Yoshi's Island DS
Fallout (1997)
Heroes of Might and Magic III: The Restoration of Erathia
Mortal Kombat (1992)
Pit-Fighter
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter 2
RollerCoaster Tycoon
Emperor: Rise of the Middle Kingdom
LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 (Console/PC)
Star Control II
Marvel Trading Card Game
Super Smash Bros. Melee
SimAnt
SimIsle
RoboSport
RollerCoaster Tycoon 3: Wild!
Alien Syndrome (1987)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Clear Sky
Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap
Titanic Adventure Out Of Time
Clue
Langrisser II
Lost Secret of the Rainforest
Rock Band 3
Xenoblade Chronicles
Swords & Soldiers
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

Video Game» Forums » VGG Related » VGG Bugs

Subject: The Divorce Thread: Should we split or should we join? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: vgg [+] [View All]
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
All engines full to awesome land!
badge
*tap* *tap* Is this thing on?
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello my friends, we are here to celebrate the join that will be this indissoluble marriage between name, IP and data (we are modern here and allow a 3-way marriage). If there is anyone against piling under the same entry, please speak now or forever hold your keys.

Use this thread to propose merges and split ups to the admins. Some games are released with the same name under multiple platforms. Most of them are pretty much a direct port, other need some working, but some are completely different in everything but name. In those few cases we will split up in different Videogame entries, but most of the time we will allow them to share the same entry been only different releases. If there is a release that should be split or two videogames that should be joined, use this thread to discuss.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Reserved

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Fretz
United States
Fleetwood
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I can see one major area where the split will almost always be needed. A large chunk of cross-platform games will see a handheld console release.

Often these releases share a name with their home-console counterparts, however the gameplay is often wildly simplified. Of course, this is a concession made due to, in most cases, the limitations of the handheld hardware.

This problem is being addressed by game developers these days. Often you will see a release that mirrors a home-console game with a slightly different title for the handheld market. A notable exclusion to this new trend are games based on a movie franchise. I'd use "Iron Man" as an example game; it was released across 8 different platforms, all with the same name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fretzy wrote:
I can see one major area where the split will almost always be needed. A large chunk of cross-platform games will see a handheld console release.

Often these releases share a name with their home-console counterparts, however the gameplay is often wildly simplified. Of course, this is a concession made due to, in most cases, the limitations of the handheld hardware.

This problem is being addressed by game developers these days. Often you will see a release that mirrors a home-console game with a slightly different title for the handheld market. A notable exclusion to this new trend are games based on a movie franchise. I'd use "Iron Man" as an example game; it was released across 8 different platforms, all with the same name.

Yeah, possible there. But still, even on handheld ports not all will warrant a divorce. For example, get two games that have the same storyline, the same characters (save for 1 or 2). On the Consoles it is a 3rd shmup, on the handheld a 2d shmup. Is it the same game? Verily, says I.As we posted on the guide, if it is only due to hardware limitation, which limits graphics, duration and controls, it is still the same videogame entry, otherwise split.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok First entry I think we should discuss. These are now joined together, but we may need to split up, can anyone provide more info on this?

Shrek the Third

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
Ok First entry I think we should discuss. These are now joined together, but we may need to split up, can anyone provide more info on this?

Shrek the Third

To me it seems like most the platforms at the same, but the GBA one looks like a puzzle platformer, whilst the DS one is a touch/microphone based game which seems quite distinct. Those 2 seem like they should get their own entries to me, but I'll admit I've not played any of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aloha!
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
Meega, nala kwishta!
badge
AAGH! YOU'RE TOUCHING ME!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
After checking over mobygames and around, it looks like the DS and GBA versions are completely different from all the others and should be added as a new videogame entry. What d you think?
I got this for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. What is the prevailing thought here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cold_fuzion wrote:
Quote:
After checking over mobygames and around, it looks like the DS and GBA versions are completely different from all the others and should be added as a new videogame entry. What d you think?
I got this for Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. What is the prevailing thought here?

Good question. I don't know much about the games, what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only that one, but All of the Harry Potter games may need to be split.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Daves
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My guess is that many of the older games will be simpler ports, but we're definitely seeing more cases of games being designed specifically for a platform. If no one has direct experience with them, I can spend some time digging through reviews and try to figure out what's what. The tie-in games are going to be our worst offenders.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Daves
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a compilation that didn't get split:
Final Fantasy Anthology (still listed under FFV & FFVI)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cylence wrote:

Versions killed. Someone needs to add the American version so I can move the images there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
cylence wrote:

Versions killed. Someone needs to add the American version so I can move the images there.

Adding it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Daves
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's another compilation from earlier:
Grand Theft Auto Double Pack (GTAIII, GTA Vice City) - releases are all under Grand Theft Auto III

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All gonme

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad V
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mega Man 4, Mega Man 5, and Mega Man 6 have 3 editions that should be a new game. The new game should be titled Mega Man Anniversary Collection.

Mega Man 4 and Mega Man 6 also have a PSX compilation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad V
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mega Man X, Mega Man X2, and Mega Man X3 all have editions for the Mega Man X Collection. The Collection should be it's own game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LostDice wrote:
Mega Man 4, Mega Man 5, and Mega Man 6 have 3 editions that should be a new game. The new game should be titled Mega Man Anniversary Collection.

Mega Man 4 and Mega Man 6 also have a PSX compilation.

These are fixed. Thank you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LostDice wrote:
Mega Man X, Mega Man X2, and Mega Man X3 all have editions for the Mega Man X Collection. The Collection should be it's own game.

These too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad V
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yohanleafheart wrote:
LostDice wrote:

These too.

Can you also remove the platforms from the top of the entry too (i.e. PS2, GameCube, Xbox, etc.)? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Reed
United Kingdom
Southampton
Hampshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LostDice wrote:
Can you also remove the platforms from the top of the entry too (i.e. PS2, GameCube, Xbox, etc.)? Thanks!

Done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad V
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization II should be be split from Civilization II Gold Edition. The Gold Edition is actually a compilation of Civilization II, Civilization II Scenarios: Conflicts in Civilization, and Civilization II: Fantastic Worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Sol
Brazil
São Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LostDice wrote:
Civilization II should be be split from Civilization II Gold Edition. The Gold Edition is actually a compilation of Civilization II, Civilization II Scenarios: Conflicts in Civilization, and Civilization II: Fantastic Worlds.

Indeed. That is from before the time we had the ability to link items for compilations. I will delete the versions regarding Gold Edition from Civ 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
Snake? What happened? Snake! Snaaaaaake!
badge
Your eyebrows won't save you now.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ran across some video today, the retheme/localization was pretty extreme for Magical Hat Flying Turbo (or whatever まじかるハットのぶっとびターボ!大冒険 really translates as) to Decap Attack (VGG ID 83525). Here are a pair of youtube reviews (IDs) for these games

watch?v=NUZ9hSrl8Nw
watch?v=-ZhsBnd5c64 (game starts at 1:08 on this)

Clearly the main gameplay is close to identical ... but should these be the same item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
very manly muppet
badge
muppet of a man
mbmbmbmbmb
So to clarify the rules: compilations get their own game entries which are linked to the games in the compilation, and the games in the compilation do NOT get release entries for being part of the compilation. Is this correct?

Pac-Man Championship Edition currently has several release entries for being part of compilations. They should be removed, if my interpretation of the rules is correct.

When I got my Xbox 360, it came with two discs inside the same plastic case. The first disc contained Sega Superstars Tennis. The second disc contained Feeding Frenzy, Boom Boom Rocket, UNO (2006/360), Luxor 2, and Pac-Man Championship Edition. Should all six of these games be lumped into the same compilation?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.