Warsong
Slay the Spire
Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Limbo
Castlevania: Lords of Shadow
Galactic Civilizations III
Istanbul: Digital Edition
The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)
RWBY: Amity Arena
Evolution
Super Mario Kart
Planescape: Torment
Baldur's Gate
The Curse of Monkey Island
Diablo II
Star Wars: Dark Forces
Star Wars: Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar
Resident Evil 2 (1998)
Star Fox 64
Donkey Kong Country
Spot: The Video Game
BMX Simulator
Phantasy Star II
Super Mario Land
Jet Grind Radio
Double Dragon III: The Sacred Stones
Star Wars: TIE Fighter
Mario Golf
Brave Fencer Musashi
The Orange Box
Sonic & Knuckles
Zombies Ate My Neighbors
Romance of the Three Kingdoms
Star Wars: Episode I: Racer
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
NHL Hockey
Phantasy Star III: Generations of Doom
Batman (1986)
Diner Dash
Terminal Velocity
Mighty Bombjack
Kirby's Dream Land
Ristar
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
If you could create your own quest, mission, level, etc. in a video game, what would it be like? You can use any game genre you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
It would be an open-ended air world like the game Skies of Arcadia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jess
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this is exactly what you're asking about but these are some quest/mission-like things I have actually done:

I make up my own challenges in The Sims 3 from time to time (here's an example). Sometimes I play other people's challenge ideas and remix them with ideas of my own. I have 3+ ideas half written up that I may eventually get around to posting on the modthesims forum for Sims 3 challenges. (Or maybe they'll languish in my notes forever). Usually I do this to push myself to explore aspects of the game that I probably wouldn't end up exploring otherwise, as in the link above.

Or sometimes I like a game enough that I want to try out things that test the limits of what you can do/my skills. eg. After completing the main campaign in Kingdom Rush, I started a new save and attempted the main campaign with just a single tower type, first archers, then again with just mages and so on. This was back before before the sequels and before they added most of the extra levels that open up once you finish the main campaign (I think it only opened 2 of them). Was it a strange thing to do? Possibly, but I enjoyed it quite a lot - exploring the boundaries of what was literally impossible vs just super difficult.

Edited to add:
So it looks like - based on the this data set - I'm likely to come up with quests or missions for a game that force you to play with more restrictions than the game normally has. (Be right back, I have to go develop a challenge for Don't Starve where you aren't allowed a science machine... whistle whistle whistle ...okay j/k, pretty sure that would be impossible).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have done this before. I have created levels, but it really depends on the type of game and what you want out of your level. Do you want places to explore? Multiple paths? Ambush points and blind corners? Sweet ramps for driving tricks? There are so many factors that go into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If? I made a big adventure for ZZT that I really loved (not so creatively named 'The Haunting of ZZT'). Put a lot of effort into it, learned how to do all sorts of things with the internal programming language...and then somehow both myself and my friends lost any copy of it. cry

Generally I feel like I'd rather be able to 'houserule' video games than create my own levels.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.