Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever subscribed to any gaming related magazines? Which ones did you like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Железный комиссар
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ghostpants wrote:
Have you ever subscribed to any gaming related magazines? Which ones did you like?

True story, I was subscribed to EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly) for a year or so leading into the 2008 global financial meltdown. The crash bankrupted a lot of print media, EGM included. Because EGM was owned by a company that oversaw several publications, they sent out a free issue of Maxim to subscribers with a mail-in card that let you permanently switch over your EGM subscription, or cancel it.

My wife (then-girlfriend) was not amused, but I certainly was!laughshake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a long-running Nintendo Power subscription when I was growing up, which wasn't complete but did go all the way back to issue #1 with the Super Mario Bros. 2 cover. Unfortunately I got rid of all those around when I went to college.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Ian, I had a Nintendo Power subscription as a kid, although I started later so I didn't have the first year or two as I didn't get a Nintendo for a few years after it came out. It was a charming little magazine.

I also had a PC Gamer subscription when I was in highschool, enjoying the CDs filled with demos+games that came bundled each month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What's "story" got to do with it?
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
In the 1990s, Computer Gaming World and maybe one other (probably PC Gamer). Even back then, most of the articles were about games I wasn't really interested in. But I liked the Hall of Fame and news about upcoming TBS games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
My younger brothers used to get the Nintendo Power magazine but haven't renewed the subscription for a while.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to subscribe to PC Zone (excellent gaming mag) but then they were bought over (by Future?) who already had PC Format and PC Gamer and I think they reduced their funding before cancelling them. My subscription moved over to PC Gamer but it wasn't anyway near as good and I cancelled it. I also subscribed to PC Format (for the mix of hardware and games) and noticed that they had some of the exact same game reviews as PC Gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
GeoffreyB wrote:
My younger brothers used to get the Nintendo Power magazine but haven't renewed the subscription for a while.

It would be pretty hard to renew at this point since they ceased publication in 2012.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Ahr
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
It starts like hello and ends like goodbye...
badge
The spirit is willing, but the flesh is spongy and bruised!
mbmbmbmbmb
Two. After I got my GameCube back in 2002 I subscribed to Nintendo Power for a few years. The reviews were never great but it was a fun, visually appealing magazine. I'm subscribed currently to Game Informer and have been in the past. Still a great source of information but unfortunately their format is basically dead. I still absolutely love Game Infarcer, though, and how many dumb people are tricked into writing angry letters to GI every year because of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Zoch
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
Daily Dad Jokes!
badge
What did the left eye say to the right eye? Between you and me, something smells.
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to subscribe to two: Computer Gaming World and PC Gamer. I thought Computer Gaming World was the better of the two -- it had better writing IMO. Unfortunately, it went out of print and only the more hip PC Gamer remains.

Long before my current PC days, I would pick up copies of Loadstar at the local bookstore. It came with a disk that was launched with a "Load *" command entry. The disk included all the programs and articles in the magazine. It was HIGH tech back then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
badge
Made you look!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had numerous subscriptions over the years - GamePro, EGM, Nintendo Power, whatever Game Stop shilled, and a few others I've probably forgotten.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I subscribe to Game Informer through my PowerUp Rewards card from GameStop, though I think they converted me to the digital version last time, so I never look at it. I subscribed to PC Gamer for awhile as well. I always liked it, but I didn't renew when my subscription ended last time for whatever reason. I also loved PlayStation magazine, although I never actually subscribed to it. I bought it frequently at my local grocery store. Nintendo Power and GamePro were also favorites, but I wasn't an actual subscriber to those either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
No, never. I wouldn't even know where to look for one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

My local library has subscriptions to a couple of the more popular ones and once or twice I flicked through PC Powerplay or similar. However that only served to confirm my opinion that gaming magazines are for people with broader (or possibly more mainstream?) videogaming tastes than me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Computer Gaming World for a year or 2, and PC Gamer for a year or less (unless it was only a few issues via trial?). For these, I like how they also publish required specs, and recommended specs for various games.

Otherwise, I've looked at plenty of them. From friends. From bookstores. Etc. Nintendo Power. Game Informer.

I did was buy an issue every now and then, including Electronic Gaming Monthly
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doctor X

New York
msg tools
designer

Yes. PC Gamer starting back in '96 when I finally got my own PC. I enjoyed it very much and really looked forward to it every month, especially the demo CDs (where I first played Diablo).

I still get Game Informer because of the PowerUp Rewards card for GameStop, but I buy from them infrequently now and I don't know how much longer for this world that chain actually has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST:                The Crystal Caverns The Fearsome Foes The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
I had PC Gamer back in the day, and read most of those almost cover to cover. The demo CDs always had great stuff on them.

Several years before that, my older brother had a subscription to Compute! magazine. I was too young to really appreciate those at the time, but can still remember "programming" a few very fun games by hand-typing machine code from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PSM! My Mom bought got me a subscription when it first came out. I have a special memory of it because my parents kept gifts to birthdays and Christmas, then out of no where my Mom shows up with this magazine. She quietly re upped it for 2 more years, and I read them all. I remember it called itself the Unofficial Playstation Magazine with 'Unofficial' being like some rebellious badge of honor. Ah the 90's pop culture.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did for a while (like 15 years ago) because it came with the GameStop rewards card or whatever at the time. I didn't remember which one, but I guess you guys saved me from looking it up laugh
ghostpants wrote:
I subscribe to Game Informer through my PowerUp Rewards card from GameStop

Other than that I don't really like magazines, so I never buy them. I occasionally used to look through them at the book store or whatever, but I don't really have time for them now and don't care much about the newest releases anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope, I was never much of a magazine reader.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lauren Allbritain
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I haven't. I have, however, purchased five issues of Nintendo Power Magazine at an antique mall: Pokemon Gold and Silver, Pokemon Stadium 2, Pokemon Crystal, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and an issue from July 2002 summarizing E3 2002 which has a collage of a bunch of characters including Mario and F.L.U.D.D., Kirby from Nightmare in Dream Land, and Bilbo from The Hobbit.

Ever since the Nintendo Switch was released, I pick up the free video game magazines from Walmart as often as possible, especially the annual issue that lists every game that has come out that year. I guess it's still called the Parents' Guide to Video Games, but I'm not sure because I only have the 2017 issue but couldn't get the 2018 issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
A "nope" for me as well.

However there was a limited run of a quarterly (don't know the name of the top of my head)that I got a while back that was nothing but concept art and design related images. I still have those in a binder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't subscribe to them but I did buy Sinclair User and Your Sinclair every month. Also quite a few Crash, ACE, and some Computer & Video Games too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.