BioShock
Angband
Star Control II
18 Wheeler American Pro Trucker
Brave Fencer Musashi
Bureaucracy
Fear Effect
Ultima IV Part 2: "Dude, Where's My Avatar?"
Star Trek 25th Anniversary (Amiga/DOS/Mac)
Shining Force
The 7th Saga
The French and Indian War
Firelord
Reiner Knizia's High Society
Disney-Pixar's Cars 2: The Video Game
Prototype 2
Tropico 4
Galactic Civilizations: Deluxe Edition
The Witness (2016)
Sky Force Reloaded
Dominion by Donald X. Vaccarino
Assassin's Creed III
Le Havre (The Harbor)
L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition
Dominion Online
Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar
Broken Sword: Director's Cut
Toki Tori 2
Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
One Finger Death Punch
Battlefield 4
XCOM: Enemy Within
Lords of Waterdeep
DUELYST
What Remains of Edith Finch
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number
Borderlands: The Handsome Collection
Cities: Skylines
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Video Game» Forums » Video Game Related » General Video Gaming

Subject: Nintendo Switch Lite coming September 2019 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb

Official Nintendo Page

Nintendo Switch Lite is a smaller, cheaper Switch built exclusively for handheld play

Everything we know about the Nintendo Switch Lite

Nintendo announces a $199 Switch Lite handheld video game system

Nintendo’s Switch Lite doesn’t have to switch to be a success

The Nintendo Switch Lite Has Sealed The 3DS's Coffin

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In another thread, someone mentioned that this was the same price as a DS (or the latest 2DS?). It's nice to have choices cool

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDermott
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks to be the price of the 3DS.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AFAIK, this Switch Lite appears to be a "poor man's Switch". Probably be more geared towards kids. And Adults who don't spend much time at home, don't have a TV anyways, or do have one but use it for something else. Also better geared for handheld mode.

I think it would've been nice to have "table mode", but I guess that would've been too costly since this unit's smaller size would mean the Joy Cons wouldn't be compatible with "Switch classic".

Me... *if* I had to get a Switch, I'd definitely spring for a "classic". Still have a TV I could and wouldn't mind docking to.

Also, does anybody who what percentage of games are TV mode only vs. handheld only, vs. compatible with both? If hard figures aren't available, that's fine, but I'm wondering if there indeed quite a few of them, as opposed to just some "outliers".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zero interest in this device. Much more interested in a better Hardware-version of the Switch, which is still pretty underwhelming, power-wise. shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
which is still pretty underwhelming, power-wise. shake

This is the market Nintendo has intentionally gone after. There isn't enough room for three manufacturers all going after the hard core gamer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be so sure about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wytefang wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure about that.
Seems to be working out. Why join in the fray when Nintendo can carve their own market, and let Sony and Microsoft claw at each other?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The latest Xbox and the latest PlayStation are practically identical in all the ways that matter. The only things they have to compete on are price and exclusives. What would a third company in that market possibly have to offer?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Peristarkawan wrote:
I agree. The latest Xbox and the latest PlayStation are practically identical in all the ways that matter. The only things they have to compete on are price and exclusives. What would a third company in that market possibly have to offer?
Different OS and interfaces FWIW, there are some tie-ins with Xbox and Windows gaming. Ditto for Playstation and their PSP lines

FWIW, the converse has been applied... after the Wii got established, both PS and Xbox tried to get in on motion control, albeit in different ways. PS Move and Kinect respectively. They had some unique and memorable games, but IIRC, they didn't do THAT well. Seemed to be more of "afterthought markets".

Ditto with PSP vs. the DS. I figured the DS would still do great, but I honestly did think the PSP would win out. Turned out, PSP and PSP Vita ended up being short lived. The arguments from camp PSP said that even its larger screen was more screen real estate than the DS 2 screens, but.. it seems kids become enamored with its "two screens". That, and kids tend to break stuff much more, so the DS' lower price point surely helped with that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Hill
United States
The Republic of Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I waiting for a switch thats just a home console.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Feel free to GeekMail me your QOTD suggestions!
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've played my Switch docked maybe twice. I like this new addition to the lineup.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
God messed up and here I am!
badge
It is my firm belief that little puppy dogs named Mr. Poopytime will bring our country together!
mbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Peristarkawan wrote:
Different OS and interfaces FWIW, there are some tie-ins with Xbox and Windows gaming. Ditto for Playstation and their PSP lines

FWIW, the converse has been applied... after the Wii got established, both PS and Xbox tried to get in on motion control, albeit in different ways. PS Move and Kinect respectively. They had some unique and memorable games, but IIRC, they didn't do THAT well. Seemed to be more of "afterthought markets".

Ditto with PSP vs. the DS. I figured the DS would still do great, but I honestly did think the PSP would win out. Turned out, PSP and PSP Vita ended up being short lived. The arguments from camp PSP said that even its larger screen was more screen real estate than the DS 2 screens, but.. it seems kids become enamored with its "two screens". That, and kids tend to break stuff much more, so the DS' lower price point surely helped with that.
I'd probably also add that the DS using cartridges with far fewer moving parts and better load times probably helped a bit too - I have both and like them both but the DS just works better. My PSP still works but the disc holder is a little loose and load times even on simple games seem to have gone up as time goes on. Meanwhile my original DS Lite lasted until last year or so when I finally got a 3DS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Kelly
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
Allow me to introduce myself. I am Hexachlorophene J. Goodfortune, Kidnapper-At-Large, and Devourer of Tortoises par Excellence, at your service.
badge
If you can read this, then this sentence is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Engadget is reporting that a new revision of the Switch hardware will have 4.5 - 9 hours battery life. So the graphic in the first post needs to be updated: Switch Lite will have longer battery life than the current base model, but still shorter than the new revision which will be sold at the same price as the current revision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
U.S.A., Earth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:
wytefang wrote:
which is still pretty underwhelming, power-wise. shake

This is the market Nintendo has intentionally gone after. There isn't enough room for three manufacturers all going after the hard core gamer.
Also forgot to mention that Nintendo gear doesn't need THAT MUCH power. Too much and they'd have to charge extra for it. They just need enough that they could handle a decent amount of 3rd party games. The Wii lacked that power (many 3rd party devs painfully had to skip porting to it), but the Wii U did. AFAIK, the Switch is at a sufficient level.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.