United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Geeks!

Welcome to the VGG Arcade Yarn Game: a game that is not at all unique and has surely been done before! The rules are simple: I will start the game with a brief, simple story prompt. Twice a day, you may contribute a section to the story. I won't put any firm rules in place as far as the length, but let's try to limit it to a few sentences or a brief paragraph to start, and we'll see how that goes.

By putting all our creative minds together, we should be able to come up with something at least on par with a 16 year-old girl's Twilight fanfic (do kids still read Twilight?)

A couple more things to keep in mind
- If you want to discuss some aspect of the story (i.e. compliment someone on their contribution, make a suggestion, etc.), please use the spoiler tag, just so we can keep our chit-chat separate from the actual story
- Let's try to keep this PG-13 as far as content goes so people feel comfortable with the subject matter and welcome to contribute
- I've intentionally made the prompt very vague so that we can flesh out any details as we go

If you have any suggestions for any guidelines or rules, please feel free to share them. I'm all ears!

Now let's spin us a yarn!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David was sitting at home, relaxing on a Friday afternoon when he hears a knock at his door. A delivery man hands him a package that has no company branding or return address on it. When he opens the package, he finds a letter on top of several other items. He opens the letter and begins to read...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kailey O
United States
ASHLAND
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The more he reads, the more puzzled he becomes. The letter seems to be written in riddles. It also has no signature or any other indication of where it could have come from except for a line of strange glyphs on the final page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
"To David" it starts.

"When does Christmas come before Thanksgiving?
Open it up and start at the beginning.

It can be cracked, It can be made.
It can be told, It can be played.

Search for it and you shall find,
The second clue left behind."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Befuddled, David decides that he should grab a snack before continuing. He goes to the kitchen and grabs an apple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Then, he grabs a pen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taking a bite out of the apple, David begins jotting down a few notes to process his thoughts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
One thing and one thing alone is written down on his paper: Google. The answer to every riddle. He rushes over to his computer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kailey O
United States
ASHLAND
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After some Googling, he heads to the bookshelf and pulls out his dictionary.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
The words flow by, revealing terms he had never known to exist. Gamboge, phantasm, and so many other words floating by.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"I do what I do because it’s right! Because it’s decent! And above all, it’s kind! It’s just that… Just kind." -Dr. Who
badge
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
One word starts flashing at him: attaché
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
What was in that cake, Dr??
badge
AROOOOO! BACON! You're made of BACON!!
mbmbmbmbmb
He began to ponder at the word. "How do you pronounce that?" The dictionary demonstrates how. He never knew how that system worked with its lines and dashes and squiggly curves. He'd never admit it of course. He tried saying it.

AHH-TAAASH?

Like moustache?

He felt compelled to keep the dictionary and put it in his pocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Unbeknownst to him, the dictionary fell to the ground instead, as his pocket had a hole in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kailey O
United States
ASHLAND
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And when the dictionary fell to the ground, a piece of paper fluttered to the floor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
David immediately picks up the paper, as it fluttered down in front of him. It was a shopping list. However, there were some strange markings at the bottom of the list, not in his handwriting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"I do what I do because it’s right! Because it’s decent! And above all, it’s kind! It’s just that… Just kind." -Dr. Who
badge
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
He cocks his head. It looks a lot like the symbols on the vase he bought from that random guy on the street the other week. Where did he say it was ..... tamir? tamale? Oh! Tamil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"He was handsome. Maybe I should pay him a visit." He grabs the vase and heads out the door along with the letter and the shopping list, hoping Tamil will be at the same street corner he was a couple weeks ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kailey O
United States
ASHLAND
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sadly, when he gets to the street corner the man is not there. But on the telephone pole near the corner there is a flyer for a board game meetup at the local coffee shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
What was in that cake, Dr??
badge
AROOOOO! BACON! You're made of BACON!!
mbmbmbmbmb
David ponders. That would be a nice meetup, but what was going on with this mysterious riddle and writing on his grocery list?

"Hang on." He states out loud to nobody in particular. "Boardgamers enjoy puzzles. Maybe I'll find someone there who can help me with this strange riddle."

He begins jogging at a brisk pace to the coffee shop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
David is quite winded by the time he arrives at the coffee shop. Unfortunately, the coffee shop is has a large sign in the window. OUT OF BUSINESS That's weird, he thought, I was just here yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Meanwhile in another city ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caroline Berg
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
...124 to run fleeing from the mountain. ...125 to use a rope to climb the steep cliff. ...126 to quickly cast "summon stairs." ...127 to dodge under the falling rocks.
mbmbmbmbmb
...the morning is just starting. A fine drizzle coats the land in a glistening blanket of raindrops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
A strange-looking dog, apparently a mutt, is finding its breakfast in a spilled garbage can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kailey O
United States
ASHLAND
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In amongst the scraps of spilled garbage, several pieces of broken glass with strange glyphs on them glow faintly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." --Emerson
badge
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet (Shakespeare)
mbmbmbmbmb
The glyphs match those on the last page of the letter David was reading--the letter atop the items in the package. Oh yes--the items!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |