Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: Headphones or just speakers? Discuss! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
At home, I have a desktop that uses speakers. In fact, my speakers, do, not, have, a headphone jack

Out on the road, if I'm playing games on my phone, tablet, or handheld device, I have a pair of $12 Radio Shack headphones I purchased about 2 decades ago

At group vg-ing events (public or private), we use speakers from TV and/or dedicated sound system.

When I game at a vg lounge, they provide, and will require us to use headphones. The ones I've been to use Steelseries brand, which have been quite comfy, and good quality. AFAIK, as I'm no audiophile. Still, it helps to take them off every now and then. Nicely enough, employees will spray and clean out headphones that were in use after a patron logs off and leaves.

I've talked with students who usually spend around $60 minimum for "decent headphones". Those are strictly for music, but seem like their needs would be applicable towards music as well. Luckily, I don't need noise cancelling headphones for my workplace.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Lately, headphones. My PC doesn't have speakers.

When I get around to setting up the TV again in the basement though, it'll be a 3.0 arrangement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joakim Schön
Sweden
Alingsås
Sverige
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Headphones on pc.

Speakers on console (but often no sound on the tv and sound from a vinyl mean while playing).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I just use earbuds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
Headphones when possible. Mostly because I play at night when everyone else is sleeping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually headphones as I'm on a laptop. Unless everyone else has gone to bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use headphones 90% of the time. I often play late at night, so I use headphones to be considerate. My gaming PC no longer has any speakers connected to it, so I always use a headset. I used to have a nice pair of studio monitors set up, but I've since moved all my recording/mixing work over to an iMac. If I take a handheld somewhere public, I use headphones as well. If I'm playing a console game in the middle of the day or something, then I occasionally won't use headphones, but it has become a habit to use them by this point.

For gaming, I almost always use a HyperX Cloud II headset, which is fantastic for the price point. I got it on sale for $80. I also have a pair of Sennheiser HD28 Pros that are usually used for music production, but I'll take them with me if I'm traveling and use them for music and gaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What headphones do folks use? Looking for a bit more details like cost, brand, specific features, or otherwise whatever folks are willing to share.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
Tasty Bacon! Crispy Bacon! I'd get it myself but I don't have THUMBS
badge
WHERE IS IT!? Where's the BACON??
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
What headphones do folks use? Looking for a bit more details like cost, brand, specific features, or otherwise whatever folks are willing to share.

Sennheiser HD 598

I had money from a tax return and they were on sale. Very nice. Open back means unless I have volume up to obscene levels I can still hear if someone is calling for me or if something else is happening.

No microphone, but that's because I haven't gotten around to it and I've done fine without one so far. If I had to though, I would get an attachable mic (like the Antlion Modmic) instead of a 'gaming' headset.

EDIT: Missed the request for more details. Sorry.

The HD598 is discontinued now, but was about $120 when I got it, $150 normally. Decent sound but not quite "audiophile" grade as that stuff goes for many hundreds of dollars. NOPE.

I was looking for open-back headphones specifically because I would only use this for my home and background noise would either be non-existent or something I needed to hear (like my son crying). Open-back puts less pressure on your ears too which is also a plus. I was looking for sub-$200 headphones with decent sound and they certainly provided that. Going with a 'gaming' headset usually means sacrifices in sound and the microphone quality, so I saw this as the first step to better alternative (once I bought the mic).

Just depends on what you want to spend and what you are expecting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When I use headphones, I use Audiotechnica M50x for my PC and Bose QC35 II when playing on the Switch. Noise cancelling for out and about, whereas the ATH-M50x have a good price to performance ratio and I can clip my TrackIR to one side very neatly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Lundström
Sweden
Täby
flag msg tools
Now who are these five?
badge
Come, come, all children who love fairy tales.
mbmbmbmbmb
Headphones if I'm playing on laptop or Switch handheld. I don't remember the model, but they're Denon, covering the entire ears, and they cost some USD200 or something.

Speakers if I'm home in the couch. That's a 5.0 system, 15 years old, with quite large speakers. Currently, only the PS4 is directly hooked to the amp, which gives me Dolby Digital if I'm lucky. The others just get a composite signal from the TV, so ProLogic if I'm lucky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♬ Stephanie ♩♪♩♪♩ ♩♪♩♪♫♪
United States
In the middle of nowhere
New York
flag msg tools
Honey + Yeast + Time = Nectar of the Gods
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only use headphones when I need to, which is usually because I'm using the mic (streaming), I'm trying to be quiet, or husband is watching videos (but, sometimes I just go in the other room and play consoles in this case).

Headphones after a while will start hurting my head, even the ones I have at work which are really comfortable. I have the Plantronics RIG at home & JLab Bombora Over-Ear Headphones at work.

I hate earbuds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a pair of wireless Sennheiser headphones for my downstairs gaming (PS4 mainly). It's not for immersion really, as it's just so my wife doesn't have to hear video game noise. She usually has a separate device playing Hulu or Netflix if I have the TV. I always keep one of the headphone cups off my ear so I can hear my wife ask me something, so I'm not really getting a good sound experience anyway.

On my gaming PC upstairs I just have the built in monitor speakers, which aren't too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use the HyperX Cloud Revolver headphones. I originally bought them to replace the earbuds that came with the Vive. At the time I thought they needed a 3.5 mm audio jack; I later discovered that the Vive does have a hidden USB port so I could have used that and gotten a surround sound pair. Oh well.

I find them pretty comfortable, and I don't really like many headphones. Both of the noise-cancelling sets I use at home and at work tire my ears after a while, but I can keep these on for long periods. I'll only use the over-ear variety and not on-ear or earbuds.

I don't remember how I picked them. I think I just perused the selection at Best Buy and looked up reviews. I don't remember what I paid either, although Amazon has them for $115.

Edit: not that I would recommend getting surround sound headphones necessarily. I hear they're mostly BS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Monica Elida Forssell
Norway
Sandnes
flag msg tools
badge
Gone swimming
mbmbmbmbmb
Sound off,pleace. I watch TV while I play.

But with PS2 games (and Learn Japanese to Survive) I use speakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Woodward
New Zealand
Hamilton
flag msg tools
badge
Move to the Frenzy
mbmbmbmbmb
I play on the TV and listen through the TV speakers. Sorry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What's "story" got to do with it?
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
Just the speaker(s) built into my laptop (or smartphone or DS Lite, when I play on one of those gadgets). I'm in a room by myself, and I keep the volume pretty low, so my wife never complains (though she does hear; a couple times she has asked what game I'm playing, as she thought she recognized the music).

I don't think I've ever used headphones or earbuds for a game in my life. Only for music (or a movie on an airplane), and only rarely for that.

Of course, I'm used to games like Master of Orion--no music or sound effects worth mentioning. So when there is something nice to listen to, it's just an incidental bonus to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
my Hobbes is a Madcat
mb
I didn't use headphone until about 2 years ago, and now I prefer them. There was tons of audio I was missing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
What's "story" got to do with it?
badge
"Drizzle, drazzle, drozzle, drome; time for this one to come home."
mbmbmbmbmb
middletonner wrote:
I didn't use headphone until about 2 years ago, and now I prefer them. There was tons of audio I was missing...

True, they do make a difference. I bought a nice set of earbuds for my phone, when I thought I might listen to music on it, and I was amazed. Not only did it sound a lot better than the little phone speaker (of course it did that), but it was some of the fullest, clearest audio I'd ever heard. Made me feel like I'd only been half listening to songs all my life.

But I'm still not an audiophile. And to me, the music in a game is like the music in a supermarket or sometimes on the car radio--just a pleasant background sound to smooth my way through a task.

And sound effects? In the games I play, they're optional. I could just as well play with the sound off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.