United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm guessing for branding to show "it's them", but also seeing facial expressions makes the experience more immersive?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe the same as TV news vs. radio news: You see the lips move, making it easier to understand?

And have you seen additional wheel+pedal cams for racing/driving sims?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
What was in that cake, Dr??
badge
AROOOOO! BACON! You're made of BACON!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
I'm guessing for branding to show "it's them", but also seeing facial expressions makes the experience more immersive?
If the Let's-Player is boring, then they don't get the audience. Half the fun of many such streams or videos is the reaction and commentary from the player and their peanut gallery. For some, this means that getting their face and reactions recorded is just as important as playing the game.

Personally, I find it distracting and don't enjoy it, but I can see how those that care about the player more so than the game would enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My boys watch a lot of streamers and they're split. One likes to see their faces and the other says it blocks out a bit of the screen.

I'm sometimes watch Octav1us Kitten playing retro games but that's more for her reactions than the games themselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Stirling
Norway
Trondheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most successful streamers (and many other video content producers for that matter) do what they can to cultivate parasocial relationships with their audience. Their face on the screen isn't so much an optional intrusion as it is the "real" content for most viewers, even if they aren't consciously aware of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Hanses
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As many have said, it's something the streamer believes appeals to their audience.

I don't care for it myself when I'm watching a let's play, but some people really seem to like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." --Emerson
badge
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet (Shakespeare)
mbmbmbmbmb
It personalizes it. You get not only the voice, but a face as well. Like a video conference instead of a telephone call.

It's also reminiscent of being at a table with someone who's teaching you how to play a board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls