Video Game» Forums » Everything Else » The Arcade

Subject: Once Upon a Time... The Arcade Yarn Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Raymond Haaken
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Check my YouTube channel "Boardgame Heaven"!
badge
Feel free to geekmail me about reviews, or if you need a microbadge designed.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarice, on her way to work, sees the dog, and notices the glowing shards among thr garbage the dog spilled on the ground, and decides to take a picture of these strange glowing markings.
She posts them on Instagram, saying "look at the nice art I found on the street!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
"Adopt the pace of nature: her secret is patience." --Emerson
badge
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet (Shakespeare)
mbmbmbmbmb
David, still confused by the sign on the coffee shop, pulls out his phone to see if the board-game meetup is being held elsewhere. Fumbling, he misses the search window and opens the Instagram app instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays!
mbmbmbmbmb
Out of habit, he scrolls somewhat mindlessly. A few posts down, he sees his former neighbor Clarice's latest post. What?! He quickly clicks on her profile to send her a direct message.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
What was in that cake, Dr??
badge
AROOOOO! BACON! You're made of BACON!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Immediately the message comes back as blocked.

"Oh yeah, she's probably still mad about what happened last month." He whispers. He thinks back to the event...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, / Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." --Hamlet (Shakespeare)
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking out the front window, he'd seen that Clarice was all packed and ready to move. Her car and the rented trailer were loaded, and she was just bringing out a few last things. Well, she'd been a good neighbor, and David got the impression sometimes that she'd like to have been more than just neighbors, even more than friends. But ... anyway, the least he could do was go out and say good-bye. Oh, and return that book he'd borrowed! Now, where was it again? What was it? Clarice had told him it was a "must read," and he'd felt obligated to accept when she said he could borrow it. But what did it even look like? And where would he have put it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
He looked around his apartment for a few minutes when, under a pile of unopened junk mail, he found the book on a small table next to his couch. The Catcher and the Rye. I got like three pages in and decided to play a game. Ugh. Hopefully she doesn't ask me any specifics about it. Book in hand, he slipped on his shoes and walked outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
These are not the droids you're looking for. You can go about your business.
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
As he turns a blind corner, David runs right into someone and he drops the book. He bends down to retrieve it and he looks up. There is Clarice, looking rather angry at him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Oh, uh, sorry," said David, now feeling clumsy on top of having been uneasy. "I was just ... uh ... coming out to see you and--." But Clarice, glaring at him, interrupted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"It's a little late for that now, don't you think" she said, "after months of not coming out--or over--to see me?" For an instant her eyes softened, but she steeled herself and said, "Look, David, I'm about to hit the road. I just want my Gloomhaven game back so I can put it in the car and go."

Oh no! thought David. Gloomhaven. I'd forgotten all about that. I remembered the book, but that game--we played it over at Mike's house and ... gosh, that must be where it still is. Nervously shifting the book around in his hands, he stood red-faced, trying to think of what to say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Sorry, I guess I've just been busy. It's not because I didn't want to see you," he responded, stalling for a moment. Clarice continued to glare at him. "Uhm, about Gloomhaven. I think I left it over a Mike's house," he starts before quickly adding "and I'm really sorry about that! My mind has been all over the place lately. I'll make sure you get it back though! I at least brought your book back!" David tries to hand over the book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarice slaps the book out of his hand as her face gets red. I can get a copy of that book anywhere! She yells. Gloomhaven though... Her eyes lower towards the ground as she becomes eerily quiet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
She glanced up again - fire burning in her eyes.

"Don't you remember?" A whisper emanated from Clarice's lips. "It was signed by Issac Childres himself at CardboardCon. It is PRICELESS to me, understand?"

"Yes!" Dave yelped.

"And I'm leaving. Today. Within the HOUR!"

Dave blinked helplessly. There was a moment of tense silence. After Dave said nothing Clarice barked "So go get it! NOW!"

"Yes!" Dave yelped again, not sure what else to say. He scrabbled to his feet clumsily and began jogging to Mike's house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
By the time that David got to Mike's house, David's initial jogging turned into a very slow walk. Sweat was pouring down his face as he knocked on the door, using the rather cool door knocker that Mike had purchased at an antiques auction in Rhode Island. It looked like a twisted up octopus head or something to that nature.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike opens the door with a smile. "What's up man! You're looking sweatier than normal. How do you like my new door knocker? I call it Octo-knocker because Octopus. Anyway, what's up?" David, still trying to catch his breath, speaks in broken sentences. "Gloomhaven. Clarice. Need it back. Out of shape. Dying."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kailey O
United States
ASHLAND
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike chuckles and invites Brad in for a glass of water.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert McLaughlin
United States
West Jordan
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"So yeah, Gloomhaven. Love it. I'm only halfway through the latest section though. I think. Any way Clarice can let me borrow it for a bit longer?" Mike said while leading Brad back to the kitchen.

To Brad's horror upon entering the tiled room his eyes were met with the sight of a cardboard box soaked with coffee, a tipped coffee pot and a cat washing its face, all sitting on the top of the kitchen table. As Brad turned white as a sheet Mike awkwardly shooed the cat away.

"Oh. Sorry, I didn't think Mittens would do that. It's okay - I'll just snag Clarice a new copy. I think the local shop has at least three or four. It's not like there was anything special about this one right?" He laughed trying to break the sudden change in mood.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hedgepig wrote:
Mike chuckles and invites Brad* in for a glass of water.

* Mike always called David by his middle name, Bradley. David hated it, but it was no use trying to change his old pal's habit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seeing that his friend "Brad" had dropped to his knees and was speechlessly wringing his hands, Mike set the glass of water on the table and dashed out the door. Twenty minutes later, he reappeared in the kitchen with a big box in hand.

"See," said Mike, "a brand-new copy of the game. Tear the shrinkwrap off if you want, and Clarice will never know. Or leave it on and surprise her. It'll be OK, Brad; just lighten up."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Brad" was finally able to compose himself. He turned towards Mike. "Do you have a good life insurance policy? Because Clarice is gonna kill us."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff G
United States
Santa Rosa
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Move along.
mbmbmbmbmb
"What?!" Mike exclaimed. "I do, by the way, have a great insurance plan. But if she do try to lay a finger on us, or at least me, my robot dog will tear her apart."

Mike calls out. "Puddles, come!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ignoring Mike's attempt at levity, and his toy dog as well, David sifted through the game components on the table, looking for an Isaac Childres signature on the rulebook, the box, or anything. His heart sank when he saw the runny remains of it on the coffee-soaked box lid.

Breathing a futile expletive, he grabbed the box lid and the new game, dashed out the front door, and hurried back to break the news to Clarice.

Out of breath again when he arrived, and still feeling sick and fearing for his life, he spotted Clarice sitting on her front steps. She was hunched over, with her face in her hands, as if crying or fighting off despair.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh God... David thought, realizing Clarice was already upset about something. He slows his pace and approaches her cautiously. "So...," he began. "I've got good news and bad news, which would you like to hear first?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
David was stunned when Clarice looked up. For just a moment her eyes flashed a look of soft sweetness and delight, as if she was responding to a voice she'd longed to hear. But in the next instant, she assumed a stone-faced glare. She said nothing but just sat staring, waiting for David to continue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kailey O
United States
ASHLAND
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright...good news first...I have a brand new copy of Gloomhaven for you! And I made it back here without keeling over from a heart attack!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabe Hawkins
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Fireball!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarice's face remained unchanged save for a slight twitch of one of her eyebrows which David assumed was either confusion or contempt. "Aaaaand uh, the bad news. The bad news is that Mike's cat spilled a pot of coffee all over your game board and ruined it, Issac Childres signature and all," David said quickly, wincing, waiting for whatever verbal or physical assault was to come.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   |