Vietnam ‘65
Atlantic Fleet
Mansions of Madness
Evolution (2019)
Artifact
Baba is You
Peregrin
One Deck Dungeon
Pokémon: Let's Go, Pikachu! and Let's Go, Eevee!
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
Ganz Schön Clever
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Godhood
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
Fort Sumter: Secession Crisis
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
31 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2  | 

Video Game» Forums » VGG Related » VGG News

Subject: VGGeek of the Week #218 - Jim Parkin (Annowme) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
Congratulations Jim!
bxrrr wrote:
Congrats, Jim! Enjoy your week in the spotlight!

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dolus wrote:
What game do you most want to see a sequel to?

I desperately want to see a new Escape Velocity game!!!

Many attempts have been made by third parties, but all of them have been flimsy, or off the mark, or overwrought, or too restricted. I played the original Escape Velocity with my brother, then a ton of Escape Velocity Override on my own, and most of all Escape Velocity Nova before, during, and after college. Part of me doesn't ever want a true new game in the series, because the originals were (and frankly still ARE) soooo excellent, but with the slow death of Ambrosia Software and old Macintosh developers (remember that, before it was Apple?) I know it's never going to happen.

But honestly, the game(s) are still pure magic. The immersion, story, freedom, customization, mmmm all of it. Go play them.

Then again, perhaps a new Escape Velocity game would defeat the purpose of the original. That is, they were great products of their times, and that led to a simplicity in presentation and very rich depth in story/quirks which might be missed if created today. Hmm. Curious.

Dolus wrote:
What game would you like to see get a modernized re-implementation of?

Diablo II, for sure. None of this Diablo III Activision/Blizzard crap. Diablo II was grim, complex roguelike perfection, but its newest incarnation was bloated and too beholden to the multiplayer spam culture of its era.

I'd like to see a remastered Diablo II, or something like its spiritual successor. I backed Stoneshard and eargerly look forward to it, as I think it's on track to be just what I want.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
What's your opinion on arcades and how they've changed over time? Have you ever wanted to own an arcade cabinet?

Do you enjoy replaying old video games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
A friend of mine had a pinball machine and a multi-game arcade console in his basement when I was a kid. To me, it was insane luxury, but as a kid, I really didn't care so long as I had access to it... It was mostly a Commodore 64-adjacent system, so we played Beachhead and Pitfall and Burger Time.

Beyond that, I cna't say I've spent much time at proper arcades, excepting beach vacations where there would be arcades setup along the promenade/boardwalk.

To your second question, I pretty much spend most of my video game time replaying old titles or trying "new" old games I've not played before. Call me a luddite or what have you, but there is a certain charm and complexity to older stuff that I have not found again in more modern titles. I also get the benefit of ease of access and less intensity regarding consistent time investment by playing old stuff regularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Dean
United States
Escondido
CA
flag msg tools
The Golden Camel UberBadge is a mystery. Nobody knows where it came from or how it got there.
badge
No one expects the Spanish penguin!
mbmbmbmbmb
And for console-based gaming, digital or physical?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Parkin
United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a small place of honor where my halcyon N64 still rests, cartridges carefully lined up for ready access.

Realistically, though, most of everything I play is either accessible through DOSBOX, GoG Galaxy, or emulation on ye olde laptoppe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.