Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever had to stop yourself from playing a game because it became unhealthy? What game was it? How often/how many hours did you play it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Virtua Cop when my brothers were playing. The constant flashing lights of the video guns nearly gave me a seizure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What's "story" got to do with it?
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Only in the sense that I sometimes say to myself, "Man, this is too much. I'm addicted to this game, and it's taking up too much of my life. I need to shut down the computer and go do something else. Maybe say hi to my wife, since I haven't talked to her in days. Or maybe go outside, since I've been indoors all weekend." That sort of thing.

I don't think gaming has ever been unhealthy for me in any other sense (maybe eye strain or something).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every now and then, yeah. I uninstalled Overwatch because I realize I'd gotten to a point where it was making me feel more miserable when I lost than it made me feel good when I won. It also was very easy to play whenever I had downtime or wanted to put off something else.

I've had to uninstall some board/card game apps as well for similar reasons. Like the Race for the Galaxy AI, San Juan, Tichu.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MUDs my freshman year of college. Had me spending too much time ignoring the people around me. Now I generally prioritize people who want to spend time together IRL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Have you ever had to stop yourself from playing a game because it became unhealthy? What game was it? How often/how many hours did you play it?

No idea how long I played it (6 months?), but Farmville.

It was supposed to be a happy little casual game to keep touch with my friends.

Except that I am hyper organized. So if the strawberries need to be harvested in 4 hours or they die within a certain time frame, then I stress about harvesting the damn virtual strawberries. This turns to anxiety over virtual strawberries dying in the fields. And then to me playing at work (bad me) when things are slow. And then to me buying things because I don't have enough friends to get all of the cats I want.

Farmville and similar games make me miserable.

I tried to go back to Facebook later on for the friends and it was equally bad as I got dragged back into the free games.

No more Facebook for me.

Other than that, new games have led to staying up late and not sleeping when I should until I can finish the story. And I go through general withdrawal symptoms if I don't play games every few days. I need mental stimulation and I get it from games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
One word

TEKKENblush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StarCraft + Brood War exp.
People weren't kidding.. once you play this game, you don't do your homework or go to work for weeks wow

You know it got bad when your roommates were surprised to see you NOT playing Sc.

StarCraft 2: Wings Of Liberty
I was playing it nonstop A LOT almost nonstop blushsoblueshake

Plants Vs. Zombies 2: It's About Time
I spent too much time on this as well. The game sucked you in via "timed events" where challenges/quests would replenish every 8 hours or so. The daily level would reset at 12am, local time. The equivalent would be like if a streaming service were free, but after watching for 3 hours, you'd need to wait 3 hours before you could watch more. You could pay money like $5 per instance to relax some one of those instances of waiting.

Speaking of which, I wish I could pay something like $5 to $10 PER MONTH to have done away with all that lousy grinding and "loot box-like" schema. I spent $55 total on this game, and had no regrets with that, but also had no regrets saying "adios" in the end.

EDIT: Added Starcraft 1. revised descriptions
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SimCity 4

In mid 2009 I had just moved from Czechia back to Australia and I was looking for work. There was a point at which I realised I wasn't looking for work, nor was I getting proper sleep. The reason being I was just playing Sim City 4 obsessively. So I uninstalled it and actually haven't played it since.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't get very addicted to videogames, so I find it easy to stop anytime, and don't tend to overdo it.

I have stopped playing games when I felt they were become too violent or immoral, and I didn't want to be participating in that. I find Assassin's Creed like that, basically just assassinate everybody without any moral consideration (or it may be that I didn't play long enough to get to that part). I like to play a good guy, generally. My renegade playthrough of Mass Effect is awkward.

I've also had to stop playing games because of motion sickness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
No. I have a built-in failsafe called ADD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Because of illness I've been at home for 2 years and slept very bad for several reasons, mostly not because of gaming. (yes, the following text will kind of contradict that, but it really was because of other reasons!)
During that time I played multiple mobile games that I had to uninstall even though I thought I still had fun. Several games required you to do something daily or after a few hours. When it was 11:59 PM I thought: "ahh let's wait another minute and do the dailies now. Better be done with it." Sometimes I even woke up to just go get something to drink or go to the toilet and I thought: "Better start the app and do a quick thing. Then I can do it again when I wake up". Eventually I found out that some games just kept me up when I should go to bed and some even controlled my sleep. I woke up when my chest in clash royale was done and I could open another. I seriously woke up, opened the chest, put a new one in the queue and got back to sleep.

I get kind of obsessed with the daily tasks. Must finish them daily and must finish them efficient. Get the most out of your day. Also with hearthstone. I only finished 1 quest a day, so that I had to play less matches the next day to finish the next quest.

I really have to watch when I am still having fun or just doing it because I "need to complete tasks". These daily tasks are really bad for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope you're doing better with your illness, Marco!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
Clicker Heroes.

At least one definition of addiction is to continue an activity even though it is harming your relationships or worklife. CH was doing that to me and I finally had to quit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Clicker Heroes.

At least one definition of addiction is to continue an activity even though it is harming your relationships or worklife. CH was doing that to me and I finally had to quit.

CH is seriously addictive! I watched my brother playing it briefly one evening and got sucked in for weeks. shake

Not sure this counts but there are a lot of games I can't play at all because they give me motion sickness. I can't remember if I have given up playing any for that reason, but I'm sure there were some before I got better at filtering them out prior to purchase. Occasionally one slips through - like last year when I nearly stopped playing The Room (on PC). I did end up getting through it but only by closing my eyes whenever I knew the camera was going to zoom in/out or move around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Dyke
England
London, England.
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
Maybe say hi to my wife, since I haven't talked to her in days.

Haha!

I think this has happened to me a few times. She'll text me early from work on my day off, an I will forget about it all day and not reply for like the entire day. She knows I'll be having a massive gaming session so it never bothers her.

Maybe I should set an alarm to say hi to the wife or something...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer
Osirus wrote:
MUDs my freshman year of college. Had me spending too much time ignoring the people around me. Now I generally prioritize people who want to spend time together IRL.

Heh. We used to refer to X-Wing, TIE Fighter, and Warlords II as "The GPA Bazookas".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
I really hope you're doing better with your illness, Marco!

Thanks, I am! Much better than before, but not a 100% myself yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization IV - When I was writing my dissertation (2010-ish), my wife would come home from work, ask me how my writing went, and I'd end up ranting about the damned Zulus. She was not impressed, and after a couple instances of this she strongly suggested I uninstall the game and use it as an incentive to finish the thing up. ...It did help.

Guild Wars - It was fun, but more addictive than fun and ultimately time consuming. I liked it, but eventually I realized it was getting in the way of other things, and it had to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I think it was mostly MMOs back when I played them/before I got bored with them. World of Warcraft & Ragnarok Online I think were the 2 main ones I was obsessed with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

I have an addictive personality, this threat lurks with any game I play that I really really like. But luckily, I have a few fail-safes:

1) If I overbinge on a game, like play for 12+ hours straight multiple days in a row, I can break the need of playing it everyday for an hour... it's not a great solution, but it works... (most recently used with Stardew Valley back in early June). Granted, it does require a crazy amount of free time to happen and is definitely not ideal.

2) Another is slicing things up so I'm always playing more than one game. This can dilute the need to play a particular game an unhealthy amount. And this is what I use most of the time.

3) Luckily, most of the time I have too much else going on to have this happen. Other higher priority tasks eat up gaming time... like this past weekend where I hardly played any video games... cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.