occasionally watching a YouTube video for a tough part can give me a new idea how to approach a boss or tough platforming section.

Can be misleading though. If I watch someone doing tricky maneuvers that they only are doing to save fractions of a second on a speed run.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of videos I watch YouTube are video-game related. I watch video games on YouTube to help me decide whether to buy a game or not. I don't mind spoilers because I don't want to waste money on a game that is too hard or has inappropriate content. I also watch walkthroughs to help me get through a game I already own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I watch alternate endings or different option that I didn't pick on Youtube. Or boss strategies & speedruns.

I also will watch let's plays for games sometimes to catch me back up to speed on a game I have't played in a while.

I watched cutscenes for a Kingdom Hearts game before to get some backstory because I didn't have the title and didn't really want to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Hammar
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Never. Sometimes I resort to the nets to finally get the answer to whatever, but I don't like seeing the video.

Most recently, I looked up on the webs where to find the goddamn elusive ninja-fish in Breath of the Wild.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, quite a bit:

- Reviews and Gameplay
- Let's Plays (entire ones for Mass Effect 1 and Ori and the Blind Forest)
- Walkthrough excerpts, to figure out a tricky bit
- Cut scenes I will never see (e.g. all the love interests in Mass Effect series)
- Retrospectives (e.g. The History of Final Fantasy, Zelda etc)
- Top Ten lists (e.g. from WatchMojo etc)
- Tribute videos
- OST music
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." --Emerson
badge
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet (Shakespeare)
mbmbmbmbmb
YouTube has become my TV. Anytime I'm in the mood to watch anything, I open YouTube and browse. The mood usually passes within an hour, unless I happen to hit upon a two-hour movie or documentary or something.

I sometimes forget there's video-game stuff there, though. When I remember, I watch to see if a game I'm interested in buying looks like one I might actually play and enjoy. Or I'll watch a top-ten list to see what someone else thinks are the best games around.

It's much rarer for me to watch a video to learn how to play a game, or to learn how to get better at it. I'd rather just read about that or get hands-on experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A little, my favorite stuff are some of the GDC design videos, Eve online videos about thier strange microcosm on the interenet, and off course the odd video about whatever videogame drama everyone is talking about... the latest was a breakdown of the ProJared drama, that was wierd lol.

And I like some PS1 videos and top ten lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, not really. I'd rather play games myself than watch some no-name knucklehead try to play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
I've never used YouTube for video gaming but I sometimes watch the unboxing and how to play video game videos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls